WBBB XLC 1.7D
    Tarp
    Superfly or DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator +MSS
    Suspension
    Straps or Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    I like the zippered bug net because it keeps me from kicking my stuff out of the hammock at night if I toss and turn.
    I'll second this. I've only done one overnight so far but I must be an active sleeper because I lost the pillow I had under my knees.

Hammock
    WB RR, BB
    Tarp
    Cluodburst, MJ
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    D-rings and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    We will expect a full trip report after you finish lathering on hydrocortisone!
    Actually didn't need any. Being solo I didn't bother with a campfire so I was in the Ridge Runner with the net zipped when they came out 'bout 8:30. Only real bother was that I had the UQ slack and 2 ish the temp dropped to 54* and my back was cold. Every time I would think about tightening up the UQ the buggers would buzz my head.
    Ill try a trip report soon as I access the GPS to see what the track looks like.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The ENO Guardian style nets keep skeeters off the bottom of the hammock. Integrated is nice too but I understand about the zipper. For fun, these days my camping partners and I count the number of times we run the zipper. Maybe a little wax lube would help with the sound. OR, the ZZZZZZZ might sound like a giant 'skeeter and temporarily chase the others away.

Someone said they weren't found of the net on the WBBB but you know, you can unzip it on the entry side and tie it off. It is not as clean as tucking away the netting on the WBRR but doable. It is nice to have it all one package. I'd hate to take the time to travel to and hike in somewhere, leaving the netting home, only to find I needed it.

I do enjoy the light weight of a non-netted hammock, like on a day hike to a non-bug area. But I'm still going to carry a net, or have a hammock with built-in net if going to parts where bug community is unknown. As some have pointed out, it provides a little more warmth and wind barrier without going the full sock route.

Someone mentioned that skeeters don't get into the "hanging" style WHEN someone is in the hammock providing closure with pressure on the sides. It sounds like there could be entry when the hammock is empty. I think of it like this - while in skeeter territory, would you leave the screening/doors on your tent open when you are not in it?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    Can't mozzies get in when you aren't in the hammock with a fronkey? Then you'd have to stay up killing them all while balancing near the suspension.
    +1 on this. I have a fronkey style myself, but am looking to getting a hammock with a zip bug net to seal the hammock when I'm not in it. It's also less netting than a fronky style, (mine weighs as mush as my current hammock which is about 16 oz).

Also, my fronky style, being hung on the ridgeline, the ends of the net pull open at the end of the hammock and I've not found a good way to deal witht his. If I tie it shut I'm stressing the net. If I don't tie it bugs can get in. a zippered net attached to the hammock doesn't have this issue.

Another issue is setup time. an integrated net doesn't take any longer to setup than a non-net model. Maybe you stake out a tie-out, but you're not having to slide a net over a ridgeline and fit it to the hammock...much less try to use it with an underquilt.

My bugnet doesn't go below the hammock. I used the walmart window panels sewed together so I was limited to the stock length, which for my hammock and the sag doesn't extend beyond the hammock. using an underquilt wouldn't work well in that situration. with a zip on net it's no problem because the net and UQ aren't fighting for the same space.

edit: probably going to get a double layer hammock to help with the no net on bottom of the integrated net. I'll probably have a UQ on anyway, so not really a concern

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjaw14 View Post
    +1 on this. I have a fronkey style myself, but am looking to getting a hammock with a zip bug net to seal the hammock when I'm not in it. It's also less netting than a fronky style, (mine weighs as mush as my current hammock which is about 16 oz).

Also, my fronky style, being hung on the ridgeline, the ends of the net pull open at the end of the hammock and I've not found a good way to deal witht his. If I tie it shut I'm stressing the net. If I don't tie it bugs can get in. a zippered net attached to the hammock doesn't have this issue.

Another issue is setup time. an integrated net doesn't take any longer to setup than a non-net model. Maybe you stake out a tie-out, but you're not having to slide a net over a ridgeline and fit it to the hammock...much less try to use it with an underquilt.

My bugnet doesn't go below the hammock. I used the walmart window panels sewed together so I was limited to the stock length, which for my hammock and the sag doesn't extend beyond the hammock. using an underquilt wouldn't work well in that situration. with a zip on net it's no problem because the net and UQ aren't fighting for the same space.

edit: probably going to get a double layer hammock to help with the no net on bottom of the integrated net. I'll probably have a UQ on anyway, so not really a concern
    I've never had any mosquitoes get in my Buginator bugnet when I wasn't in it, or when I was in it. I'm not sure why a mosquito would want to go in a bugnet with no food. Curiosity?

If the ends of your Fronkey-style bugnet are pulling open, it's probably not long enough or wide enough. You can sew a channel and run shock cord through it to seal it, but it will probably rip anyway since it's not big enough for your hammock. Some people use omni tape to seal the ends but I found that to be less effective.

Lastly, I don't think you have a true Fronkey-style bugnet because the design is meant to go below the hammock and yours doesn't. I have never had any issues using an underquilt in my Buginator.

I will agree that setup time with a Fronkey-style bugnet is a little more, but I'm not a participant in the Hammock Olympics for fastest setup time.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    hummm maybe I'm starting to understand thanks to this picture...
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    personally I don't think you need a bug net in 40 and 20 degree temperatures because bugs are not generally active at those temperatures. But I can see the logic if you're camping in temperatures that fluctuate from 60 to 40 degrees.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    It's interesting to note that bears didn't even make the chart!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    personally I don't think you need a bug net in 40 and 20 degree temperatures because bugs are not generally active at those temperatures. But I can see the logic if you're camping in temperatures that fluctuate from 60 to 40 degrees.
    Actually anything under 60 degrees I don't use a bugnet. "Mosquitoes function best at 80o F, become lethargic at 60o F and cannot function below 50o F."

http://www-rci.rutgers.edu/~insects/mosfaq.htm

My NanoBuginator gets very little use during the year 'cause you won't see me hanging in July and August unless it's someplace with temps that discourage bug activity.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Actually anything under 60 degrees I don't use a bugnet. "Mosquitoes function best at 80o F, become lethargic at 60o F and cannot function below 50o F."

http://www-rci.rutgers.edu/~insects/mosfaq.htm

My NanoBuginator gets very little use during the year 'cause you won't see me hanging in July and August unless it's someplace with temps that discourage bug activity.
    This is true, i carry a bugnet for the slight insulation boost though, the no-see-um helps trap air and makes the place a little more toasty.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast