Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeTheWeasel View Post

Based on the suggestions I received, I took another look at the unwoven section. Here is the photo again.

The top right strand heads off to the Hennessy Hammock and is tied to the hammock body the same way the original suspension rope was tied. The bottom right strand is the free end that is pulled to tighten the loop. The bury is to the left, eventually leading to the adjustable loop.
    I think that this means that the tension on the two strands of the sling are not the same, because no matter how much you pull on the lower strand, the distance along the right strand from the Y to the HH whipping is the same, but you change the length of the lower strand. That means there will be a lateral pull on the lower left strand, and I bet is a contributing factor to this.

I think....

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 07-31-2009 at 09:11.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Frawg is one of the local experts on the UCR, and suggests that on the other end of the UCR (the one away from the the webbing) you put a loop, and hang a little weight there. I've played with the UCR a little, and find it workable but a little more finicky than a whoopie sling.
    Thank you Grizz, but you give me more credit than I've earned. And I don't know anything at all about the HHs.

You can use a loop and hang stuff as Grizz noted, but a simple securing knot around the main (static) line works too. I like to use a rolling hitch (the working part of a tautline hitch). However you do it, the important thing is to create at least a little bit of friction between the loose end of the constriction section and the static line, where it exits the constrictor.

I do like UCRs, but Grizz is quite right - they can be finicky, and a bit of a mystery if you are not clear in your mind on how they work. I would recommend whoopie slings over UCRs to someone just getting into this. The same mystery applies, but whoopie slings are much more forgiving.

Good luck!
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeTheWeasel View Post
    What I realized is that the section of the bury just to the left of the junction is very tightly scrunched down. Basically, when I tried to tighten the suspension to compensate for the sag in my hammock stand, I pulled the free end hard, and somewhat perpendicular to the main rope. This pushed the woven section forward (to the left) and compressed the weaving, allowing the section behind the junction to flop free.
    That perpendicular pull is what caused the strand separation and constrictor end scrunch. It's like you were trying to pull your finger out of one of those Chinese finger traps without first loosening the trap.

Basically, before pulling on the free end you want to take the weight of the hammock off the constriction section, loosening its grip so the buried part can slide through the constrictor.

So to tighten the sling, you first have to push on the constrictor section (at the spot where you saw the separation) to loosen its grip. Then you can pull on the free end coming out of the bury, tightening the adjustable loop.

... and it is important to look good in a hammock, don't you agree?
    It's good to have your priorities straight!

HTH!
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    I think that this means that the tension on the two strands of the sling are not the same, because no matter how much you pull on the lower strand, the distance along the right strand from the Y to the HH whipping is the same, but you change the length of the lower strand. That means there will be a lateral pull on the lower left strand, and I bet is a contributing factor to this.

I think....

Grizz
    i dont get itneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    i dont get itneo
    i guess i need to see this in person to understand itneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    i guess i need to see this in person to understand itneo
    Yes you kind of do. I just made mine last night wow is it E A S Y. I ended up putting it on my ENO singlenest.

Ok, I have a question. It seems to me that if you want to be able to make quick adjustments on the fly (like ring buckles or such) you can not do it without some kind of hardware, like a caribiner. Is that the case? You whoopie sling owners might have an idea what I am talking about. Some people connect the sling at the hugger with a toggle which I will probably do but then you cant make the quick adjustments...

Stormcrow

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    Yes you kind of do. I just made mine last night wow is it E A S Y. I ended up putting it on my ENO singlenest.

Ok, I have a question. It seems to me that if you want to be able to make quick adjustments on the fly (like ring buckles or such) you can not do it without some kind of hardware, like a caribiner. Is that the case? You whoopie sling owners might have an idea what I am talking about. Some people connect the sling at the hugger with a toggle which I will probably do but then you cant make the quick adjustments...

Stormcrow
    Is your buried portion of the sling down at the hammock? If so you should have full adjustment there. The loop end will just get larger or smaller running back and forth across the toggle, or through a 'biner if you use one.

I hope that is clear....

Ken
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

"You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

Stormcrow
    Not following you there my friend. Maybe there is something packed up in your semantics for "quick adjustments".

So my constrictor suspensions all loop around a toggle at the tree. I stand in front of the constrictor, grap it with one hand and pull on the other cord to adjust (which cord depends on whether I'm trying to shorten or lengthen the suspension).

somebody ought to make a video for you on doing this stuff

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Ok, I have a question. It seems to me that if you want to be able to make quick adjustments on the fly (like ring buckles or such) you can not do it without some kind of hardware, like a caribiner. Is that the case? You whoopie sling owners might have an idea what I am talking about. Some people connect the sling at the hugger with a toggle which I will probably do but then you cant make the quick adjustments..
    Hey, Stormcrow!

The good thing about the ring buckles, etc., is that you can make those little adjustments while the line is under tension. Can't do that with a whoopie sling or UCR, because the constrictor needs to be loosened so the buried part can slide. You have to take up the tension with one hand while making the adjustment with the other, like when using a tautline hitch.

Also, with a whoopie sling the adjustable loop needs to slide freely around the thing it's secured to, e.g., a post, a ring, a toggle or whatever. One problem I had with whoopie slings with my toggles was that the adjustable eye would often pop off the (rather short, in my case) toggle as I made adjustments. So I prefer to have a fixed eye over the toggle, and use UCRs instead of whoopies.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    ...somebody ought to make a video for you on doing this stuff
    Great idea! Someone skilled, witty and experienced... any ideas?
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

• + New Posts
  • Page 25 of 106 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast