Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Super fly
    Insulation
    HG incubator o*
    Suspension
    webbing and buckle
    If you just get in to good food practice from animals you don't have to sleep wondering (what if). But most important once you have a $350 back pack ripped by animals and expensive gear carried away or worse get attacked by one. Then the 10 min it takes to hang or secure your food is priceless. Better to do it then to learn a hard lesson
    The path you choose in life. Should lead straight to a Hammock!

Hammock
    Mine-ziz.... Nachos
    Tarp
    Yuge
    Insulation
    safishent
    Suspension
    MSH, 1.4gpf straps
    I bear bag it every time. I cook and eat away from where I have my hammock & sleep too. It's not an issue for me to do, and helps me rest easy each night.

If someone I were hiking with left food in their bag, and it brought a bear to us - I think I'd be a little irk'd..

u.w.

u.w.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    I bag using the PCT method, but not for the bears, it's the **** raccoons that have been my nemesis. In fact, I had to add an aluminum cone over the top of the bag to protect against the more adventurous little b#%*#%'s. But I may have to upgrade my game after watching this guy---

http://gearjunkie.com/bears-can-climb

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    In bear country, I either do a decent hang or use a canister. In non-bear country, I use an Ursak Minor critter-proof bag and just tie it to a tree at head height. If I think there could be a random bear around, I'll hang the Ursak Minor bag. In many areas of AT with bears around, there are bear cables or bear poles (if staying in a shelter or shelter area) you can use to hang a bag.
    +1 on the ursac minor for non-bear and "light" bear country. I usually hang it but if it's an over nighter I sometimes have used the ursac tied to a tree outside of camp, but only when camping solo. When a can is required I have a bearicade weekender
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    They say "a fed bear is a dead bear", because they get used to us providing food, and become aggressive towards people, and find themselves on the dangerous end of a rifle.

I'd worry more about smaller critters. It would suck waking up on day two, realizing that critters got your food, and your next chance for food is day four.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey folks, don't forget to bear bag all your other "stinky" items as well. Deodorant, soap, toothpaste, sunblock, even chapstick all go in my bearbag at night.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gogrillz View Post
    Hey folks, don't forget to bear bag all your other "stinky" items as well. Deodorant, soap, toothpaste, sunblock, even chapstick all go in my bearbag at night.
    Excellent reminder.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 yd/sq oz Basic Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    I didn't see these mentioned, so I will toss in a couple cents.

I bear bagged on the AT, then slept with my food on the PCT. Last summer, another hiker turned me onto the Loksaks. These bags are quite good. You could put your smellables in the Loksak and then hang that from a tree. Or just leave the Loksak on the ground. User error can affect your experience, but if your reasonably diligent with your greasy fingers, I believe these will serve you well.

http://www.loksak.com/purchase/opsak-3.html

One night last summer, I came across some guys who had some hotdogs. They had a Golden Retriever. When he wasn't paying attention, we put the greasy, dribbly wrapper in the Loksak to see if their dog would still keep sniffing around. He didn't smell it, or maybe stopped caring about that juicy goodness that he had been so interested in before.

I don't have a ton of experience using these..but around 25+ nights. I put my food and smellies in the bag, and leave the bag on the ground 20 feet away from where I am hanging.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    DIY HEX
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Its been a few years since we hiked on the AT but we were stopped by a ranger and asked about a bear bag as well. He said there had been "excessive bear activity" in the area and then proceeded to tell us that a bear had entered a womans tent and bit her on the rear. I would definately take the extra time to hang your food.

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by FlightMedic View Post
    Its been a few years since we hiked on the AT but we were stopped by a ranger and asked about a bear bag as well. He said there had been "excessive bear activity" in the area and then proceeded to tell us that a bear had entered a womans tent and bit her on the rear. I would definately take the extra time to hang your food.
    Hmm. I've been known to do the same
    John aka Suede

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123