Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I don't know if it's already been said, but I will be treating my stand very gently. That thinwall tubing can be dented fairly easily, and with the small tolerances involved, one dent, and game over. An ounce of prevention...
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I don't know if it's already been said, but I will be treating my stand very gently. That thinwall tubing can be dented fairly easily, and with the small tolerances involved, one dent, and game over. An ounce of prevention...
    Like any nice piece of gear, treat it gently. That said, replacement parts including tubes are available.

The tubes are more robust than they look, but you don't want to bang with them or pile stuff on top of them.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    It's a balancing act between low weight and toughness. Yes, we could make the stand lighter and able to bear just as much or more weight, but at the expense of being too easily damaged from rough handling, in transit, etc. The telescopic design has the benefit of serving as its own protective case to a certain extent: the outer segments protect the inner when collapsed, while the inner reinforce the outer from squishing loads. Furthermore, tubing damage that might make the stand more likely to collapse under load will announce itself by interfering with the telescoping action. Finally, the 28-segment design means that damaged segments can be replaced economically.

We've had no reports of damage yet, knock wood. I have a hunch that the first failure report will come from somebody pulling on or pushing a pole while loaded, as by trying to use it as a handhold while getting in or out, or roughhousing. It's most vulnerable when set up and loaded.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    We've had no reports of damage yet, knock wood. I have a hunch that the first failure report will come from somebody pulling on or pushing a pole while loaded
    I did this with my DIY 2x2 version. getting into the Amok (for me) creates end to end swing to start, and initially I had the draumr too far to the one side, and as it came forward, it clipped one of the uprights and boom.

100% user error for sure, and i'm not sure it would have buckled a proper pole

After a bit of a fiasco with customs and the UK agents for USPS I finally got my Tensa4 today. As usual I've used my allotment as my test bed and I have to say I am really impressed with this one. If anything the Tensa stand feels more secure than my usual hang here which uses the frame of a polytunnel.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBB, Sierra Madre Para
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiMark View Post
    I guess if you are fine with more bulk & weight then you are free to choose. For anyone that wants a smaller & lighter stand for motorcycling, biking, kayaking, canoeing, etc. then the Tensahedron stand is certainly a great option. I have a HH stand that is quite clever in design, but I find it a pain to setup, needing 12 stakes to hold it up and sometimes requiring a 2nd or 3rd attempt to get it stakes securely enough. The Tensahedron stand worked great for me over 14 nights while on a motorcycle trip and has also worked great on a car camping trip.

I've done a quick backyard test with my RR hammock, need to get the tilt angle right (by adjusting the tether to the ground) and the spread distance right to hang the hammock with the spreader bars not hitting the poles, but it is doable IMO. I find my DH Sparrow more comfortable, so that's what I use.

I'll look into extension poles on the stand for attaching the tarp, saving the tarp poles and extra anchors to make setup and take-down quicker & easier. But everything worked well on that trip, for testing the stand I didn't use trees at all, just the stand each night for 14 nights. The best thing was being able to setup anywhere and not having to sleep on the ground.

Actually: For a Tato stand vs Tensahedron stand - I don't think that the Tato stand would work as well on uneven ground, the Tensahedron stand should work fine even on sloping ground or rough ground. Just something to consider when comparing the stands.
    Good golly, is that a WR250R? It's pretty clearly a Yamaha. The seat you've got on it is.... different, for a DP/dirt bike. Or is it a Yamaha's big 660 thumper? (whatever the designation.)

I looked at the Tato stand, and while it looks like a sweet piece of kit, when broken down it's too darn long for motorcycling. Sure, I could put it in my trailer, but if I were going to do that I might as well just do a mil-surp Turtledog instead and save $200.

I haven't reached the end of the thread yet, but it looks like I am DEFINITELY going to be getting one of these Tensahedron stands for moto-camping. NUTS. More $$ to spend, and like a top notch down quilt, the spending comes without the near instant gratification of the stuff showing up on your door in a couple days.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerDad View Post
    Good golly, is that a WR250R? It's pretty clearly a Yamaha. The seat you've got on it is.... different, for a DP/dirt bike. Or is it a Yamaha's big 660 thumper? (whatever the designation.)
    It's a Suzuki DR650 with a Russell Day Long seat I bought 2nd hand. Since then I've traded it in on a Honda which still works well at transporting me and my hammock setup:

To the left of my Tensa stand is a picnic table, quite handy as I used it to anchor that end of my stand.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Ordered mine today, I'll let you know how it works with a Chrysalis bridge hammock.

One easy thing for setup is the Chrysalis has the Camper Sleeve with built in tarp for decent weather camping. Plus the option of using my Black Cat tarp with doors and Bubogears poles if the weather looks bad.

Images
    It's a Suzuki DR650 with a Russell Day Long seat I bought 2nd hand. Since then I've traded it in on a Honda which still works well at transporting me and my hammock setup:

To the left of my Tensa stand is a picnic table, quite handy as I used it to anchor that end of my stand.

Nice, considered that one myself and still might but with a Honda 919 and a ST 1300 I will need to sell something before I put another one in the garage.

What poles are you using for your tarp?

Just got back from a camp trip and used the Tensa but no tarp. I didn't play around trying to secure one to the ends of the stand and know i've seen pics of the tarp connected to the ends of the Tensa but need to go back and look. I didn't really see a good option for attaching a tarp to the stand.

Images

Nice, considered that one myself and still might but with a Honda 919 and a ST 1300 I will need to sell something before I put another one in the garage.

What poles are you using for your tarp?

Just got back from a camp trip and used the Tensa but no tarp. I didn't play around trying to secure one to the ends of the stand and know i've seen pics of the tarp connected to the ends of the Tensa but need to go back and look. I didn't really see a good option for attaching a tarp to the stand.

• + New Posts
  • Page 24 of 182 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast