Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I think that this means that the tension on the two strands of the sling are not the same, because no matter how much you pull on the lower strand, the distance along the right strand from the Y to the HH whipping is the same, but you change the length of the lower strand. That means there will be a lateral pull on the lower left strand, and I bet is a contributing factor to this.

I think....

Grizz
    Looking at it that way, I think you are correct. I incorrectly assumed the eye was attached to something, therefore balancing the load between the strands. If half of the eye is fixed, your observation seems to make the most sense.. Additionally, this method of attachment is not the inteneded use for a whoopie sling, although many seem to be having success with them. Gonna build them myself soon.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images

somebody ought to make a video for you on doing this stuff

Grizz

Do I see a 'A Brief Primer on Hammock Suspension, Part III : Whoopie Slings' in our future?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post
    Looking at it that way, I think you are correct. I incorrectly assumed the eye was attached to something, therefore balancing the load between the strands. If half of the eye is fixed, your observation seems to make the most sense.. Additionally, this method of attachment is not the inteneded use for a whoopie sling, although many seem to be having success with them. Gonna build them myself soon.
    thanks....although I don't think the other folks chatting about using whoopie slings are doing exactly this, e.g., fixing one side of the loop.

When "adjustable" side of the loop is longer than the "fixed" side, then the fixed side is providing the suspension just as usual. As the adjustable side becomes shorter the whole thing is more like a UCR than a whoopie sling. Probably this would work when the whoopie loop is long because there would not be much lateral pull by the short side. But the loop is short because his ends are up against a hammock frame that no doubt is no longer than it needs to be.

Grizz

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

When "adjustable" side of the loop is longer than the "fixed" side, then the fixed side is providing the suspension just as usual. As the adjustable side becomes shorter the whole thing is more like a UCR than a whoopie sling. Probably this would work when the whoopie loop is long because there would not be much lateral pull by the short side. But the loop is short because his ends are up against a hammock frame that no doubt is no longer than it needs to be.

Grizz
    Well, that's it. You lost me. I'm not sure we are talking about the same configuration so I've taken a few more pictures. I had to set up in my living room because it is now dark outside. Sorry for the clutter.

I built the sling as indicated on the first page of this epic thread.

As you can see in the first picture, the fixed end is tied to the Hennessy. This is typically where you put a fixed eye that some have been attaching to their hammocks using a Larks Head. I simply tied it to the Hammock following the original Hennessy knot. The adjustable loop is to the left after a 10 inch burry which, when built, shortened itself to about 8.5". The free end is coiled up to the lower right of the Y junction that showed the unweaving from my previous photos. The junction in question is proximal.

The second photo shows the hammock on its stand (take note of the hamster rolling around). Because of the metal construction with no top brace, it flexes inward quite a bit when I put weight on the hammock. I recently figured out that I can pre-tension the stand with a rope tied across the top and pulled tight with a trucker's hitch. I only thought to do it after I noticed the unweaving and now it shouldn't be an issue.

The third photo shows the junction in question with the free end hanging down and to the right. When I pulled the suspension tight to get rid of the anticipated sag, I pulled the free end hard and perpendicular to the support rope running left to right. In this photo, I would have pulled it down. This tended to scrunch the burry immediately to the left of the junction, compressing it and allowing the section to the right to unweave.

Now that I understand the cause of my issues, I'm still unsure of your argument that this is not the typical configuration for a whoopie sling. How does shortening the adjustable loop (to the left) affect the action of the constrictor? Since the loop is sliding over a toggle at the the tree hugger, the tension should be shared equally between both halves of the loop, at least through the burry. Once you exit the bury, the tension is taken exclusively by the rope end that is tied to the hammock.

This is, as far as I can tell, analogous to how it is used on a tree. Granted, the fixed eye is typically threaded through the adjustable loop, but at one point during use, the load is being carried by the single strand leading from the fixed eye to the bury junction.

As always, thanks.

FreeTheWeasel

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeTheWeasel View Post
    Well, that's it. You lost me. I'm not sure we are talking about the same configuration so I've taken a few more pictures. I had to set up in my living room because it is now dark outside. Sorry for the clutter.
    I misread your explanation of the first picture a few posts back. I saw the two strands heading off to the right, thought they looked like the two sides of the whoopie loop, and was off and running. Glossed over the sentence that said
    The bury is to the left, eventually leading to the adjustable loop .
    emphasis mine.

I'm on track now, explanations about twists in bury etc much more likely...

Grizz

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    So this is basically the lightest suspension system there is correct?

I wonder if the rope has any abrasian qualities on the hammock fabric where it wraps around the fabric ball.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I misread your explanation of the first picture a few posts back.

Grizz
    Whew! I thought, for a moment, I was about to fail the professor's quiz.

Thanks for the help. I'll try working out any twists that have developed.

FreeTheWeasel
    Last edited by FreeTheWeasel; 08-01-2009 at 12:26. Reason: I used my real name! Gasp! (Pssst . . . his name is Geoff)

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post

I wonder if the rope has any abrasian qualities on the hammock fabric where it wraps around the fabric ball.
    this is a light suspension, but (please forgive my pedantry, but I go all analytic when dealing with absolutes) "the lightest suspension system there is" involves a rope that is just exactly the right length to go from hammock, around the tree, and have just enough left to tie it. Ignoring for the moment the way the suspension cord attaches to the tree, the "excess beyond minimal" in a whoopie sling is the doubling of the rope back in the loop, plus some bury lengths that use more cord for a given range of span.

My suspicion is that the lightest suspension system sold commercially is the cord + tree hugger option with the Blackbird. There the "excess beyond minimal" is a small light (0.2 oz on mine) tri-ring to which the suspension cord is tied with a slipped buntline hitch.

Assuming your question is really "This is a really light suspension, right?" the answer is yes. I like it quite a lot for that reason and the easy adjustability; I have converted three of my hammocks to use it.

The rope at the hammock would only abraid it if there is movement. With a lark's head where the cord goes through twice and is cinched down, there's not movement.

Grizz

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post

Greetings,

Actually, this is probably not the lightest suspension system. A plain rope and knot is as light as you can get. I'm not sure which is lighter a whoopie sling suspension with double the rope or a single line suspension with a lightweight toggle. I'm playing with both: the whoopie sling on my hammock and the Marlin spike toggle on my daughter's.

Both suspensions are so light, convenience is going to be the determining factor when I finally choose.

The AmsteelBlue I am using seems to be less abrasive than the stock Hennessy rope. I expect less wear now that I've switched; although, I didn't see any evidence of wear when I removed the original cord. The end that ties to the hammock (at least on the Hennessy) is fairly constrained and not likely to move once it has snugged down.

FreeTheWeasel

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Are most of you using a whoppie sling with a 5 or 6 foot hugger or are most of you not using a hugger at all?

• + New Posts
  • Page 26 of 106 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast