G-Bird II
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    AHE TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoop dutch!
    Images
    Nice work, but dont let walmart know, they'll end up raising their prices. Your fabric looks alot like mine. Have you done a waterproof test on it?
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Before I started I poured a little over a gallon into the fabric in a bowl shape. After about 20 minutes I did see a few drops coming through. Will do a better test with the hose tomorrow evening. I'll put a thin coat of home brew over it if it doesn't live up to my standards.

At any rate. I also have a 6'x10'. If I am expecting decent weather, it's a great ultralight tarp. Hanging it Asymmetrical on something like an asymm hammock and it's decent for either rain or wind, but not both at the same time. You could hang it low against your hammock ridgeline and be ok. I think it was stated earlier, it depends on whether you are looking at ultralight or price.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeHouse View Post
    Awwwwwwwwwwww,,, sclittlefield, I was wondering when you were going to get your tarp done... would love to see some pic's...
    I'll definitely put some pictures up when I get a chance. I'm off to Belize for a couple weeks, leaving tomorrow, so it will have to be after that. I really really like your design, it was really cleverly done - hope you don't mind me copying.

Quote Originally Posted by JTCreative View Post
    Before I started I poured a little over a gallon into the fabric in a bowl shape. After about 20 minutes I did see a few drops coming through. Will do a better test with the hose tomorrow evening. I'll put a thin coat of home brew over it if it doesn't live up to my standards.
    That would make it ripstop with a good DWR ("durable water repellent") coating. That's what 99% of what looks like silnylon at Wal-Mart actually is. I've used it in 4 tarps, it held up well... much better than it should have, but I wouldn't trust it long term or with monsoon rains. I think I'll do what you're talking about, a DIY sil coating. Still can't beat the price.
    Last edited by sclittlefield; 07-07-2009 at 21:20.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

I find it easier to work with the regular ripstop then coat it myself. I use the washout tape to make my seams all nice and straight. The tape doesn't stick to sil, even if it did, it wouldn't wash out.

Wasn't this thread about tarp size though?

Hammock
    Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!
    Yes it was about size...but thats fine. My question was answered...I'll be looking for a 8x10 tarp.