DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing straps
    Images
    @pineapplenewton like, pad flakes? I think a potential problem would be settling, and then the flakes would stick to each other with friction (and potential static) and not be able to be "fluffed" up and out to the edges easily. Once you had it where you wanted it though, it might stay put. (Due to friction.)

The standard answer is: "why don't you try it and let us know how it works?" :P
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Thanks for the info on the lower fp down. I'm thinking it's worth a try. As to the fabric. It's quite shiny looking, a lot like the material my brand new Blackbird [:0) is made of. I tried to determine if it's sil, which I would not want (I don't think) for an underquilt fabric so I did the breathing into it test (hard to do, but doable), and also the suggestion to cover the shower nozzle with the fabric and see if water goes through. Water did come through, but it was a very resistant fabric with the water forming droplets through the fabric,, with the drops holding their shape just past the fabric barrier for awhile, (and of course water escaping all over the place around the fabric edges!). I actually took part of my brand new blackbird [:0) and tried the same shower nozzle test: the results looked remarkably like my Walmart fabric!! Anyhow, I'm game to try it out with not much to lose. I have a dozen yards or so of the fabric and 14 oz of down to play with from my old Crazy Legs bag. Perhaps it would be wise to make some sort of a small pillow with the fabric to see if it leaks down too badly rather than try it out on a whole big project. I won't get to it for awhile due to family obligations, but I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the help and advice. This forum is great! Pong

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    11.5 by 10 DRW
    Insulation
    diy conversion uq
    Suspension
    webing+ cord
    Images
    titanium_hiker my thought was to sandwich the pad scales or flakes between to layers of ripstop or maybe syl and sow between them like on a quilt where they stitch through it to keep the down evenly spaced. so one the pads wouldn't be able to move. I could position them where i wanted and there would be two layers of fabric between me and pads (hammock then top layer of pad quilt) I need a better name for it though.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    pineapplenewton... what you are essentially talking about there is a sewn through design. I would expect you to find the spaces between the "tiles" would be fast avenues for wind to enter and heat to leave. But by the same token.. only one way to tell for sure.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    11.5 by 10 DRW
    Insulation
    diy conversion uq
    Suspension
    webing+ cord
    Images
    I don't think the problem of wind getting in / heat getting out would be problematic as long as the channels are small then have them in most under quilts and down jackets and alike.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    don't confuse appearance with actual construction. What looks like a channel is, in the high priced products, simply one attachment of a baffle. I am having trouble visualizing sewing these tile "pockets" with a space narrower than the presser foot of the machine. On my machine that would be about 5/8". That's a big gap. But I don't want to rain on your parade.... Give it a try....

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    11.5 by 10 DRW
    Insulation
    diy conversion uq
    Suspension
    webing+ cord
    Images
    thanks for your help what you are saying makes seance but i think im going to try anyway.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapplenewton View Post
    thanks for your help what you are saying makes seance but i think im going to try anyway.

Go for it!!

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    11.5 by 10 DRW
    Insulation
    diy conversion uq
    Suspension
    webing+ cord
    Images
    If I can get to walmart today ill start tonight and maybe take some pictures