Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Just another newbie- help a girl out!

OK... i know you've heard it a thousand times before- but I need advice on which hammock setup to go with. I have been researching all day, so far the one I have found which I like the best is the Clark Ultralight. Any other suggestions? Here is what I am hoping to find in the hammock I purchase:

1. Easy set up / tear down (love those snakeskins...)
    2. Detachable or zip-up netting for flexibility of use (ie, as a lounger before bed)
    3. Ease of entry /exit
    4. Comfort- not necessarily totally flat, but I don't want to feel like a burrito either.
    5. Detachable or optional rainfly which is actually large enough to be functional.
    6> Light weight! For my 3 week JMT trek.

If I can get all of this, and reasonably priced, too, I will be one happy (hammock) camper!

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    BA Insulated & SPE
    Images
    I like the Clark stuff too. One alternative I'd suggest is Speer Hammocks and their Hammock IIIA with tarp. They are going for $179 right now. They are easy to put up. The bug netting is detachable and the tarp is 8 x 10 so you can put it up for any reason without the need of putting up your hammock such as when it rains and your hold up at your campsite.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomboy in a sundress View Post

2. Detachable or zip-up netting for flexibility of use (ie, as a lounger before bed)
    3. Ease of entry /exit
    4. Comfort- not necessarily totally flat, but I don't want to feel like a burrito either.
    5. Detachable or optional rainfly which is actually large enough to be functional.

If I can get all of this, and reasonably priced, too, I will be one happy (hammock) camper!
    first of all, welcome to the forum!

Second....

1. this is just about any hammock you'll find - but if you don't want to even deal with rope, a ring/buckle with straps would be the best option.
    2. There are lots of hammocks with this - Warbonnet Blackbird or Traveler, Claytor, ENO, JRB bridge hammock... possibilities are endless. The Hennessy does not zip off but can be retrofitted with a zipper mod.
    3. I don't know that I would qualify any hammock as difficult to get into - hard to get out of in the morning, definitely.
    4. Loads of comfort in any hammock - but my personal fave is the Blackbird.
    5. I don't know of a hammock that has a fixed fly. Hennessy has a notoriously small stock tarp but that can be rectified easily enough - OES Mac Cat tarps are tops.
    6. All hammocks can be considered light - the lighter ones are not necessarily the right ones for you, however. My easy to hang, easy to adjust, hard to be uncomfortable in it Blackbird is just shy of two pounds.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Ease of entry exit is a personal thing which may be affected by yoour needs. I personally can not get out of a top or side loader in the field due to some mobility issues. If any of those kinds of restrictions are present for you pay close attention to them as they can seriously impact your choices. I use the HH because the bottom entry meets that criteria _for me_. My house sleeper is a top loader but I have assist devices installed to make it easier.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Warbonnet is light and has a shelf for your gear on the side, and another tie out ont he other to increase the roominess, i believe it is the lightest, has a unique footbox for your feet that increases the flat lay, optional extra layer for pad on bottom so you dont have to put pad in with you in same level and slide off it during the night, mosquito netting, supereasy fast setup. Lightest too, cant go wrong, availible in black or green.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomboy in a sundress View Post
    3. Ease of entry /exit

OK, that describes almost all the regular camping hammocks.

The thing that stands out in your requirements to me is the ease of entry/exit and the bugnet being able to either detach or stow away. That would be a Clark. I have an NA, and I love it. I also have several BB's and a JRB BMBH, but the Clark wins on entry/exit and bugnetting, because you can zip back the bugnet and stow it away and the zippers on both sides of the hammock. And it is comfortable, just not as comfortable as any of my BB's. If you buy a Clark, just upgrade to the XL fly, or buy an aftermarket tarp.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Also... I had snakeskins with my HH. Didn't like them after a while. The double ended stuff sack works better for me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome to the forum; your username cracks me up.
    Just go ahead and get it over with now instead of waiting to do it later; just PM warbonnetguy and get on the list for a Blackbird.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I agree, Cannibal, as long as the waiting list isn't too long... the girl has JMT dreams.

I think I know who she is.... I've been posting on Backpacker Magazine forums, and this is the girl asking about hammocks on the JMT because some old curmudgeon poo-pooed her aspirations to hammocking.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    I've been posting on Backpacker Magazine forums, and this is the girl asking about hammocks on the JMT because some old curmudgeon poo-pooed her aspirations to hammocking.
    Well, we should track him down and kick him in the shins!
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast