DIY DL spreader bar
    Tarp
    DIY sil hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ +TQ
    Suspension
    SLS
    Quote Originally Posted by meckelangelo View Post
    Did you mean to say that it DOES lay flatter, rather than doesn't? It seems that after you said it doesn't, you provided a description of how it does.

Single layer of 1.1? Braver man than me, especially for an unproven design! I suggest caution...

One thing I will note. It would seem your angles are only about half of what I used, so you probably would see an even more dramatic change with sharper angles.
    My shoulders are flatter (pretty broad ex power-lifter) as my left shoulder is always a touch lower than my right in a hammock whereas in this it is flat. My lard-arse still sinks a little though, as usual.

I'm only hanging a couple of inches up in my room so hopefully okay.

I think my angle will be slightly more than yours as I have a 3' left to right difference. I've not worked this out as feet and ounces are a nightmare for a European.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG (multiple)
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Von Porkchop View Post
    My shoulders are flatter (pretty broad ex power-lifter) as my left shoulder is always a touch lower than my right in a hammock whereas in this it is flat. My lard-arse still sinks a little though, as usual.

I'm only hanging a couple of inches up in my room so hopefully okay.

I think my angle will be slightly more than yours as I have a 3' left to right difference. I've not worked this out as feet and ounces are a nightmare for a European.
    I'm not sure I understand... In your original post, you said you had an 18" diagonal cut. I assumed that meant you measured in 18 inches on one side, and cut from the opposite corner to that point. If that assumption is correct, I did just this, but I had measured in 30 inches, or 2.5 feet.

Ex power-lifter, eh? Mind if I ask how heavy you are? I'm about 175 pounds, using 1.9oz fabric. I'll assume you're at least 25 pounds heavier than me, as an ex power-lifter. I would expect your fabric to stretch quit a bit more under your weight than my fabric did under mine, which might be why your 'arse' seems to have less support than what I experienced.

Just a lot of assuming on my part, though. Thanks for trying it out!

Hammock
    DIY DL spreader bar
    Tarp
    DIY sil hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ +TQ
    Suspension
    SLS
    Sorry 18" difference on each side, That's me not being clear.

I'm currently in at about 210 pounds, haven't touched a weight in a couple of years. I don't covet the flat lay all that much so my arse sinking doesn't worry me. The fabric is a bit light but it was just sitting there all unhammocklike so it got given purpose

Assume away

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG (multiple)
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Von Porkchop View Post
    Sorry 18" difference on each side, That's me not being clear.

I'm currently in at about 210 pounds, haven't touched a weight in a couple of years. I don't covet the flat lay all that much so my arse sinking doesn't worry me. The fabric is a bit light but it was just sitting there all unhammocklike so it got given purpose

Assume away
    Ok, so if you only took off 18" on both ends of the hammock, that's actually only 18" off the total length, and a smaller angle than what I used. I took 30" off both ends, and my angle was somewhere around 30 degrees. the result was one 60 degree corner, and one 120 degree corner. Your 18", and the 55" width of your fabric, is roughly an 18 degree (arctan 18/55) cut. Your final angles are going to be 72 degrees and 108 degrees. That's still pretty substantial, but not quite the 1:3 ratio I ended up with. You're is only about half that, in fact, at 2:3.

Not that those numbers mean anything. They really don't. Just trying to outline the differences. There's a lot of room for customization with this!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    SOLD, MYOG begins
    Insulation
    Zpacks quilt, pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by meckelangelo View Post
    I had seen that prior to posting my own thread, but after creating my own. I semi-ignored it because of the use of cotton fabric. Not to discredit Coffee, but because I have no experience at all with cotton. From the pictures alone, it is obvious to me that his results were very different from mine. For one, he is almost laying perfectly in line with the hammock, rather than at a diagonal. I found that the diagonal that provided the most comfort was more extreme than in a normal hammock, and almost perpendicular to the hammock itself. In fact, it almost also looks to me that he is laying in the exact opposite direction that I was. My hammock resulted in something of a cradle with no rigid edges at the head and feet, whereas his design appears to have extremely rigid edges all the way around. My the cotton stretches much more than ripstop? Finally, his starting fabric length was 3 feet shorter, and also about 9 inches narrower. I imagine that would also contribute, as it would allow for the more extreme diagonal lay.
    There's also another thread that references that one that discusses the Hennessey patent. Which would indicate that what you did works so well it has become the standard for the only hammock that MEC stocks. Good job.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    SOLD, MYOG begins
    Insulation
    Zpacks quilt, pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    There's also another thread that references that one that discusses the Hennessey patent. Which would indicate that what you did works so well it has become the standard for the only hammock that MEC stocks. Good job.
    Here you go
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...p?t=592&page=2

Hammock
    DIY RS custom
    Tarp
    DIY winter custom
    Insulation
    DIY UQ+TQ &/or bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie+Straps
    Do I understand this correctly?

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG (multiple)
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by e_2 View Post
    Do I understand this correctly?
    That is excellent! Well done!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Varies each trip
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    As far as I'm aware nobody (including Hennessy) holds a patent on a parallelogram shaped hammock.

One thing to keep in mind. A fabric is strongest and less prone to stretch along the warp fibers (length) and somewhat less along the weft fibers (width). Putting stress on the bias increases stretch, but it also decreases strength. One of the things sail makers do to compensate for this decrease in bias strength is use fabrics having different types of coatings and treatments to sort of fill in or hold the fibers together.

The original prototype in this thread was made from a 1.9oz pure finish fabric? If so, I would be concerned about failure, or at least separation of the fibers and stress marks in the fabric. Until there is enough data to properly determine good weight ratings, I would advise proceeding with some amount of caution.

I'm watching to see where this goes.
    Last edited by PapaSmurf; 02-23-2014 at 14:06.

Hammock
    Castaway
    Tarp
    working on it
    Insulation
    Golite 20 topquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    PapaSmurf you and I had a brief discussion on this at the Michigan Chili hang. We didn't get into much detail but you did tell me to proceed with caution. I still think this is a good idea but maybe for a cross/"X" style ripstop.