Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacific Atoll View Post
    Thanks everyone for all the comments. What the comments did was made me go back and really study the web site. In my view, I saw the photo that had the three tarps all on the same ridge line. Since I am new at this, I thought that was the McCat Ultra. So now I know, and I apologize for not looking at this better, but had Brian gotten back to me, this thread could have been advoided with just his explanation. The tarp is fine, and I have no complaints about the product, just the customer service.

Again, thank you

Rich
    The reason for your concern and your need to post a thread on the subject are valid. There is no real excuse for repeatedly being unable to contact a vendor. In this day and age of never ending communication no less. Almost every one has a phone handy- which can text and e-mail- 24/7 these days, most especially people in business. There might be the occasional good excuse due to illness or technical problems- things being temporarily down. But any sort of repeated incidents, and over a period of time with more than 1 customer- people need to be aware this is happening IMO. Thank you for bringing it up. If I have it right, you still have not heard from OES?

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    The reason for your concern and your need to post a thread on the subject are valid. There is no real excuse for repeatedly being unable to contact a vendor. In this day and age of never ending communication no less.
    A good reason that online vendors should post (1) a bona fide individual or entity legal name, (2) an actual, physical address, (3) a working phone number, and LAST (4) an email address.

That's what legitimate businesses do. If not, they are hiding behind anonymous web addresses, which can be here today and gone tomorrow.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    A good reason that online vendors should post (1) a bona fide individual or entity legal name, (2) an actual, physical address, (3) a working phone number, and LAST (4) an email address.

That's what legitimate businesses do. If not, they are hiding behind anonymous web addresses, which can be here today and gone tomorrow.

Rain Man

Excellent point. Web businesses can just disappear.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

Rain Man

The hole in that logic is that there are a host of online companies without anything more than a web page, an email address, and fulfillment by Amazon. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around
    I've heard a lot of noise about the OES infamous lead times and lack of communication - and I read his apology with his 'promise to do better'. What we are all missing here, internet or not, logic or not, is that there are many companies that make outstanding equipment, and no single person or company can afford to be so cavalier about filling orders or talking to paying customers.

I don't care if the guy spins gold tarps out of wheat straw - this is (another) case of what seems more and more typical behavior on his part. I seriously considered ordering one from him after that, but not now. Since MY money, time, and efforts are worth something too, I personally will not even consider ordering from him at this point.
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Cinch, Whoopie/Marlin, whatever
    JRB TQ with CCF underneath
    DIY tarps

"When In Charge, Ponder. When In Trouble, Delegate. And When In Doubt, Mumble."

What amazes me is that he is still allowed to sell on here given his poor track record. I would be embarrassed to show my face around here.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    What amazes me is that he is still allowed to sell on here given his poor track record. I would be embarrassed to show my face around here.
    I think the important distinction is that he doesn't "sell on here" - this is just the subforum dedicated to discussing his products.

And in this sub forum, there is no shortage of information that clearly indicates that ordering from OES is a crap-shoot. While some people have been satisfied of late, odds are clearly not in your favor. The second sticky post in this sub forum is a clear admonition that there is a long history of issues, and that you should do your research before considering an order. 5 minutes of research would show that you're more likely than not to have a problem.

No offense to the original poster, but I think at some point a line needs to be drawn: you've been warned, the history is right there in front of you in black and white (so to speak), if you order from OES it is at your own risk. But for people to continue to come on here posting the same threads over and over about how they didn't get a response, didn't get product, etc. - there's not much left to do or say at this point. It's like someone that moves the wet paint sign out of the way so they can sit on a newly painted park bench, and then turns around and complains that they have paint on their clothes - to the person that put the sign there in the first place.

Caveat emptor, and you unfortunately brought it upon yourself.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I have watched this saga unfold for years, and marveled. It's not like there aren't other options that are equal or better in quality, offered by vendors that value their customers and communicate with them.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I have watched this saga unfold for years, and marveled. It's not like there aren't other options that are equal or better in quality, offered by vendors that value their customers and communicate with them.
    Agreed. I think the word "marveled" is quite appropriate.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DH TB & Dutch NylonD
    Tarp
    OES4S&Dlx, HG Cub
    Insulation
    UGQ T/UQ - HG PHNX
    Suspension
    Cinch
    I emailed Brian yesterday to inquire about a 4 season. He emailed me back within 10 minutes. I placed an order just after and received confirmation immediately. I woke up this morning with an email stating that my order has shipped and I should receive it by Wednesday. This is my second experience with OES and both have been very good. I don't post much or at all (technically) but I thought that I give him some affirmation to coincide with all the negative on here. Product second to none!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast