Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Octo it is what it is! The acceptance of that is not a dark view at all, even by my stating it is not dark as you refer! By my statement fits the overall theme of posts not counting, yet you seem to think my view is skewed??

You know what I had a lot more typed out in response but it is not worth it!
    This Yoda dude is a lot different than the Cranky Bear I remember. He would have left no arrows in the quiver!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    This Yoda dude is a lot different than the Cranky Bear I remember. He would have left no arrows in the quiver!
    Different name, same person. I have changed a bit, and soon I possibly will change a bit more once the cutting begins, but that's a story for another place and time.

Left in quiver by choice....
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    So is the introduce yourself the only area of the forum that replies do not count now?
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountnman View Post
    So is the introduce yourself the only area of the forum that replies do not count now?
    Trying to get an answer on that myself - not that I care; just curious.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Admin will have to tell us what sub-forums are not included in posts count.
    I just picked on For-Sale and Introduce Yourself sub-forums for examples sake.

A lot of forums, all the "off-topic" forums, don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountnman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Trying to get an answer on that myself - not that I care; just curious.
    The only two forums I know of where posting does not increase your post count are the Introduce Yourself and Holding Zone forums. Some folks feel that replying to new threads in the Introduce Yourself forum with "Welcome to the forums" is a good way to boost their post count above 50. Once at 50 posts they have the ability to post in the For Sale forums. Sh2dow went on a post spree in the Introduce Yourself subforum Friday or Saturday night, a night when 2/3 of the moderation team were at or on their way to NEHHA. His or her effective post count is 7 despite some 30+ posts made over the course of a few hours. It's a measure to prevent people from gaming the system. Maybe he/she was just being friendly. Who knows.

To the best of my knowledge these changes were made by Just Jeff/Cannibal/John Sawyer/AngrySparrow and the current team has just carried them forward. I'm a relatively new addition so it's possible I'm wrong about that.

I guess that crap doesn't mean anything anymore.
    This is a dark statement.

By my statement fits the overall theme of posts not counting, yet you seem to think my view is skewed??
    If post count is more important than post content to you, then yes your view is skewed. I'm happy to welcome new people into our community regardless of post count.

You know what I had a lot more typed out in response but it is not worth it!
    I'm happy to listen. Post happy thoughts here, send negative ones in a PM so it doesn't spill over into the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by octothorpesarus View Post
    The only two forums I know of where posting does not increase your post count are the Introduce Yourself and Holding Zone forums. Some folks feel that replying to new threads in the Introduce Yourself forum with "Welcome to the forums" is a good way to boost their post count above 50. Once at 50 posts they have the ability to post in the For Sale forums. Sh2dow went on a post spree in the Introduce Yourself subforum Friday or Saturday night, a night when 2/3 of the moderation team were at or on their way to NEHHA. His or her effective post count is 7 despite some 30+ posts made over the course of a few hours. It's a measure to prevent people from gaming the system. Maybe he/she was just being friendly. Who knows.

To the best of my knowledge these changes were made by Just Jeff/Cannibal/John Sawyer/AngrySparrow and the current team has just carried them forward. I'm a relatively new addition so it's possible I'm wrong about that.

This is a dark statement.

If post count is more important than post content to you, then yes your view is skewed. I'm happy to welcome new people into our community regardless of post count.

I'm happy to listen. Post happy thoughts here, send negative ones in a PM so it doesn't spill over into the forums.
    Anyone can pull snip it's from any post, twist it and completely misinterpret someone's statements! To which you have now done twice. To me this is completely wrong, and for an admin/mod to do so trying to assert themselves should never happen!

The context of my statements "AS WRITTEN" point to an issue of how the forum and it's members have progressed to a level that I feel is "WRONG". Posting a post in the introduce yourself means something, yet I have seen many not post there as there "First post", even some whom just go straight to the for sale forum and post! You don't see this as wrong? And also to try and belittle someone for their opinion that post count means something is absolutely wrong! We took our time a to post on a forum we care about, so that number does mean a little bit more to some, maybe you should recognize that fact!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Anyone can pull snip it's from any post, twist it and completely misinterpret someone's statements! To which you have now done twice. To me this is completely wrong, and for an admin/mod to do so trying to assert themselves should never happen!
    Yoda,

I guess you and I are just on two different wavelengths. Misinterpret? Apparently so. Twist? No, certainly not intentional. If you feel I've wronged you I apologize. My intentions are to keep HF a welcome, upbeat place for everyone. I am trying to keep negativity from creeping into the forums.

The context of my statements "AS WRITTEN" point to an issue of how the forum and it's members have progressed to a level that I feel is "WRONG".
    You mean breaking up your statements into different parts? Like this? My intention is to respond to specific parts of someone's comment, not pull statements out of context.

Posting a post in the introduce yourself means something, yet I have seen many not post there as there "First post", even some whom just go straight to the for sale forum and post! You don't see this as wrong? And also to try and belittle someone for their opinion that post count means something is absolutely wrong! We took our time a to post on a forum we care about, so that number does mean a little bit more to some, maybe you should recognize that fact!
    This is definitely not how I interpreted your prior statements. Personally I'm not offended by a new member joining the forums and jumping straight into discussion without an introduction. I come to know people as we start exchanging ideas and experiences. Neither am I offended when someone I've never met places a classified ad in my local news paper. Since transactions that occur in our Market Place are practically anonymous, exchange of money for goods is done over very long distances the 50 post rule provides a very basic protection against people looking to take advantage of someone. So, no I'm not offended by someone who only comes to sell their gear. I am a little saddened that they would come only for a sale, not to participate in our community.

I'm not trying to disparage your opinion at all. Just the opposite in fact. I interpreted your statements as jab at the state of Hammock Forums. I think we have an oasis here and I want to preserve the comradery and politeness we enjoy. For me, I just don't see post count as a great indicator of who someone is. I put more weight the content of posts, not the amount. That's just me. I respect your opinion (and everyone here) even if I don't share it.

I care about the people that make up this forum which I why I put effort into preserving it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12