Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    onrope buckle
    The ceiling is ~8', and sorry, no, no camera.

The space is only 6' wide, and about 20' long...I am planning to hang diagonally, so length shouldn't be a limiting factor.

A wall mount (post, actually) on the outside corner of the porch would be easily doable, but I'm leery of mounting to what was, before closing in the porch, the outside wall of the house.

Hammock
    In a SkeeterBeaterPro...for now
    2x6's over a 6' space should be just fine for the vertical forces. I'm not a GC but I think code for load bearing structures is something like 1" of beam for every foot of unsupported span.

What I'd be worried about is the torsional forces applied by the hanging straps. IE: the structure is designed to withstand weight applied downward, not side to side, and horizontal forces applied only to one edge of a beam are going to make it want to twist. Just to be on the safe side, I'd make sure both ends of the beam are well braced against side to side or twisting motions, and I'd consider scabbing in a 22.5" piece of 2x4 or 2x6 between the joists near your attachment point to spread the horizontal load and keep the beam from trying to flip on it's side.

You sound like you're mostly on the right track, just make sure to use some good sized washers to distribute the load on the eyebolt.

Also, don't worry about bringing the ceiling down. About the worst that can happen here is that you blow out a 2x6, and even that is extremely unlikely.
    A free canoe is better than no canoe.

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    I'd vote for your idea of hanging from a 2x6 running perpendicular above the joists. I'd definitely vote against putting an eyebolt into a structural joist. I've posted about that before. Lots of people do it, but my view is that it's similar to hanging without tree huggers; you probably won't do any damage, but there are better, more sound ways to hang. An eyebolt through a crossmember installed expressly for holding the hammock probably isn't a big deal, but check out http://www.strongtie.com/products/category_list.html. There are plenty of brackets that could accomodate a short loop of rope with a biner as an alternative to an eyebolt.

Good luck. I wish I had a covered porch!
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    onrope buckle

Update

After rereading these responses several times, and mulling my options, I ended up building a "compact" stand that sort of hugs the wall, thus leaving room to walk by it. A wood/steel hybrid (I'm a better welder than I am a carpenter), it works very well. Not pretty, but I tell myself "beauty is as beauty does."

Thanks to all for your help.
    Dave

http://www.uark.edu/misc/xtimber/rna/pattonsbluff.html

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.
    John Steinbeck