Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    pinballwizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Yardley, Pa
    Hammock
    keeps me happy
    Tarp
    keeps me dry
    Insulation
    keeps me warm
    Suspension
    keeps me up
    Posts
    281

    opinions of hammocks.

    I need opinions as to the HH Expedition model. I am 5'11", 190 lbs, and I was using a Yukon double. While not an upper end hammock, it was pretty big, gave a WIDE diagonal, and was very comfy. I have been trying out a hyperlite I just bought, and I am getting acclimated to it. I also acquired a new in package HH Expedition, along with it and am wondering about it. What are others opinions on it? I ask because i know that size can equal comfort and am wondering if I want to try to contact HH to see if I can switch this to an ultralite explorer for the difference, since the ultralite is on sale now and this is unopened. All opinions are helpful because I am trying to make a decision as to if I want to keep it, upgrade it, or sell it and use the money for a different hammock altogether. The hyperlite is my first and only opinion on HH, so I don't know if the expedition or explorer are more comfortable. I also don't have any experience on cottage vendors' hammocks. Cost is a factor to this poor student, so I want to make this count. I see myself keeping the hyperlite for myself or my gf, but am not sure as to what this hammock should be. Perhaps the Expedition is the hammock of my dreams and I just don't know. I just want to get some thoughts and educated answers before I open it and change it from New in Package, to the famous, "only used twice in the backyard" that you always see here. If another hammock will be a much better choice for me, I am alright with trading (or selling and buying) my new Hennessy for a slightly used cottage hammock. I need my gear in good shape, but I don't need to feel like mine was the only butt that sat in a hammock. Just not sure what the right move is with this.
    Thanks in advance for any help you can give this procrastinator that has a hard time with decisions
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

  2. #2
    kayak karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South, South Jersey
    Posts
    3,174
    Images
    7
    your right at the height limit. i have explorer, am 6-3
    It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Potomac Falls, VA
    Hammock
    HH Expedition & HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Posts
    858
    I am 5' 2" and well under 200lb

    I have both an HH Explorer and an HH Expedition. I like the Expedition and have no issues using it but I LOVE the Explorer. For me the lay is much flatter and I have more "wiggle" room in it when I am turning onto my side to sleep. I do not have the ultra light Explorer but rather the Explorer Deluxe. If I could have only one, it would be the Explorer Deluxe.

  4. #4
    pinballwizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Yardley, Pa
    Hammock
    keeps me happy
    Tarp
    keeps me dry
    Insulation
    keeps me warm
    Suspension
    keeps me up
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    your right at the height limit. i have explorer, am 6-3
    Is the explorer more comfortable? Is it just longer, or wider as well? I feel like the hyperlite doesn't have an inch to spare me, and am thinking the expedition may be the same thing, so I was thinking the explorer ultralite might be the right hammock if I stay with Hennessy.
    Sorry for all the questions and thanks
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

  5. #5
    SilvrSurfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG!
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbling
    Posts
    5,074
    Images
    1
    I'm 5'11 and 160 lbs. The Expedition is just too darn short for me. It was my first hammock and I slept in it many nights, but once I slept in an 11 ft. hammock, the HH Expedition hasn't left the gear closet.
    Propaganda is a time-honored, socially-acceptable method of sharing your religion with the world, and we Pastafarians are happy to be part of this noble tradition.

  6. #6
    Cactusjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    St Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands
    Hammock
    Danger Bird, WBBB, GT UL and Nano 7
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    KAQ Summer
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    63
    I purchased hammocks from a lot of the commercial manufacturers and cottage industries. 1st I started with a Hennesy Expedition & Ultra Lite Backpacker. 2nd I wen to a Grand Trunk Nano 7 and a Grand Trunk Ultra Light. 3rd I went to a Dream Hammock Dangerbird. 4th I went to a Warbonnet Blackbird. 5th I purchased another Dream Hammock this time a Roaming Gnome. Now I have ordered a custom hammock from BIAS "Butt In A Sling". Try if possible to lay in other peoples hammock to find what size and fabric thickness is right for you. You will want opinions from other but it really is a personal preference. I am still trying different length, widths, fabric thickness, net attached or net separate to see what I like the most. You can buy different types of hammocks for under $100 from the cottage industries then once you've tried it out you can almost always sell it on this forum and try the next one. Nothing wrong with a Hennesy but there are so many options out there that you should try.

  7. #7
    pinballwizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Yardley, Pa
    Hammock
    keeps me happy
    Tarp
    keeps me dry
    Insulation
    keeps me warm
    Suspension
    keeps me up
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by Cactusjack View Post
    I purchased hammocks from a lot of the commercial manufacturers and cottage industries. 1st I started with a Hennesy Expedition & Ultra Lite Backpacker. 2nd I wen to a Grand Trunk Nano 7 and a Grand Trunk Ultra Light. 3rd I went to a Dream Hammock Dangerbird. 4th I went to a Warbonnet Blackbird. 5th I purchased another Dream Hammock this time a Roaming Gnome. Now I have ordered a custom hammock from BIAS "Butt In A Sling". Try if possible to lay in other peoples hammock to find what size and fabric thickness is right for you. You will want opinions from other but it really is a personal preference. I am still trying different length, widths, fabric thickness, net attached or net separate to see what I like the most. You can buy different types of hammocks for under $100 from the cottage industries then once you've tried it out you can almost always sell it on this forum and try the next one. Nothing wrong with a Hennesy but there are so many options out there that you should try.
    I think this is good advice, and I am going to a group hang, the spring MAHHA in a week and a half, so I may have a chance to try other hammocks. I just spoke with Hennessy and they were willing to upgrade me to the ultralite explorer, and because it's on sale, it would only be 40 dollars more.

    So here's where I'm at: 40 more for an ultralite explorer BE, or sell my new one and take the money to invest into a different hammock altogether. I think for only a 40 dollar difference, there is no way I wouldn't change my regular expedition for an ultralite explorer.

    Here are my 2 concerns:
    1: If I go with the hennessy, I have to get the BE for the sale price. THis may mean a mod to 2QZQ at some point, when I get UQs, and realize I need to reach out to adjust them. Meaning more money I don't have sparingly to spend.
    2: If I go the route of trying to sell my expedition to take the money to invest into a different hammock altogether, I have heard someone else, (I think it was Silvrsurfr), say the return value of the Hennessy is not the same as other vendors. THis may not be true, and if it is, it may be bc you have to wait for cottage vendors where as you can go to REI to get a Hennessy. I wonder if mine, being new, makes any difference there.

    Anyway, I think I am between those two options
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Potomac Falls, VA
    Hammock
    HH Expedition & HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Posts
    858
    Look back at the FS threads. I think you will find that the HH line does not hold it's value near as well as the cottage vendors. I do not think it is because the HH is an bad product but rather because you have a longer wait with the cottage vendors so people are willing to pay more for a used product.

  9. #9
    pinballwizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Yardley, Pa
    Hammock
    keeps me happy
    Tarp
    keeps me dry
    Insulation
    keeps me warm
    Suspension
    keeps me up
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Look back at the FS threads. I think you will find that the HH line does not hold it's value near as well as the cottage vendors. I do not think it is because the HH is an bad product but rather because you have a longer wait with the cottage vendors so people are willing to pay more for a used product.

    Dkurfiss, I think you are exactly right. As someone who uses both hennessys I am talking about, what is your take on both models. Is the Explorer a BIG hammock, or just bigger than the expedition, but still kinda small compared to other hammocks?
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

  10. #10
    SilvrSurfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG!
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbling
    Posts
    5,074
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by pinballwizard View Post
    2: If I go the route of trying to sell my expedition to take the money to invest into a different hammock altogether, I have heard someone else, (I think it was Silvrsurfr), say the return value of the Hennessy is not the same as other vendors. THis may not be true, and if it is, it may be bc you have to wait for cottage vendors where as you can go to REI to get a Hennessy. I wonder if mine, being new, makes any difference there.
    Probably me who said that - I've been monitoring the FS threads for years, and HH hammocks typically sell for a steep discount (30% to 40% off retail). Doesn't seem to matter if they're brand new or not - HH hammocks just don't seem to move that well in the FS forum. So if you're trying to get near retail value, and you want a quick sale, well, good luck!
    Propaganda is a time-honored, socially-acceptable method of sharing your religion with the world, and we Pastafarians are happy to be part of this noble tradition.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •