Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    I've snapped 4 whoopies in a test fixture. They're very strong. Interestingly enough there was no real difference in breaking strength between a locked brummel and a 1 fid length bury, both with and without lock stitching.
    Very interesting. And where did they break? At the bury? At the locked brummel? Where is the weakest link?
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Lets not forget the dreaded Manbearpig!
    Are you serious? I mean really "super serious"?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    I...Interestingly enough there was no real difference in breaking strength between a locked brummel and a 1 fid length bury, both with and without lock stitching.
    I wouldn't expect there to be a difference. The strength is in the bury. The locked brummel and lock stitching are only there to prevent the bury from backing out under no load conditions. If properly made, they should have broke at the point where the adjustable bury exists the constrictor.

Hammock
    BIAS
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Hammockgear 3/4
    Suspension
    HammockFan Anchors
    Company owns the actual test data so I can't divulge specific results, however they were all in line with everyone's expectations. They break as expected, where expected, as rated. gmcttr has it right.

The setup we used for those specific ones was improvised on site as it was a last minute request. Two stake plates were staked to the ground a distance of 4m separation. A calibrated Dillon dynamometer was attached to one, a rated 7000lb Tirfor attached to the other. A safety line was also attached, a longer length than what we were breaking, and the test area was enclosed. It's about as simple as you can get for a test fixture, and all the components were recently calibrated so we're ok calling the results good.

We also broke a bunch of other stuff that day, continuous loops, both lock stitched and not, flemish eye splices in wire rope, double braid dog bones, double braid eye-splices on one end with a friction fitting around the other. Had lots of fun. The coolest was probably the flemish eye. I made a bunch of them, some with proper leg lengths, others with longer leg lengths, some swaged, some unswaged, some with the excess leg simply taped to the standing part of the cable with electrical tape. The unswaged broke at something like 350-500 pounds, however simply taping the legs to the standing part of the cable netted us 2500-3000 pounds fairly consistently before breakage. Swaged (properly constructed) were 4500-5000 pounds. We did all that stuff for fun off the clock so feel free to ask any questions about that one.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123