Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Huntsville AL
Hammock: diy bridge
I found it very difficult to make carbon fiber (CF) poles to match both the weight and strength of these which I think are extremely similar to the stock poles.
I tried pre-impregnated tow (spun on a lathe), biaxial, and unidirectional braid CF. I used a wet layup process and vacuum pressed and/or and used heat shrink tubing to construct the tubes and did not get the strength to weight ratio I wanted. However "Aerospace grade" (660ksi 24K) pre-impregnated CF with vacuum bag compaction and the extra force of the autoclave to "pressure cook" the laminate would produce the results you want. This is not cheap, the fabric alone is over $20 per sq foot.
I am using the tubes I made (with more CF added) on a (petal power) trike project.
Join Date: Jun 2009
Hammock: 1.1dbl Traveler
Tarp: MatCat Deluxe
I just received my BMBH and took Grizz's advice and removed the webbing.
Here's the original:
Here's a 7/64" Amsteel replacement (still need to cut-off the webbing).
I substituted a triangular ring for the JRB ring, used a larks head and another eye splice to connect everything.
And then finally a UCR for the adjustable portion.
Haven't compared weights yet, but it's probably a ~3oz savings per side.
Adjustability is better (IMHO).
|haven't, mods, received, thinking|