Speer
    Tarp
    8x12 Sil Nylon
    Insulation
    Peapod
    Images

Angry Bad Experience With Redden Marine

FYI -

I ordered 300 feet of 7/64 (2.5mm) line from Redden Marine for bear bagging line way back on June 12th.

• On June 16th, they emailed me saying they didn't have a 300' piece
    • I emailed back offering to take a 100' and a 200' piece
    • Weeks pass
    • I call and ask what's up? They still don't a big enough piece but they will on Monday. OK
    • Monday comes and I call again. They still don't have a big enough piece but they've got a lot of small pieces.
    • On July 9th they email me and say that they've got a 200' piece and would I like two shipments or would I like to wait for the full order. I emailed back asking what the shipping charge would be. I got no reply.
    • On July 10h, I called. They were short ( ) of inventory again. The 200 foot piece was down to 87 feet but they were expecting more in today, July 20th.
    • I called 3 times and left 3 messages today trying to either get confirmation that they were going to ship or to cancel the order. The person in charge of internet orders, Sparrow, didn't call me back - I left 3 messages.

I need the line as crew equipment for a Philmont trek. We're leaving early in the morning one week from tomorrow.

At this point, I'd even be willing to buy a whole spool (600 feet), if I could get it for around $150 or less or about 25 cents a foot. Redden would cost about 20 cents a foot delivered, if they would deliver. I don't want to go to West Marine and try to buy 300 feet at almost 90 cents a foot.

So, does anyone have a reliable, fairly cheap source of 7/64th Amsteel? Has anyone called Samson directly or found a wholesale place that would be willing to sell a single spool cheap?

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Maybe some help in this thread...
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

That is weird...

Man that sucks.

Poor customer service is one of my biggest pet peeves. What I don't understand is that I just recently put in an order for 7/64 (100') about 2 weeks ago and I got it last Fri. No problem, and it was only 16 cents a foot With shipping it cost me about 21 dollars. I did take the advice of one of the forum members here and I placed my order by phone.

I wonder if it has to do with the luck of the draw regarding the particular sales representative you get stuck with?

I hope you get your rope. Pm me if you cant. I can shoot some your way if it gets critical.

Stormcrow

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    8x12 Sil Nylon
    Insulation
    Peapod
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    Man that sucks.

Poor customer service is one of my biggest pet peeves. What I don't understand is that I just recently put in an order for 7/64 (100') about 2 weeks ago and I got it last Fri. No problem, and it was only 16 cents a foot With shipping it cost me about 21 dollars. I did take the advice of one of the forum members here and I placed my order by phone.

I wonder if it has to do with the luck of the draw regarding the particular sales representative you get stuck with?

I hope you get your rope. Pm me if you cant. I can shoot some your way if it gets critical.

Stormcrow
    Thanks for your offer. The worst case is that we have to use Philmont's heavy bear ropes. I'd much rather be carrying 100 feet of 7/64th Amsteel than 100 feet of 3/8th nylon braid. So I'll have to let my Scouts carry it

I think the mistake that I made was ordering 300 feet. I suspect that if I'd ordered 3x100 feet, my order would be more likely to have been filled. From the muttering on the other end of the line, I think they have a lot of relatively short pieces.

There are several other places that have reasonably good prices, not nearly as good as Redden but maybe they can come up with the rope. I plan on calling LayLine and cbknot tomorrow. LayLine is out Georgia, which means that there would be a shipping delay; they want about $90 for 300 feet delivered via USPS priority mail (~30 cents per foot).

CBKnot is closer, in Washington, and I think they want to sell spools (600 feet). They might be reasonable.

go2marine has 7/64th for 26 cents plus shipping but they won't ship for at least 4 weeks!

Defender will deliver 300 feet at 28.9 cents per foot but they are on the east coast so there would be shipping delay unless I pay extra (31.6 cents per foot with the more expensive shipping)

Sailing Supply has it listed at 300 feet delivered for $90 (30 cents per foot). They're in San Diego, so they'll have to add another ~10% for sales tax.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I recently purchased from this person:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

He has 100', 200' and 500' listed currently. I made an offer and he accepted within an hour. I had the cord in about 4 days at about 28cents per foot including shipping. He may be able to help you if you get the other order canceled.

Ken
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

"You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Columbia Basin kn ot, cbknot.com, has 7/64" amsteel blue. Note: Samson Rope no longer makes Amsteel smaller than 1/4". If you want 7/64" you have to get Amsteel Blue.

You have to buy a 600' spool from cbknot, but it is then $0.19/ft plus S&H.

If you need it quickly, best to call and inquire about delivery time.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    8x12 Sil Nylon
    Insulation
    Peapod
    Images
    Here's the latest on my customer service issue.

Redden Marine shipped my order yesterday, Monday. From the UPS tracking it looks like it went out late (~8:00 PM) Monday night. For some reason, I didn't get the confirming email till after I called to cancel the order. Maybe someone stayed late to get my order filled?

It looks like my line will be here with days to spare.

CBKnot was willing to sell me some 7/64th line though they didn't have any in stock. Normally, they'd want to sell a whole spool, 600 feet, but they called Samson and Samson had a partial spool that Samson was willing to cut 300 feet off of for me. IIRC, the cost was 23 cents a foot using their guess for shipping cost. It would have taken 2 days for Samson to cut the line and ship it to CBKnot and then a few days from CBKnot to here. So that wouldn't have worked for me.

CBKnot does attempt to price match, so I might have been able to get them to match Redden's price, though I did not explore that option.

I didn't call LayLine because my order was already on the way from Redden

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    8x12 Sil Nylon
    Insulation
    Peapod
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post

He has 100', 200' and 500' listed currently. I made an offer and he accepted within an hour. I had the cord in about 4 days at about 28cents per foot including shipping. He may be able to help you if you get the other order canceled.

Ken
    I missed that store when I searched on EBay for Amsteel last night. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post

Ken
    Thanks for the reference. I just ordered 100 feet.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    Thanks for the reference. I just ordered 100 feet.
    You're welcome. I've been in email contact with Todd at Customsplice.com. He also has 1/8" amsteel in stock in red and charcoal if
    anyone is looking for 1/8".

Ken
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

"You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast