Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Which hammock is for me?

Hey guys, new to the forums, but I'm looking to buy my first ENO hammock within the next week. I'm 6' even and I weight about 165-175 lbs. I want enough room to where I can sleep in it overnight, but not TOO much room or extra space. This makes me question:

Should I go for the singlenest or the double? I hear the single is nice, but a bit snug and the double allows "diagonal" sleeping and a more flat lay.

If I should get the double, would it benefit me to get the deluxe or just stick with the regular?

I appreciate all responses!

Andrew=D

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    double. most hammocks you need a diagonal lay in it to be comfy, plus with the double you can use it as a full function chair (meaning theres back support, even head support at times), not so much with the single.

a quick suggestion is (depending on your suspension setup) got to the local out doors shop and see what the exchange policy is, buy one and then swap it for the other. i did that about 4 times. but i wasnt laying in it right (was being a taco...) and couldnt get fully comfy in either, so i settled on the DN just because of the "chair" function as my deciding factor and finally came here and figured out how to make that thing work.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I don't know the difference between the deluxe and the regular. I made my indoor sleeper to match the doublenest dimensions. I loved it. It was very comfortable. If the only difference is the slap straps that come with it then go for the regular... ditch the slap straps and give it a good suspension. You'll be glad you did.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Great, thanks. I'm leaning towards the double.

Another question:

i know the slap straps have the downside of "stretching" after some time and they have other types of webbing that doesn't stretch, but is there anything as simple as the slap straps just made of a different material? Links, please?

Thanks again.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    For me.. the simplicity of the suspension is being able to set up any place I want, without being too selective about spacing and being able to dial in my preferred hang. On that criteria the slap straps are among the most complex suspensions out there because the intervals at which you can attach the hammock are fixed. You can't change them. So you can be in between the hook loops for your most comfortable hang and you can't do anything about it. And sometimes inches is all the difference you need.

Most suspensions go up quick and easy once you get the technique. I use a webbing/ring buckle suspension. I slip two biners over the webbing and set my sag. Quick and easy as that.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew5426 View Post
    Great, thanks. I'm leaning towards the double.

Another question:

i know the slap straps have the downside of "stretching" after some time and they have other types of webbing that doesn't stretch, but is there anything as simple as the slap straps just made of a different material? Links, please?

Thanks again.
    Andrew,

Welcome. I got the double as a starting point and loved it. I bought two more. I got the slap straps pro and they don't stretch over time. They stretch immediately and they do it every time you put up the hammock. I set it head height - straight across between the trees. After I put my weight on it (arm pits), it stretches down and down. Very inconveinent.

I had some poly straps (like from Home Depot, used to strap stuff down), but the cam got in the way. Did it once car camping and couldn't get the knots out.

I got some poly straps like this:

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...ts/show/945363

but I need to get more as I have some more hammocks to string up.

The biggest difference was when I switched out the Slap Straps with these:

http://whoopieslings.com/

I heard all the 'hype' on here about them, so I got one pair. Amazing difference. Don't waste your money on the slap straps. Get a pair of whoopies and about 8' of poly straps for each tree. Get an extra whoopie for the ridgeline like this:

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...s/show/1452521

These changes will definitely change the basic ENO double to a great hammock. Read through this forum under the ENO and you'll get a better idea.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by rodwolfy View Post
    Andrew,

Welcome. I got the double as a starting point and loved it. I bought two more. I got the slap straps pro and they don't stretch over time. They stretch immediately and they do it every time you put up the hammock. I set it head height - straight across between the trees. After I put my weight on it (arm pits), it stretches down and down. Very inconveinent.

I had some poly straps (like from Home Depot, used to strap stuff down), but the cam got in the way. Did it once car camping and couldn't get the knots out.

I got some poly straps like this:

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...ts/show/945363

but I need to get more as I have some more hammocks to string up.

The biggest difference was when I switched out the Slap Straps with these:

http://whoopieslings.com/

I heard all the 'hype' on here about them, so I got one pair. Amazing difference. Don't waste your money on the slap straps. Get a pair of whoopies and about 8' of poly straps for each tree. Get an extra whoopie for the ridgeline like this:

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...s/show/1452521

These changes will definitely change the basic ENO double to a great hammock. Read through this forum under the ENO and you'll get a better idea.

Rod
    I've heard loads about these Whoopie Slings, but how exactly does it work? I'm having trouble understanding exactly.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Jarbridge River UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    I've heard loads about these Whoopie Slings, but how exactly does it work? I'm having trouble understanding exactly.
    The woopie sling is made out of a sort of braided rope. It can be spliced, which basically means you can slip the rope inside itself. This creates what's called a bury, and the rope can be slid in or out to make it shorter or longer. When pulled tight it uses constriction and acts like Chinese handcuffs. It's a bit oversimplified I know, but just to try and help you understand.

I personally have whoopies for my ENO DN and they are amazing. Way easier than the crapstraps any day. I highly suggest getting yourself a set.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Andrew, here's a link to an outstanding video by Grizz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw6P3pHt8KI

Here's how to convert your ENO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXlwPKoKw9Q

Well worth the investment. Paul has them on sale right now. Get two:

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...s/show/1099697

You might want to look into the pro nest as well. I have all three and only use the double and the pro. The pro is a solid sheet of nylon instead of three panels stitched together. Im about 190lbs and the panels stretch more than the stitching for me, creating pressure spots under my back. The double gives me more wiggle room and space for my wife. The pro is shorter, MAYBE too short for you, but as already mentioned, if purchased at a store with a decent return policy, you can try it out. I can get flat in all three, but with the pronest I am more on top of the hammock instead of surrounded by it, and have unobstructed views. The deluxe double has an extra seam in the middle and I wound up laying on either side of it with a bunch of unusable material on the other. I use whoopies on the pro and webbing with a jrb triglide on the double. For me, pronest and whoopies are king...but as always ymmv

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast