Are you shaking the solution very well prior to spraying? If there is water in the solution it has to be well mixed for the concentration to be consistent. If spraying on a hot sunny windy day the evaporation rate would be higher than on a cooler overcast day. This may be why there is a difference in smells. Or maybe the solvent is different. Do you have the MSDS for the product?
Just got thru treating all my hammocks. Now for a chance to go do some "field testing" to see how well the treatment works.
Merchants Mill Pond SP Swamp Hang
Free Hammock Classes
Hammock Gear Time Line
Hammock Friendly Sites in NC
I am 18 with 42 years of experience.
Hammock Hangers...taking over the world..2 trees at a time !
Warbonnet BB 1.7 and a whole lot of other great gear from the vendors on HF
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Tarp: Olive Superfly
Insulation: Incubat Dempsey TQ
Suspension: Stock Webbing
I just got a call from the store I ordered my 10% permethrin from. Apparently UPS called them and said they severely damaged the product and are working out a claim with the store.
I guess the UPS depot (or truck) are going to be very bug free for a long, long while.
On a lighter note, since I was waiting for so long for my 10% bottle to show up, I tracked down a flea and tick yard spray that was 2.5% (with other ingredients). It was on sale at a Wal-Mart for only $5.50, so I bought them out. One bottle covers 5000 square feet, and that was enough for my side and back yard. I didn't spray the hammock because the bottle doesn't list the other 97.5% ingredients. Within 24 hours my yard went from sounding like a wildlife refuge for insects, to eerily quiet (we have a lot of cicada this year). Mosquito still wander into the yard, but instead of me and the dogs running outside, then running in 5 minutes later all bit up, we've been chilling outside for a bit and coming back with maybe one bite each.
I figure once I soak some clothes and my hammock, I'll be 98% good from bugs in the yard!
I did my soak this week. I did a bunch of shirts, a Smartwool top, socks, hats, and pants. I tried the dryer method (except for the Smartwool top) because it's been humid and rainy this week here and needed them for Friday. After drying them and letting them hang overnight, I washed them and then dried them again. They still had a slight chemical smell to them, but I use the Tide with no scents or dyes added. I then washed them again in Woolite and there is only very little residual smell. I'm just worried that it may start smelling like chemical when we start sweating. Use a detergent with a scent, it should work better. Field test this weekend!
"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Charlotte, Michigan
Hammock: WB Tribe
Tarp: OGeeTarp & OES
Suspension: Webbing N Whoopie
Sounds like you are well on your way Perrito...good show mate.
And HawkEye....sorry to tell you this, but Spencer is not a cat!
And your other dog is not a fish!
So unless you are not taking your own advice and breathing this stuff in, you should be good to go pardner.
"If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."