Hennessy Expedition A-Sym
    Tarp
    stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    pad & sleeping bag
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings

Newbie's gonna try to make his first hammock Newbie

Okay, so as a result of the encouraging and helpful postings I got today in the Introduce Yourself sub-forum, I've decided I'm going to give hammocking a try...but as I mentioned on that sub-forum, I'm too miserly to shell out for one without trying it first, so I'm gonna try my hand at a DIY hammock and suspension system.

Fortunately, I was given a gathered-end, backyard hammock by some friends a few years ago, so I think I have something to start with. It's not intended as a camping hammock, but it's very lightweight, seems solidly-constructed of 100% nylon. I don't intend to use the S-hook is comes with, nor the heavy rope they have running through each end. It's made by Hammock Village and I'm hoping to find out if the DIYers here think this is good enough to start from. Here's a photo and some specs from their website.

I think I can get my hands on some webbing, and I'm thinking I can make my own whoopie sling.

Any suggestions, tips, and cautionary notes would be appreciated.

Thanks again,
    - Martin
    No one has ever been heard to say on a deathbed, "I wish I'd put in more time at the office."

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Welcome.

At 8 1/2' it's shorter than is usually recommended, but you have it, so you might as well play with it. You can try out the whoopie slings and tree straps you plan to make with it and than transfer them to longer hammock in the future.

Use polyester webbing for the tree straps. It doesn't have the stretch of nylon webbing that is often found to be problematic.

Most of all...have fun.

Hammock
    1.4 oz Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    5x7
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    10' straps
    I agree - you have it so play around with it and see if you can set it up with the stock suspension in different configurations, and then play around with other forms too... I went with a walmart stock hammock, switched out the suspension a couple times, and then made my own.

They're very easy to make once you decide which one you want, there are plans on youtube, this forum, and on various hammock websites even.

If you can't sew, or don't want to, you can even buy material already hemmed from tableclothsfactory...

Welcome and good luck!

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Greetings

The info in the picture says the total length is 11' long. I hope that is the overall fabric length of the hammock. I would measure along one of the edges with a sewing tape measure and double check that.

One other tid bit of information, the best place to get Amsteel in Canada is

http://www.redden-rope.com/

You want the 7/64" size and you will need about 14' per sling to make one that has 6' of adjustment.

Good luck with the project and let us know how it turns out for you.

Cheers

Brian
    Last edited by BrianWillan; 10-22-2012 at 10:44. Reason: typo
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Hey PM, nice to see you here! Recognize your name from AA (the park forum not the no more beer one...)

I'm in the process of making up a very long shopping list to get started making my own bridge hammock. You're close enough that if there's stuff you need, maybe we can put in one order and be done with it.

I'm headed for a hammock cause there's no way on earth you'd get me to sleep on the ground nor get up and down and in and out of a tent. It's the perfect solution for this oldie!

PM me if you want in on an order.

Beth

Hammock
    Tarp
    stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    pad & sleeping bag
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Well...you folks are just too upbeat, positive and encouraging. I was expecting someone to tell me I was barking up the wrong tree and warn me off. Now I'm gonna have to go through with this.

Okay...so the hammock I'm starting with is 8.5 feet long, which a couple of people have pointed out is on the short side. There's nothing I can do about that, presumably, but I have a couple of questions about this:

First, I'm curious what a good length would be for my size and height. I'm 5'10" and 155 lbs.

Second, am I correct in thinking that, everything else being equal, a longer hammock results in a flatter lay (when properly set up) and that a short hammock like this would result in a saggier hang?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Oh, and Beth, nice to see you here. If I do need to order materials, I will let you know so we can get some savings by ordering together. I'm in Huntsville.

Cheers,
    - Martin
    No one has ever been heard to say on a deathbed, "I wish I'd put in more time at the office."

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Martin; the positive energy your seeing/feeling is a result of how much hammocks have changed people's camping life. Comfort is the #1 thing people get from hanging. Like others have said your hammock is on the short side and you would be better served with a proper camping hammock, after all why have an army half when you can have a snowtrekker tent. Your what i would call average sized person. If your buying a hammock the sellers usually have charts for weight. You'd be on the lighter side of things ie a warbonnet blackbird in single 1.1oz or double 1.1 if you wanted the pad sleeve. Allot of hammocks lately have been 11ft long with approx. a 108-110 ridgeline. This seems to get a very nice lay. I own a Blackbird, which is a very nice hammock, and recently bought a WL Lite Owl, 11ft long , and its become one of my favorites. If your going to DIY i would just go straight to an 11ft x60" wide hammock. DIYGear has material at good prices and ships USPS. Altho whoopie slings are cool and light weight they aren't quite as versatile as webbing and buckles in that the later allows you a few more choices using trees closer together. This difference only comes up once and a while tho. As i believe someone has mentioned before some folks are buying material from Tablecloth Factory? and i believe someone is also offering a hammock kit,,might be DIYGear, i forget.

Good luck

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by PineMartyn View Post
    ...Second, am I correct in thinking that, everything else being equal, a longer hammock results in a flatter lay (when properly set up) and that a short hammock like this would result in a saggier hang?...
    Yes, the longer hammock lets you lay on the diagonal which results in a flatter lay.

The shorter hammock confines you to a less of a diagonal lay which puts you in more of a banana shape.

Hammock
    Tarp
    stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    pad & sleeping bag
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Thanks for yet more valuable input.

Okay...I've completed my hammock and suspension system using materials I had around the house: webbing, lots of good cordage, biners, etc. I'm going take a hike out into the woods with my wife on the next non-rainy day (tomorrow, I'm hoping) to see if what I've cobbled together will actually support me and to see if it's possible to lie close to flat in this hammock.

Upon measuring it, it turns out it's 9' long by 4.5' wide. It doesn't matter to me if it's too short though, as I just want to get some sense of what it feels like and to see if my suspension system will work. The webbing straps I have are made from some synthetic material, but I have no idea what specifically, so there may be too much stretch in them, but I'll have to find out the hard way. I'll post a follow-up once I've given it a try. I'll include photos if it works.

Cheers and thanks to all of you,
    - Martin

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Martin

If your hammock is too short for you, it may be perfectly fine for your wife. Be sure and have her try it out as well.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast