Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I took this to mean whether you could use shorter than 8 foot boards...
    I suppose you could. It would mean figuring out new, shorter lengths for all the ropes. But here is another thing to consider: Once that 8 ft board is leaning at 60°, the total height is not much higher than 7 ft, which is a perfect hanging height for a distance of 14 ft to give the hammock the right 30° hang angle, etc. It all works out very nicely.

You could use other materials like metal fence posts and use couplers to combine two, 4 ft lengths, for example, but I think this is overkill. This stand isn't anything I would want to backpack with and 8 ft is easily transportable; it sticks out a bit in the back of a pick-up truck, but it's not much, and it fit fine in my van. I guess it's all about what you are trying to achieve with shorter struts.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Terrific! (As in, "Yet Another Terrific Stand" - it's not exactly a tensegrity prism, but you could argue that tension holds it together, or holds the ends apart, or something .... )

I agree that it could be smaller. Are there any hammocks that really need more than a 10-foot span in which to hang? I also agree that the way to scale it down is just that - scale it down, so you retain the 60 degree angles. Geometry is your friend.

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    BA Yampa, Exped 7s
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    10-foot span at what height?
    To Boldly Hang Where No One Has Hung Before...

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Terrific! (As in, "Yet Another Terrific Stand" - it's not exactly a tensegrity prism, but you could argue that tension holds it together, or holds the ends apart, or something .... )

I agree that it could be smaller. Are there any hammocks that really need more than a 10-foot span in which to hang? I also agree that the way to scale it down is just that - scale it down, so you retain the 60 degree angles. Geometry is your friend.
    It's certainly not a complete tensegrity stand, but it does look like the prism/hourglass we built just cut in half, right above where the poles intersect.

BTW: The amsteel arrived sometime over the weekend but I was out of town until Monday, which is when I picked it up.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunHiker View Post
    Beyond the hammock length, you need to accommodate for shelter/tarp above. I would be eager to have someone build a smaller version, but a minimum distance of 12 feet is about right for most tarp ridgelines. The 14 feet I'm using is about what I look for in the field, so for me, this is just perfect for my tarps with a few inches to allow for tying the ridgeline and the hammock suspension above that.

I think this is the piece that is missing in many hammock stands -- plenty of distance (or minimum distance) for the hammock, but not enough for the tarp. If the typical hammock is hung with end-to-end sag length of 9 feet, you want a tarp that will give you at least a foot clearance on either side.

A 9x9 tarp pitched as a diamond has a ridgeline of 12.7 feet -- just perfect for most hammocks, but you still need an inch or two to tie off. I would say a minimum distance of 13 feet is the shortest you may attempt to get everything to fit.

When I looked at some of the other multi-hammock stands, one thing I saw almost universally was that there wasn't enough room for the tarp. The photos from the BSA Jamboree showed scouts who had wrapped about 6 inches of their tarp around the poles since there wasn't enough room.

I'm not really interested in making a custom, purpose-created tarp for this type of stand because I like more versatility in my gear. If I can take three hammocks and use their tarps as-is, I think that is more modular and versatile, but it means my stand must accommodate for tarps.

Attached Images Attached Images

This set up look like what was at Burning Man about 1998 or 1999. Its just a hammock set up with out trees. The only cute thing is that by adding 1 pole they could now hang 3. They used the 2X4's at 60* and the bottom ropes, because the soil there is so hard.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Dejoha, can you figure out a way to peak up the tarps, so that snow doesn't collect on the roof?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunHiker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Beyond the hammock length, you need to accommodate for shelter/tarp above. I would be eager to have someone build a smaller version, but a minimum distance of 12 feet is about right for most tarp ridgelines. The 14 feet I'm using is about what I look for in the field, so for me, this is just perfect for my tarps with a few inches to allow for tying the ridgeline and the hammock suspension above that.

I think this is the piece that is missing in many hammock stands -- plenty of distance (or minimum distance) for the hammock, but not enough for the tarp. If the typical hammock is hung with end-to-end sag length of 9 feet, you want a tarp that will give you at least a foot clearance on either side.

A 9x9 tarp pitched as a diamond has a ridgeline of 12.7 feet -- just perfect for most hammocks, but you still need an inch or two to tie off. I would say a minimum distance of 13 feet is the shortest you may attempt to get everything to fit.

When I looked at some of the other multi-hammock stands, one thing I saw almost universally was that there wasn't enough room for the tarp. The photos from the BSA Jamboree showed scouts who had wrapped about 6 inches of their tarp around the poles since there wasn't enough room.

I'm not really interested in making a custom, purpose-created tarp for this type of stand because I like more versatility in my gear. If I can take three hammocks and use their tarps as-is, I think that is more modular and versatile, but it means my stand must accommodate for tarps.
    Good points. I'm already using a custom tarp that has a shorter ridgeline and hangs lower because I see the same space restrictions hanging from trees in the forest. It's often convenient to be able to hang from two trees that are only 10' apart. My tarp also has end flaps that give better coverage than it would have if it were simply two feet longer.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images

Here's a quick video I made showing how easy it is to set up this particular stand. I took about 8 minutes to set up, and I was taking my time. The video is in fast motion.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xauto View Post
    This set up look like what was at Burning Man about 1998 or 1999. Its just a hammock set up with out trees. The only cute thing is that by adding 1 pole they could now hang 3. They used the 2X4's at 60* and the bottom ropes, because the soil there is so hard.
    Yes! This is where I got the idea. Their website had all the directions (I quoted in my original post).

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast