Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I live in the West where there are places with no trees at all that are incredibly beautiful and would be a shame to miss seeing. This would include desert regions, slot canyons or high altitude adventures above the tree line. But I always try to plan my high country adventures to get below the tree line at night if at all possible. Although I have been a hard core hanger now for over 2 years, I still go to ground occasionally and bring along alternative equipment to do that. There is no shame in wanting to have the best of all worlds. But when there are trees, I hang. No contest. And in the last 2 years after numerous backpacking trips I have only gone to ground 3-4 times. One of those was backpacking with my wife, and I went to ground to sleep with her. Since then I have converted her to hanging we'll both be hanging on future trips.

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    I only carry hammock gear on my hikes. If I can't hang, then I just do the best I can with what I've got for the night. Once upon a time, a long long time ago, I used to camp with blankets, on ground cloths, under a tarp. I survived then, and with the gear I have now, I could survive one night again. Deserts and above the tree line would be another story, but I don't do those.

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    8x12 Sil Nylon
    Insulation
    Peapod
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LosUno View Post
    Ok,

You all may have covered this in-depth somewhere on this forum. My thought are to get a 2 person tent to answer this question.

What do you do if you cannot hang? If not trees, or frame building like where people sit to eat.

Since I am the new guy on the block any knowledge sharing will be appriciated.

LosUno....translation=(Lost One)
    The only times finding place to hang has been a problem is at some campgrounds (like Wildcat Camp at Pt Reyes) that really just assume everyone will be a groundhog. I use Google Earth to see if there is going to be a place to hang. Outside of developed campgrounds, I've never had a problem finding a place. Sometimes we've walked past miles of perfectly good hammocking spots (it's a 60 degree slope! So?) to find a place for the groundhogs.

Sometimes, big trees, say 5 feet in diameter and 15 feet around have challenged me to see if I brought enough rope but I've always made it work.

When I expect a problem, I'll bring my Big Agnes air mattress and my tarp and set up on the ground.

I'd expect that it's difficult to hang a hammock in the Grand Canyon. In some slot canyons, you might be able to hang between the walls, though that's likely a risky thing to do.

One time, I set up in the roots of a huge fallen tree. I wish that I'd gotten a picture of that!

I picked up some free aluminum children's crutches. I think that with some monster, plastic tent stakes, that I'll be able to hang between them.

Hammock
    1.1 single Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly, The Edge
    Insulation
    Black Mamba
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    i usually cry for a bit. then i sleep under my tarp on the hard ground.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    MatCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    MW3, JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Straps, Webbing

thanks for the input folks

thanks, for the input from all of you...

newbie hanger here... as a newb i'd agree finding a good spot is a lot harder than setting up, or kit choice. it will depend on where you're going & how long you intend on being out, i guess.

on my first test hammock test run i walked the inner peninsular of rutland water, uk, expecting somewhere easy to stealth camp, preferably not too far from the water i was visiting (mainly for chilling & the view). all the wooded sections were head-height nettle & poison ivy, so kept walking. i could see what i thought were better locatons on the other shores but i couldn't get to them. also, the area i was in was not as stealthy as i'd have liked (more like a haven for MTBs).

however, on the road in, i found a nice wooded section where i was confident i wouldn't be disturbed. it was near the road, & after a little digging deeper i could set up & rest for a bit. i actually returned to this spot just before sun-down to camp. it was ok for one night, i could hear cars passing from the village in the peninsular but that was fine. just a shame i couldn't camp nearer my destination.

as for practicalities i'd put down a groundsheet or poncho & if you're gonna potter about near nettles / ivy & at least wear long socks! you could even have a hammock with mozzy net that doubles as a bivy-tent (tarp above it).

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    ClumseyBear and I just returned from a kayaking trip that had us paddling the Cape Fear River and getting to the "camp site" just as the sun was setting. Needless to say, after having to hoist the kayaks up a 20' bank, it was DARK!! That's about the time we found the "cow pies"!! The only trees we could find that were remotely suitable for hanging... well they were across a stream, on a rise, and totally covered with poisen ivy. We shared one and it was so huge that 15' of strap just did go around it. Plus as we were staking out the tarps we discovered that the tarp stakes were right next to the 20' drop to the river!! Couldn't even see it in the dark. The next morning we found some perfect trees for hanging just a little ways off. Make note, get to camp site well before dark!! We both almost had to pitch on the ground. My clark is a bit short in length and I still had it stretched tree to tree, the tarp actually was winding around the tree. ClumseyBear was just a couple of inches off the ground when she set up. We were determined NOT to set up on that cow pie covered ground.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    DownMat 9
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    I plan on solving the problem like this: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=9446
    - Tanstaafl.
    - Whoever said "No smoke without fire" never went camping.
    - It's just badass to have a yak.
    - The sky is the limit for religious people.

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images

Cams

If your in high alpine zones, why not invest in these? I know that with a little searching one could find a boulder and a tree, or a cliff face to hang from. All you would need is 2, and since there designed for outdoor use, they're very lightweight and extremely durable.

NOTE: I realize these may not be the best Climbing Cams (or the lightest for that matter) I just used them as a reference. I'm sure with some research, the folks here could find the lightest/most durable - weight ratio possible.
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com