Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    Senior Member gumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hubbardston, MA
    Hammock
    Traveler Mosquito
    Tarp
    Neo Tarp
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Is there a comprehensive trail list somewhere online? If so, what is the URL? If not, maybe everyone could pull together and make a sticky list with links to trail info...

    *That may be beyond the scope of this Forum, though*
    If you go to http://americanhiking.org/ They have a very comprehensive list of trails.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    3,565
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    BD, don't feel alone, it's OK. I just found out about the Mountains-to-Sea Trail in NC a few weeks ago. I'd love to do that one!
    I would think twice about that one. I remember reading somewhere on WB that it is a hiking/biking trail. There are parts that only best done by bike and not hiking. Something to look into at least.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

  3. #13
    Senior Member Ewker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Old Hickory, Tn
    Hammock
    Henry Shires Tarp Tent
    Tarp
    with a tent?
    Insulation
    Helium down bag
    Posts
    4,120
    HE, I think it is more road walking than biking. I know the Cumberland Trail in Tenn is part of it and The Pine Mountain trail in Ky is also part of it. I don't think you can take bikes on them. Taking a road bike would be a pain pushing it up and over the mountains

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    3,565
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    HE, I think it is more road walking than biking. I know the Cumberland Trail in Tenn is part of it and The Pine Mountain trail in Ky is also part of it. I don't think you can take bikes on them. Taking a road bike would be a pain pushing it up and over the mountains
    I think I am thinking of a different trail. I thought the Mountain to Sea Trail started at Clingman's Dome in the Smokey's to the Atlantic through NC.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

  5. #15
    Senior Member NCPatrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    9,041
    Images
    40


    Is this the one? (image is from: GORP - Thru-Hiker's Guide to America - Mountains-to-Sea Map, Gorp.com)

  6. #16
    Senior Member Ewker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Old Hickory, Tn
    Hammock
    Henry Shires Tarp Tent
    Tarp
    with a tent?
    Insulation
    Helium down bag
    Posts
    4,120
    there was at guy at SoRuck who had hiked all of the MTS trail and per the map above it does start at Clingmans Dome. Not sure I would want to ride a bikedown it either. It might be kind of bbbbbuuummmmpppyyyyy

  7. #17
    Senior Member blackbishop351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Posts
    1,564
    Images
    59
    Almost the entire section East of Boone is on roads, though. I wouldn't want to walk that for sure - it'd be incredibly boring. Part of the MTS actually comes through here (Greensboro) and follows a paved "Greenway." In other words, IMO, the only section actually worth hiking is West of Boone.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    3,565
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Almost the entire section East of Boone is on roads, though. I wouldn't want to walk that for sure - it'd be incredibly boring. Part of the MTS actually comes through here (Greensboro) and follows a paved "Greenway." In other words, IMO, the only section actually worth hiking is West of Boone.
    That's what I ment to say. Part of it hiking and the other part biking.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

  9. #19
    Senior Member Bird Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    410
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    BD, don't feel alone, it's OK. I just found out about the Mountains-to-Sea Trail in NC a few weeks ago. I'd love to do that one!

    That ones already on the list. Maybe when we retire? By then, my wife will be tired enough of me that she wont care how long Im gone. How cool would it be to be a full time hiker / hammock hanger? BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

  10. #20
    Senior Member Bird Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    410
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    That's what I ment to say. Part of it hiking and the other part biking.
    I got a bike. By the time I get to do that trail, I'll probably have to ride alot of it anyway. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •