Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    Hmm, I wonder where I can find an Ultralight monkey I can carry around...?
    You can't. You just have to build up your muscles by hiking until you get your "monkey legs".

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Those are great pictures, but no photos can really do justice to how expansive Grayson Highlands is. There's no where else in Virginia to get that kind of unbroken view unless you're on the Chesapeake Bay. That's a great trip report about a very special chunk of earth.

You've also solved a mystery for me. I go to Damascus about once a month for work. I never have much time, but always hike a short way out of town to hang and do a daybreak hike before getting to work. Sometimes I park at one of the trout fishing pulloffs on Rt. 58 and hike up from there. I've always wanted to take the IMT out of town, but I could never figure out which street it was from my map. I drove down all of them, but never found it. Fourth Street it is!

I also really like your ENO/WBB seasonal arrangement. I've been thinking about the same sort of setup. Unfortunately, that involves two hammocks I don't currently own.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    You've also solved a mystery for me. I go to Damascus about once a month for work. I never have much time, but always hike a short way out of town to hang and do a daybreak hike before getting to work. Sometimes I park at one of the trout fishing pulloffs on Rt. 58 and hike up from there. I've always wanted to take the IMT out of town, but I could never figure out which street it was from my map. I drove down all of them, but never found it. Fourth Street it is!
    There might be room to park a vehicle on the edge of Fourth at the turn where the trail begins. The previous photo in the report was within a half mile of the end of the actual foot trail, and I believe it to be the last water source until you are up on the ridge. However, as a hammocker, there are several spots up the trail where you could hang comfortably. Of course you can do the same from several points along the Creeper Trail as well.

One hanging options I found without having to pack in was to hang for $10 at Backbone Rock, 3 miles south of town on 133. It is right next to Beaver Dam Creek. Between all the cool air the valley collects, the rush of the creek, and the general quiet of no lights or electric noise, this spot provided one of my best night's sleep during my trip.

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    I'll keep all of those things in mind for the next trip. I've never sought cool night air in Virginia, though... I'm usually up on the side of a ridge trying to stay warm.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    I've never sought cool night air in Virginia, though... I'm usually up on the side of a ridge trying to stay warm.
    It was in the 90's when I first got into Damascus. The Place was pretty muggy the one night I stayed there. Backbone Rock was perfect by comparison.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Very nice report and pics. Looks like very nice country. I could feel it.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    It's official, I have GOT to stop reading these d*** trip reports! Now, like Stormcrow, I have "That look" & a wife saying "When you leaving?"
    Great (awful?) report. I love that area, going to do the IMT next time I'm through that area.

Yep, I gotta stop reading hiking stories & start making my own.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Etowah Gear
    Insulation
    Warbonnet 3S Yeti
    Suspension
    Adjustable Web
    I'll echo everyone else's comments... great report! I've never been to the area, but it's definitely going on my "good" to do list!

In Aug I almost did the same route that Bearpaw did. We stayed more on the AT until we took the blue blaze ove to the IMT. It is a great trail and you won't see anyone on the IMT
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thumbs up

GREAT trip report, as usual, Bearpaw! Thanks! I just now saw it. Am headed over that way for Thanksgiving weekend next week, though I'm doing Wise Shelter to Partnership Shelter with my family. Perhaps a tad cooler temps than you had, too.

Thanks for sharing!

Rain Man

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast