Hammock
    Speer Hammock IIIC
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer SnugFit
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie slings
    I agree with FanaticFringer -- straps aren't ropes, chains, or wires; thus, no violation. Don't let any bureaucrat rewrite the rules on you on the spot should one try.

FarStar

You could also point out the damage done to the ground by tents. Probably wouldn't help but you might get them distracted enough to go away and start outlawing tents...lol

John

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Pave paradise and put up a parking lot. Call that a campsite.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    stock JH tarp
    Insulation
    CCF and body fat
    Quote Originally Posted by FarStar View Post
    I agree with FanaticFringer -- straps aren't ropes, chains, or wires; thus, no violation. Don't let any bureaucrat rewrite the rules on you on the spot should one try.

FarStar
    Just a word of warning: that bureaucrat may well have the power to arrest you or evict you from the park. That'll ruin a trip a lot more than going to ground. I would suggest being diplomatic and courteous during the encounter with said bureaucrat, and later, when you're back in the safety and comfort of home, take the issue up with the bureaucrat's superiors if you think you must.

I know a lot of law enforcement, and despite a few who are overaggressive and drunk with power, the vast majority are reasonable men and women who, like anyone else, prefer to be treated with respect and react accordingly. I wouldn't start an argument with a cop on the street, or a ranger in the woods, over the proper interpretation of the law; I'd be on their turf, so to speak, and I'm pretty sure they can win the argument by arresting me if they feel they have to.

Just my opinion...

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Even in the evil Smokies, where hikers are treated as inmates, the rangers and ridge runners were willing to look the other way with me. On three occasions I was “caught” setting-up my hammock outside the shelter; always close by.

After casually discussing the reasons for shelter rules (lower impact) all three of them told me to ‘go ahead’ because they saw the merit of the LNT code and hammocks. In none of these cases were the shelters even close to full.

Nails hit it right on the head (of the nail ), be courteous and they (LEOs) are much more likely to listen, instead of just order.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Even in the evil Smokies, where hikers are treated as inmates, the rangers and ridge runners were willing to look the other way with me. On three occasions I was “caught” setting-up my hammock outside the shelter; always close by.

After casually discussing the reasons for shelter rules (lower impact) all three of them told me to ‘go ahead’ because they saw the merit of the LNT code and hammocks. In none of these cases were the shelters even close to full.

Nails hit it right on the head (of the nail ), be courteous and they (LEOs) are much more likely to listen, instead of just order.
    I used to work with Conservation Officers in Indiana and they have more jurisdiction than a police officer. In addition, they are truly tough guys. Facing people with guns in the woods daily requires not only nerves of steel, but also good judgement about who the bad guys are. If you display an attitude of cooperation and respect, most likely you will get that in return. The last thing in the world they want is a confrontation, they see too much of that as it is, they are not going to try to create it.

While there are exceptions, my experience has been very positive in dealing with LEO's. I am proactive with them, show them my permits, PFD if necessary, etc. knowing what they are looking for. They smile and understand I am one of the good guys, and they go off looking for the rogues trashing out the forest and the river.

My $.02
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Here's the trip report:

Friday night: I got in around 10:30pm. The campground was pretty empty and it was raining hard. I set up my tarp, then set up my hammock. I slept pretty well and was quite dry.

Saturday morning: I broke camp early and never saw anyone.

Saturday afternoon: I came back and set up camp. I had some time to kill and wanted to dry out my tarp.

A ranger came by around 5pm. He said the tarp would have to come down (he could not see my hammock in the tarp).

I told him that the tarp/hammock were my only shelter. I also told him that I was using big straps to prevent hunting the trees.

The ranger was not happy but let me slide because it was getting late and the park was pretty empty. I'm pretty sure he would have made me take it down in the peak of the season.

So to summarize, I wouldn't plan on hanging in Indiana State parks, especially Chain of Lakes State Park.

If you really want to hang, just set up you hammock after dark...

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    stock JH tarp
    Insulation
    CCF and body fat
    Quote Originally Posted by mad_angler View Post
    So to summarize, I wouldn't plan on hanging in Indiana State parks...
    Oh well. There's nothing to see in Indiana anyway, is there?

Indiana wants me.
    Lord, I can't go back there...

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    Oh well. There's nothing to see in Indiana anyway, is there?

Indiana wants me.
    Lord, I can't go back there...
    LMAO...I just heard that song the other day (R. Dean Taylor)!

As an Indiana resident, I would disagree with there is nothing to see. Plenty of great camping and hanging in the central to southern parts of the state (I never go north so I'm not sure up there. Then again, I don't camp/hang in the State Parks so maybe that's why I never seem to have a problem.

C'mon down Nails...Mule and I can take you on some GREAT hiking and hanging spots. Then, we might even venture up north and let you educate us on PA!
    Last edited by animalcontrol; 09-17-2008 at 13:40.
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    stock JH tarp
    Insulation
    CCF and body fat
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    LMAO...I just heard that song the other day (R. Dean Taylor)!

As an Indiana resident, I would disagree with there is nothing to see. Plenty of great camping and hanging in the central to southern parts of the state (I never go north so I'm not sure up there. Then again, I don't camp/hang in the State Parks so maybe that's why I never seem to have a problem.

C'mon down Nails...Mule and I can take you on some GREAT hiking and hanging spots. Then, we might even venture up north and let you educate us on PA!
    Well, I'm glad the Hoosier state, as represented by one hammock-hanger, received my little joke so well. Next time I get out that way, I'll let ya'll know. I appreciate the offer and the sense of humor. But I don't wanna hijack this thread, so I'll go...

OK, one more at Indiana's expense: Do you guys have to reserve the state's two trees to avoid hanging between stalks of corn?

Thanks. I'm here all week. Try the veal. [crickets chirping; audience member throws beer bottle]

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast