MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for posting this Knotty. I put together a hammock last night loosely base on you instructions and BOY HOWDY! What an awesome difference it made. I hope to post pictures soon. Once I am able to set up a hammock during some semblance of daylight.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Ok, so now the big question: for those who have sewn in a footbox triangle and tried a Knotty-Stretch Side... Which is better?

I have a DIY BB style hammock, but looking to use a HUG net and drop some weight...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    I'm interested in the answer to that too JohnSawyer.

I'd also like to know what the pros and cons are between Knotty's design (which has the shock cord near the foot on both sides) and the Wilderness Logics design (which has one near the foot and the other diagonally opposite, near the head). Has anybody tried both?
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    Ok, so now the big question: for those who have sewn in a footbox triangle and tried a Knotty-Stretch Side... Which is better?

I have a DIY BB style hammock, but looking to use a HUG net and drop some weight...
    A "which hammock is better" question from you? I like the side stretch, but that's me. It's much easier to get into and out of. I think they're both comfortable to sleep in, but again, that's me.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images

Why have only one when you can have both! I did a mod that combined the footbox and stretch side ideas. Medicineman is doing the testing on one of his hammocks. I will try to get some video or pics soon.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Anyone want a vid of the stretch triangle? Hangout performed this mod on a double Neutron (Neutron is very similar to a WB Traveler)....and yes it combines the best of both worlds and adds yet another feature besides the triangle of fabric and the elastic....that extra is a retention cord-use it if you want or not; what it does is secure the triangle against a greater force-like your feet pushing against it while you are slowly sliding downhill. Downhill? How could this happen you ask....well not once but twice lately I've set up the Neutron or the Traveler with my foot side a little low-so I slid downhill albeit very slowly through the night. Woke up with my legs about a foot out of the hammock! The retention cord simply goes from the triangle to the ridgeline and hooks on (or off in the same amount of time-about a millisecond).
    So clip on when your ready for sleep....or not...even without the retention cord in place, when you get out of the hammock the elastic triangle keeps your underquilt from falling out. In and out of the hammock is not hampered on that side-its elastic. Even with the retention cord in place I can get in/out too, just remember to pull your feet beyond it before you swing out.
    The Neutron is cut for my height...no excess...so it's a smaller hammock for me and smaller meant quilt falling out easily-not so anymore.
    Forgot to state the obvious...some of us detect a different lay in the Traveler over the Blackbird and though the bottoms of the Traveler and Blackbird are identical the 'footbox' of the Blackbird is in some magical way assisted by the netting and its other connections. This mod helps the Travler and traveler type hammocks more equally approximate the Blackbird feel AND creates a box (a three sided box?) for your feet.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    A "which hammock is better" question from you? I like the side stretch, but that's me. It's much easier to get into and out of. I think they're both comfortable to sleep in, but again, that's me.
    Yeah.. even from me... So far, I haven't made a hammock I didn't like... though I'm thinking my current hammock is a bit overboard so I'm minimizing the next one... taking it to a simpler design... I was about to sew on the footbox triangle when this thread caught my eye again... Sigh... it's tough being stuck in analysis paralysis....

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Anyone want a vid of the stretch triangle? Hangout performed this mod on a double Neutron (Neutron is very similar to a WB Traveler)....and yes it combines the best of both worlds and adds yet another feature besides the triangle of fabric and the elastic....that extra is a retention cord-use it if you want or not; what it does is secure the triangle against a greater force-like your feet pushing against it while you are slowly sliding downhill. Downhill? How could this happen you ask....well not once but twice lately I've set up the Neutron or the Traveler with my foot side a little low-so I slid downhill albeit very slowly through the night. Woke up with my legs about a foot out of the hammock! The retention cord simply goes from the triangle to the ridgeline and hooks on (or off in the same amount of time-about a millisecond).
    So clip on when your ready for sleep....or not...even without the retention cord in place, when you get out of the hammock the elastic triangle keeps your underquilt from falling out. In and out of the hammock is not hampered on that side-its elastic. Even with the retention cord in place I can get in/out too, just remember to pull your feet beyond it before you swing out.
    The Neutron is cut for my height...no excess...so it's a smaller hammock for me and smaller meant quilt falling out easily-not so anymore.
    Forgot to state the obvious...some of us detect a different lay in the Traveler over the Blackbird and though the bottoms of the Traveler and Blackbird are identical the 'footbox' of the Blackbird is in some magical way assisted by the netting and its other connections. This mod helps the Travler and traveler type hammocks more equally approximate the Blackbird feel AND creates a box (a three sided box?) for your feet.
    Yes, Yes yes! Pics, 3D models, videos and holograms requested!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images

I've made both and prefer the stretch side, mostly because it doesn't restrict you to entering and exiting the hammock from only one side. Other than that, there isn't any change in the lay of the hammock.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Not able to set up during daylight but here is a close up of what I was able to come up with based on Knotty's dgn...

and

Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I made a stretch side hammock today, and I love it. I cannot imagine not sleeping in my BB but since I have been having some problems sleeping on my back, I am going to start sleeping in one of these when I go hanging. I also ordered one of them from The company who makes them. BTW, I set out to improve on the idea and did what I have been wanting to do for a long time. I cut the ends of the hammock diagonal by making one long side of the hammock ten inches longer than the other side. I put in the channels for the end whipping and the bungy cord and wow, talk about FLAT!!!! In fact I kept rolling right out of the hammock in the direction of the long side. I had to redo the ends and make them square. Oh well.. Had to try.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast