Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I had a tarp with a 16' ridgeline and it was a pain in the butt. I now have an 11' ridgeline and briefly considered a 12' ridgeline, but I have 6" of coverage on each end so I'd rather live with that than have to hang the tarp higher.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by BackpackerGuy View Post
    You just blew past my pay grade!

What is that in dog years??
    (tan dogs, obviously)
    I'm a Computer Engineer by trade, IT professional by employment, but a Hammock Hang Engineer in my dreams...

The answer is 14 Yellow Labrador years, but don't ask me to show my work.
    Hammeck - Hammocks, stands, and accessories, made by the Meck family.

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around
    Thanks All.

I like my 11-ft Superfly (DIY) alot, especially in cold weather when I can seal it up tight and anchor it to the ground, but it is definitely CAVERNOUS! I think I can get away with a rectangular 8-ft-wide tarp and still get plenty of protection, but it still is interesting whether it'll be a problem with suspension bumping. I know some vendors are making tarps in which the ridge line is a little shorter than the base lines to allow for doors, etc, without impeding the ridge suspension.

SnrMoment -- I get it about hte cats. When I made my 11X10, I made sure my cats were only about 3" deep - I get plenty or tautness but minimize the lost coverage that way. How did I come up with 3"? Well, I read up on the practices for cat cuts, then I measured for them, then I consulted Xtrekker's Cat-Cut Calculator.... Then I threw all that info in the trash and swagged it. (I'm an IT engineer, too...)

I think what I'll do is finish sewing it up W/O cat cuts and use it a few nights to see how it does at 12 ft.... and if it's a pain I'll just chop off a foot or so and then do the cats. Obviously, I don't want to do any cats before I get to final length since the length affects Catenary size/depth.

Anyway, I'll let you guys know the outcome and final decision. Thanks again for the info/thoughts.
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Cinch, Whoopie/Marlin, whatever
    JRB TQ with CCF underneath
    DIY tarps

"When In Charge, Ponder. When In Trouble, Delegate. And When In Doubt, Mumble."

Hammock
    Breyman scout 1.9 DL, WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 144 x 120 1.1
    Insulation
    PLUQ & Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Just fyi, I have an 11' hammock and 12' tarp. the tarp does touch the hammock suspension when no one is in it but as soon as I get in...the weight pulls it down and they don't touch any more. Love the coverage.
    "As part of your equipment have something to dig with, and when you relieve yourself, dig a hole and cover up your excrement. For the Lord your God moves about in your camp..." Deuteronomy 23: 13,14

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around
    Quote Originally Posted by Firetruck View Post
    Just fyi, I have an 11' hammock and 12' tarp. the tarp does touch the hammock suspension when no one is in it but as soon as I get in...the weight pulls it down and they don't touch any more. Love the coverage.
    Thanks - we'll see in a week or two....Hey, btw you're from Bartlett, by Memphis? My father lived in Scenic Hills 'til he passed. Bartlett's nice.
    SLD Streamliner DL
    DIY tarps

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    I just run the ridgeline tie-outs past my hammock suspension to get the height I want for each. It hasn't made any difference to me if they touch. I run the ridge line just to the side of my hammock suspension and alternate sides on the ends and it ties to the tree well under my tree straps.

You do need to get the tarp low so it isn't too far up from the hammock to get the best storm protection. In good weather, it is nice to have the option of getting it higher for more ventilation.

You can use the Hennessy approach by using hooks with Prusik hitch on the suspension to act as a line guide to keep the spacing between the hammock and the tarp consistent, but that relies on elastic shock cord side tie-outs to suck up the slack as you lower the rig when you climb in.

The cut of the tarp makes a big difference in coverage too. I have a Toxaway that has deep cat cuts in the sides and ends, so it's 12' at the ridgeline and 6'4" at the edges. that sort of design reduces weight and improves wind performance. Note the Hennessy Hex tarps are 12'x10', so it's not unusual length.

If you camp in forests with big and old growth evergreens, there is typically more space between the trees and a 12' tarp is easily swallowed up in the long hang. If you are in forests with smaller, closely spaced trees then a shorter tarp may be easier to live with. A foot longer tarp only gives 6" more coverage on each end.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleW View Post
    I just run the ridgeline tie-outs past my hammock suspension to get the height I want for each. It hasn't made any difference to me if they touch. I run the ridge line just to the side of my hammock suspension and alternate sides on the ends and it ties to the tree well under my tree straps.

You do need to get the tarp low so it isn't too far up from the hammock to get the best storm protection. In good weather, it is nice to have the option of getting it higher for more ventilation.

You can use the Hennessy approach by using hooks with Prusik hitch on the suspension to act as a line guide to keep the spacing between the hammock and the tarp consistent, but that relies on elastic shock cord side tie-outs to suck up the slack as you lower the rig when you climb in.

The cut of the tarp makes a big difference in coverage too. I have a Toxaway that has deep cat cuts in the sides and ends, so it's 12' at the ridgeline and 6'4" at the edges. that sort of design reduces weight and improves wind performance. Note the Hennessy Hex tarps are 12'x10', so it's not unusual length.

If you camp in forests with big and old growth evergreens, there is typically more space between the trees and a 12' tarp is easily swallowed up in the long hang. If you are in forests with smaller, closely spaced trees then a shorter tarp may be easier to live with. A foot longer tarp only gives 6" more coverage on each end.
    those are pretty big cats. How do you like your tarp - I had a hex tarp but went to a rectangle in the winter time, do you have any problems with heavy weather coming in and playing havoc with that coverage? Reason I asked, I am uncanny at picking hikes that include a storm of some sort.
    SLD Streamliner DL
    DIY tarps

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Brancher View Post
    those are pretty big cats. How do you like your tarp - I had a hex tarp but went to a rectangle in the winter time, do you have any problems with heavy weather coming in and playing havoc with that coverage? Reason I asked, I am uncanny at picking hikes that include a storm of some sort.
    Much better than the original stock diamond fly from Hennessy. Wind is the culprit and cat tarps do better. With any hammock tarp, you have those long edges just asking to suck up a big gust. Getting it all staked out nice and tight is the trick. The closer you can get it to the ground the better too. Porch mode is nice in calm air, but you need to get out and tuck those sides down if it starts to blow.

My Hennessy is ~8' end to end when hung, so the 12 footer gives me a couple feet of overlap on each end and enough width by the time the tarp is over my rig. Those diamond tarps always look weenie at the ends when laying in the hammock and looking up--- not much meat there.

If you travel in country with wet windy storms, it's time for doors I think. I lust for a big cuben tarp with fold-back doors.

Hammock
    DIY DL 11'
    Tarp
    DIY SilHex
    Insulation
    OWL UQ & Bag as TQ
    Suspension
    7/64th Whoopies
    Just put a 2' deep cat cut in the Ridgeline, then you won't be able to keep it off the hammock :O

Seriously though, I am curious to tally up the responses and see your final result.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleW View Post
    .... I lust for a big cuben tarp with fold-back doors...
    Yeah, me too.
    SLD Streamliner DL
    DIY tarps

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast