WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    DIY/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Question Rain Set Up

I'm sure this has been discussed at great length. But, I've searched threads back several months and couldn't find it.

After my first "real" backpacking trip in a hammock I have concerns about staying dry. I've camped in a tent in some pretty nasty weather and feel confident about keeping dry because the rain fly covers the whole tent down to the ground. But, with the hammock & tarp I feel like I'm exposed (especially at the ends).

I'm looking for tips on set up for driving rains. I try to consider my site location when setting to try to keep my hammock perpendicular to the wind. But, often the wind changes direction. It seems like even with my tarp hung low, close to the hammock, and pitched steep the ends of the hammock & UQ would still get wet with a blowing rain.

I plan on making a door kit (only for 1 end). But, any set up tips to prevent exposure with anything other than a straight down wind.

Hammock: WBBB
    Tarp: Mamajamba

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Setting up in a driving rain with a hammock is actually a bit easier than it is with a tent.

First, you set up your tarp. Then you get under it with your pack and finishing setting up under cover. You won't be dragging a wet, muddy pack shoes, etc. onto the place where you will sleep, your wet clothes can be hung to dry under the tarp, and you won't be lying in the mud with only your tent floor between you and the cold, wet ground.

Site selection will help with the end issues, but a set of doors will do more to solve the problem. You should be able to find some doors for your Mamjamba fairly easily.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken Halo View Post
    I'm sure this has been discussed at great length. But, I've searched threads back several months and couldn't find it.
    You are correct. It's not discussed here because it contradicts the 'hammocks are better than tents, period' theme.
    However, in the past little while there was a thread about quitting an AT thru-hike because of a soaked hammock and gear when the tarp caught wind and yanked the guys. Yesterday, a thread was started about an expensive Cuben fiber hammock 'sock' caught in the wind and damaged, etc. You need to 'read between the lines' a bit.
    Pitching a tarp with the perimeter off the ground (sometimes by several feet) presents a challenge in any serious wind. Add rain/snow and it is even more difficult. It's similar to the 'dining shelter tarp' problem when tenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Halo View Post
    After my first "real" backpacking trip in a hammock I have concerns about staying dry. I've camped in a tent in some pretty nasty weather and feel confident about keeping dry because the rain fly covers the whole tent down to the ground. But, with the hammock & tarp I feel like I'm exposed (especially at the ends).
    Your feeling is correct, IMO. I have the same problem when ultralight enthusiasts tell me that a tarp pitched with open ends is enough protection when tenting. My only suggestion for a hammock tarp is to get a large enough tarp to get the edges close to the ground, with 'doors' that close at the ends. Your Mamajamba would do the trick with end doors that close completely. 10' width is just enough to get close to the ground (but not touching, so you still have the windsock problem) with a low hammock hang.

Organize your tarp so that you can get the tarp suspended without touching the wet ground too much (a ridgeline up first is one way), and then have a pocketful of decent pegs to get the windward guys pegged down, then the leeward ones. A fast-adjusting guy system helps when the tarp is snapping in the wind. If you are solo, a good system helps make setup smoother.
    Last edited by VictoriaGuy; 02-24-2014 at 12:45.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I agree that doors are the best way to combat blowing precipitation and shifting winds. I don't rely on site selection because it's dependent on landscape features that aren't present at every campsite.

First you have to find two trees the right space apart from each other, then those trees have to be the right orientation for the prevailing wind, then the wind has to agree not to shift and ruin all your site selection mitigation measures.

Doors are easier.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I have the same tarp and hammock. Last fall my underquilt started getting some mist on it from wind blowing the rain. Not a big deal, but certainly kept me up worrying that night. I've since purchased the door kit and feel very comfortable.

You still have a gap at the bottom of the tarp and a bigger one under the doors, but should keep you dry. The ground below would possibly get wet but I haven't been in a big enough storm for that yet.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    You could also use your poncho as a "beak" for the end receiving the majority of the wind blown rain. The best thing you can do is get out and do some "testing" in a place that you can bail out if you get wet. I've been through some pretty good storms and stayed dry, so I'm confident in my system.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I had a tarp similar to the Mama (Big Daddy from Wilderness Logics) that I sewed half doors on to. They rolled and tied when not in use.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I've hiked and camped in some really nasty down pours and driving rains. I've stayed dry every time:

MacCat Deluxe dimension without doors has literally kept most everything out. I was at a shelter hanging with some thru hikers once and a huge rainstorm came in and I watched as the trees bent in the storm where my hammock was. I went back to my hammock when it passed and everything was dry as could be. pack, hiking shoes, quilts… all dry.

I have yet to need an under quilt protector or doors for 3 seasons. Winter is a different story. You have to do your best to keep the wind off your hammock to keep it from sucking your heat away.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Here is my "hybrid" tarp set up...Clark tarp with Warbonnet Mamajamba doors.

The tarp has slack in it because it was chilly and rainy the night before and I haven't tightened up the guys yet. I think this problem will be fixed in the future though because I've just attached 1/8 inch shock cord to the guys so they will have constant tension on them.
    Last edited by outdoorsguy; 02-24-2014 at 20:07.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    This is the reason I have an HG Winter Palace and use it year-round. At 12 oz fully dressed, it's probably the heaviest CF tarp, but I really like the extra foot of coverage on each side, plus the larger doors.

Overkill? Yep. But I have been poured on during almost every backpacking trip; the Allegheny Front is wicked. This tarp can be pitched higher than my other tarps, and I can *almost* stand up under it.
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts