HH , WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    the edge
    Insulation
    HG 40/0 phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies

been a while..

since ive posted about asking for info ,on hanging .well i have ordered a cheaper hammock from sportsmans guide .. its the travel hammock ultralight .the discription says its only 7oz .i figured if i didnt like it i would be out really but 20 bucks .with a 8x10 tarp ? hows this sound for starters? ill also be doing some more reading . is there any other sugestions ? remember this is just a first go at it ..
    thanks all

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    If this is it... http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=190912
    I'll bet it will do just fine. It looks about like an ENO (Eagles Nest Outfitters) single.
    Some folks find it a little more narrow than ideal for maximum comfort, but it should still work well.
    Some cheaper hammocks come w/ questionable suspension systems (webbing & clips). If so & you like the hammock, you can always change those out.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    HH , WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    the edge
    Insulation
    HG 40/0 phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    yes thats the one .. thanks for the comennt

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    I have a Grand Trunk UL Travel Hammock. It was given to me as a birthday present a while ago. I used it alot at first. It was nice because it was the lightest I could find. Still is the lightest commercial hammock available I think. It does tend to stretch a little and that I did not like as much. But for a starter hammock when you aren't sure exactly what you want, it is great. I still keep it as a backup hammock in my car.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Last night was my first night in my Grand Trunk UL Travel Hammock. Like others have said, it is a bit narrow and a real shoulder squeezer. In my HH I use a custom cut ccf pad (36" wide shoulders and taper to feet). It didn't fit so well in the Travel Hammock. This hammock is so narrow, has anyone just pulled a sleeping bag over the whole thing like a sock?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I just answered my own question. Last night I pulled my REI Travel Sack over the line and around the Travel Hammock. It worked great at 58 degrees insulating top and bottom. Surprisingly, I felt less cramped than the previous night with a ccf pad. Other bags might work if they open at the feet making a tube. Unless the weather changes significantly, I'll be using this up in the Trinity Alps this week.

This is the REI Travel Sack:
    http://www.worldclassgear.com/rei_travel_sack.asp
    Last edited by Pastorus; 08-09-2009 at 17:48.

Hammock
    Arrowhead 11 ft
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Arrowhead,Peapod,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I liked my Travel Hammock until it ripped in half one night dumping me on the ground, what a way to wake up!! I weight 225 lbs so I was pushing the 250 lbs weight limit.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    OK, I just have to finish the story. The Travel Hammock and the REI Travel Sack went to the Trinity Alps with me. It worked great to the rating of 55 degrees. The problem was the 40 degrees that first night. Brrrrrrr cold, but obviously I survived thanks to a GoLite Phantom over a down vest. FYI, survival isn't always comfortable.

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    For the record, I ordered the sportsmansguide ultralight hammock, and it arrived today.

What was in the package is a Grand Trunk Ultralight hammock with their idea of a hanging kit. It came with a cheap carabiner, plus a bunch of cordage and two S-hooks which were attached to cordage which went through the gathered ends of the hammock.

I weighed this just as it was, according to my scale the whole works was 14.2oz.

I quickly swapped out the included suspension for whoopie slings and tree straps, plus stuffed my toggles in the stuff sack (all these came from Arrowhead Equip). The weight actually went UP a bit, to 14.4oz. I will live with this both for the ease of hanging and adjustment the whoopies provide, and I wouldn't tie directly to a tree with 1/4" cordage anyways.

I reckon the lightest tarp I'm likely to find that will work for my purposes is the Maccat Micro at 7.4 oz. Add this plus 4 aluminium tri-stakes, and enough mason line for ridge line and guy tie-outs, and my minimum weight should still be around a pound and a half... which I can live with Guess I'll need to pick up some sort of bugnet too, although if I think the bugs will be a real problem I'll just go back to my DD travel hammock.

Now I just hope the hammock doesn't rip out on me as a previous poster mentioned... I probably crowd that 225 lbs from the top side a little bit

• + New Posts