Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
  1. #11
    Senior Member NCPatrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    9,041
    Images
    40
    Nice report Hooch! I'm very fond of North Georgia. Sounds like you had a great time.


    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

  2. #12
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,628
    Images
    564
    good job Hooch! Those are respectable miles in most anybody's book, particularly when you're going up and down mountains in the bargain, and with that heat and humidity.

    Sounds like a fulfilling outing.

    Grizz

  3. #13
    stormcrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lancaster, OH
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    1,488
    Images
    25

    Great trip report Hooch

    That was a really nice section. I did that one in late December last year and it was beautiful. You did not find my neck knife going up the mountain out of Unicoi did you? LOL... That is where it jumped out of its sheath. Sounds like you had a great trip! I loved that section just after Blue Mountain Shelter, it stayed relatively flat for a few miles anyway... Great photos!

    Stormcrow

  4. #14
    Senior Member angrysparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    near Memphis, TN
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Posts
    9,686
    Images
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    You did not find my neck knife going up the mountain out of Unicoi did you? LOL... That is where it jumped out of its sheath.
    Have you ever been on a hike without leaving gear along the trail? It must be your own version of a breadcrumb trail...
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

  5. #15
    stormcrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lancaster, OH
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    1,488
    Images
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Have you ever been on a hike without leaving gear along the trail? It must be your own version of a breadcrumb trail...
    ROFL....It is a good thing I have only been doing this since Aug of last year or I would not have anything left. I do seem to have some kind of pattern don't I?

    On my last trip up the AT (the 200 mile one) I lost 1 hat, 1 pair of sunglasses, and a stinkin shirt....and I only had a total of 2 shirts with me! One on my back and one in my pack....it is sad really.

    Stormcrow

  6. #16
    Hooch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Princeton, NC
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    WhoopieSling/Strap
    Posts
    4,387
    Images
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple_Haze View Post
    Oh, and be careful on the untreated water in that area - my buddy Thunderbolt and I got a BAD case of the Big G coming down the side of Tray Mountain last spring!
    Nothing some IV fluids and a round of Falgyl won't fix.

    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Nice report Hooch! I'm very fond of North Georgia. Sounds like you had a great time.
    I did, thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Sounds like a fulfilling outing.
    It was, thanks. I'll be back for more.

    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    That was a really nice section. I did that one in late December last year and it was beautiful. You did not find my neck knife going up the mountain out of Unicoi did you?
    It was a great section. I'd like to get back down and do another section this fall before my longer hike in October, which is going to be PenMar to Harpers Ferry. Sorry, didn't see any loose knives laying around.

  7. #17
    Senior Member Ewker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Old Hickory, Tn
    Hammock
    Henry Shires Tarp Tent
    Tarp
    with a tent?
    Insulation
    Helium down bag
    Posts
    4,125
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    ROFL....It is a good thing I have only been doing this since Aug of last year or I would not have anything left. I do seem to have some kind of pattern don't I?

    On my last trip up the AT (the 200 mile one) I lost 1 hat, 1 pair of sunglasses, and a stinkin shirt....and I only had a total of 2 shirts with me! One on my back and one in my pack....it is sad really.

    Stormcrow
    making a mental note to hike behind stormcrow
    There are times that the only way you can do something is alone – that waiting on the convenience of others means that a lot of opportunities will pass you by
    Spirit Walker

    Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” ― Mark Twain

    Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

  8. #18
    Senior Member Bearpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ooltewah, TN
    Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Posts
    435
    Images
    17
    Great report Hooch. I was hoping to bump into you in the Damascus area, but was glad to hear you were at least out and about.

    Oh, and those orange flowers are Flame Azalea. Ran into LOTS of them in late May in Savage Gulf. Were there any blossomed Rhododendron still out in Georgia?

  9. #19
    Senior Member headchange4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kentucky
    Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Posts
    6,267
    Images
    35
    Congrats of the hike Hooch. Sounds like you had a great time.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett



    Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

  10. #20
    Hooch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Princeton, NC
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    WhoopieSling/Strap
    Posts
    4,387
    Images
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    Great report Hooch. I was hoping to bump into you in the Damascus area, but was glad to hear you were at least out and about.

    Oh, and those orange flowers are Flame Azalea. Ran into LOTS of them in late May in Savage Gulf. Were there any blossomed Rhododendron still out in Georgia?
    Yeah, SWS had called me to let me know you were in the area and I'm sorry I mised you. I had been in Damascus a few days prior to that after dropping my kiddo off. Hope your summer vacation/hiking tour is goign well and you're having a blast!

    Thanks for the correction on the Flame Azaleas, pretty flowers, no matter what name they go by. The Rhododendron blossoms were all gone, didn't see a single one. Oh well, maybe next time.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •