Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    WI can get darn chilly in October. Snow isn't even out of the question. Best to be prepared for cold and not need the extra insulation than to not be prepared and freeze! Weather is fickle here that time of year.

If you need a volunteer tester for your underquilts, I'd be happy to help out!

n0thing

Aight, folks...were are those topquilt directions??? Do they exist?

I still haven't finished that dress (I'm trying to figure out the circa 1948 buttonhole attachment to the sewing machine...) but I'm ready to start ordering supplies next paycheck! I've got a couple of "outdoorsey" things I need to sew as wedding presents for that wedding, as well as my topquilt/underquilt and I figure I had better get started!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by redlights View Post
    Aight, folks...were are those topquilt directions??? Do they exist?
    Of course they do.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Typically the buttonholer body goes on the presser foot mount. There is a forky little thing that kind of grabs the needle mounting screw. Then you usually need cams that control the size and shape of the buttonhole. You put the feed dogs down and and allow the buttonholer to control the movement of the piece getting the buttonholes. At least that has been my experience.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Welcome to the forums, to the trees and to DIY gear. All three are fun!

Don't forget that quilts can be used in a tent... better make yours neon pink so hubby doesn't "borrow" it. Let us know how you do with the UQ. (pix appreciated)

So, that quilt looks easy enough to make...but...what in the world do I do with it? Maybe that's a silly question, but it looks kind of like sleeping bag replacer. Do I tuck up in my down mummy bag and then put the down top quilt over it, with my feet inside the box? or is it for those of you who don't take sleeping bags with you? I'm all for an extra layer in october since I sleep cold, but I think with the right sleeping bag a top quilt might not be needed.

Also, regarding the buttonholer, I believe that it might be "broken" since it's not clicking to "zig zag." I say "broken" because I haven't opened it up to inspect enough yet and it might be "not broken"

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here's another good one, very similar to mikeinfhaz's:

http://www.backpacking.net/makegear/...ilt/index.html

It's the same one that is on the thru-hiker.com site. Ayce sells a kit to make it, too:

http://thru-hiker.com/kits/quilt_kit.php

Have fun!

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Many hammockers don't use sleeping bags. The insulation in a sleeping bag that's between you and the hammock fabric is compressed by your weight, and is thus ineffective. A top quilt simply removes that excess weight and bulk.

Of course you still need bottom insulation. But an underquilt is far far more effective than any sleeping bag inside the hammock.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by redlights View Post
    .what in the world do I do with it?
    it looks kind of like sleeping bag replacer.
    Do I tuck up in my down mummy bag and then put the down top quilt over it, with my feet inside the box? or is it for those of you who don't take sleeping bags with you?
    I think with the right sleeping bag a top quilt might not be needed.
    you're still thinking like a "tent" camper!!!
    Something you've got to think of is that when you're in a sleeping bag, the part that's under your body "WILL be compressed" by the hammock. By being compressed, you will have virtually no insulation under you. Remember when tent camping, you have a sleeping pad under you, that's your insulation from the ground, not the sleeping bag. So yes, the quilt replaces the sleeping bag.
    If you want to try a quilt over a sleeping bag, try it. Go on a trip and take both and test it out. I had to do that too before I could really trust just the quilt to keep me warm. But remember, you wont stay warm enough if you don't have some kind of bottom insulation like either a pad inside to insulate you from the bottom of the hammock or a quilt under the hammock.
    Have you tried getting into a sleeping bag from inside a hammock, yet?
    About the sewed in foot box on over quilts. I made two quilts, one summer, one winter. I found that I like the bottom sewed together in the winter one but that I liked the summer one to be open. So on my summer on, I have a draw string down there with cordlocks. That way if it turns cool at night and I need to, I can pull it closed. Otherwise my summer quilt is more or less flat. You make your quilts to fit your sleeping style. You sleep cold, then overstuff the quilt with down. Or make a quilt with taller baffles. My winter quilt has 4+" baffles and is overstuffed.
    One of the best things you can do will be to do some practice hangs with your gear and try out different combonations. Just make sure you've got an escape plan in case you get really cold (have car or your house nearby)

Ditto the other replies - this is a great story. We got some pretty good wedding gifts - but nothing as awesome as a quality hammock.

Wishing you many hours of hammock happiness.
    JJ Murphy
    www.TheJoyfulForager.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123