ENO Double Deluxe
    Tarp
    Pro Fly
    Insulation
    DIY Pod
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps

Trying to hang my little sister

It's going to be her first hang out in the State park and she can't wait! I haven't spent much on her set setup as it IS her first time and she's 12... so she's excited now, but tomorrow's a new day.

That said I got her the blue $25 nylon hammock from Walmart, if anyone's interested, and the suspension system is complete bollocks. I'm hoping to redo it on the cheap, as I get paid monthly, and would like to continue eating until the first. So here's my question: Does anyone know the weight limit on the Walmart carabiners (I know they're not for heavy use, but she's 85 lbs)? Or know where I can get a couple decent ones cheap? I looked at REI and they were out of everything but these $25 deals and I just can't pay $50 to get Little Bit in the air. Would double or tripling cheap 'biners be safe? If I have to I'll spend the money 'cause I'll be damned if she's getting hurt because I'm cheap... but I hate Top Ramen.

Also I use straps for my hammock because I don't trust Whoopies to hold my 260 lb behind, but Little Bit would be fine. That said my good 550 cord should work fine for her, yes? Or what about the nylon strapping from Joann's?

I've looked at different methods of suspension, but my biggest question, obviously, are materials. I'm still a noob myself and I know what works me ME, but as far as rigging someone else I'd sooner get the advice of those more experienced than myself. Especially where my baby sister is concerned. I'd die if she woke up to a broken tailbone because I neglected something.
    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views. - The Fourth Doctor

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    SOLD, MYOG begins
    Insulation
    Zpacks quilt, pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    .... There really needs to be a better word to use for hammocking than "hang". All this suicidal/death connotation.

Anyhow, is 2x $5.95 in your price range? I really doubt REI is out of ALL of these options:
    http://www.rei.com/product/783147/bl...gate-carabiner
    http://www.rei.com/product/471042/bl...ht-d-carabiner
    http://www.rei.com/product/782252/ma...gate-carabiner
    http://www.rei.com/product/782253/ma...gate-carabiner

You shouldn't need a locking carabiner.

Otherwise, just go to Home Hardware and pick up some screwlinks.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Varies

Hammock
    ENO Double Deluxe
    Tarp
    Pro Fly
    Insulation
    DIY Pod
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Cool, thanks guys!
    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views. - The Fourth Doctor

You are entirely correct about the supplied suspension not being great, but it will work for a hang with an under 100 lb. hanger. You can devise a way to pad the tree so that the rope doesn't do damage. If you can replace the suspension before you go that's great, but in a pinch use what you've got with some padding.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ & M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images
    Webbing tie die straps from Lowe's or harbor frieght are a cheap but robust suspension option.
    Directionally challenged...comicly so.

Thanks again to all the Vendors that supported the 5th annual Hoosier Hang gear drawing this year!
    Dutchware, 2QZQ, Hemmeck, UGQ,and Zpacks

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Inc.10, 35' bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Check out the suspension kits at the top of this page: http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/h...uspension.html

I just ordered one to use on the same walmart hammock for my daughter. $22.50 is hard to beat for whoopies, toggles, and tree straps.

atrain and his dad turned me on to this set up at the last NEHHA hang. Looked real nice in use.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    USGI PL UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/straps
    What did she do? Steal cookies from the cookie jar? Or steal your horses? Sorry, couldn't resist!

You can get ratchet straps from blue or orange or HF, use the stock hook as a Dutch clip, tie in a toggle with a marlin spike, and use a continous loop of amsteel larksheaded to the hammock, if you don't have amsteel, use some thing similar, she's light enough, you could prolly get away with polypropylene rope for that...have fun!

Hammock
    Diy tablecloth
    Tarp
    Aqua Quest 10X13
    Insulation
    Diy UQ MSS bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Had a couple of kids i wanted to hang from time to time but always got along pretty with my sister