WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    SOLD, MYOG begins
    Insulation
    Zpacks quilt, pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    I think what people are missing is compression between the netting and hammock. With a Quilt or double layer the insulation hangs from the hammock and can easily expand downward. If you try to hang one hammock under the other the top hammock will try to compress the insulation against the bottom hammock. Easily compressed materials like down will collapse into thin spots before the net hammock will stretch. If you hang the net hammock too low to allow for some compression you will likely get cold spots from air gaps.
    I agree.

But to answer the OP, is there a cheap reversible way to use an old sleeping bag as an UQ?

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    diy 5.0 CSA uq&tq
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    I agree.

But to answer the OP, is there a cheap reversible way to use an old sleeping bag as an UQ?
    You could always just do a shug style pod setup if the SB is full zip.
    PitaPata Dog tickers
    you know you have a problem when you ask your mom to buy you a fosters........ for the can!
    my blog: http://tavohikes.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG!
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbling
    Images
    You want your underinsulation to loft, but the mesh hammock will restrict that. I recall reading a similar thread in which someone suggested using insulation that "wasn't easily compressible" and that would solve the problem.

Since compressibility is highly desirable by most hikers, many of us like down. Synthetic insulation is always less compressible than down, and the cheaper the synthetic insulation, the less compressible it is. At least that's what I see in my sleeping bag collection.

So get a really cheap sleeping bag with bulky non-compresible insulation and this idea will work better than with down.
    Propaganda is a time-honored, socially-acceptable method of sharing your religion with the world, and we Pastafarians are happy to be part of this noble tradition.

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    if he hangs the netted hammock.the same as one would for an UQ and suspends what ever he has or wants, it would work. As I understand the question , would a netted hammock hold the sleeping bag up under the primary hammock? Yes it will. he will have to figure out how tight or loose he wants it.
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    Sheltowee Insulated Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    You would still need to make sure that the ends are pulled tight, otherwise, the sleeping bag will gravitate towards the low spot in the middle, leaving cold shoulders and cold feet. Some simple cordage tied to each corner of the insulation and secured at the head and foot end would work. Also look out for 'width gap' that will most likely occur.

Basically, you will want to mimic typical UQ suspension with each corner pulled toward the ends and the ends cinched tight. The net hammock will be there to help hold the weight and the awkward shape of the bag.
    -Alex

Sheltowee is: INSULATED HAMMOCKS!

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Thanks for the tips, sounds like its worth experimenting with for my purposes. I'm looking to get by cheap, so while down would be nice, a used synthetic sleeping bag is more likely, and I'll be using it bicycle touring rather than backpacking so weight is a consideration but not so critical.