Aye yi yi! nother noob wants a hammock post!

Hi, another noob wantin to try some backpack hanging. Normally I use a Bivy, a good mat and ground tarp to sleep, so I guess I do like to go as light as possible. Except when my woman comes then all bets are off! Really not sure if this is for me although I have fallen asleep many times in the back yard hammock!

So I'm thinking basic setup to get me through a quick 3-4 niter to try it out. Want to keep the cost down in case I end up tossing it into the pile-o-stuff that no longer gets used. I will be doing some trips this summer into some pretty bug infested places so if it works a bug net will be important. I like the idea of a separate bug net so I can take it off / leave it when not in use. Anyway, here's what I came up with. I estimate around 4lb's with tarp and added suspension !

Hammock - Eagles Nest Outfitters DoubleNest Hammock

Bug net - Scout Hammock Mosquito Net by Exped Or, here's a video

Suspension - Got some 1" webbing for tree straps and some 1/8" amsteel (for whoopie slings and hammock ridgeline) I think will work.

Tarp - Got a light weight 8x10 that I take with me now. Big enough?

Thought you might let me know what you all think?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Good starter set up. I started the same way. I might suggest going to ArrowHead Equipment to get your straps & whoopies (less fiddle factor). You also will want some insulation. I used a wally world CCF pad ($10) and my sleeping bag the first few trips.

If you like it, get an integrated bug net hammock (like WBBB, DangerBird, SwitchBack or others) and a real UQ. The UQ really makes a difference. Even on an ENO.

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    http://store.grandtrunkgoods.com/ham...lon-hammock-60
    2 ounces lighter and a foot longer. Same price and will also hold 400 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Good starter set up. I started the same way. I might suggest going to ArrowHead Equipment to get your straps & whoopies (less fiddle factor). You also will want some insulation. I used a wally world CCF pad ($10) and my sleeping bag the first few trips.

If you like it, get an integrated bug net hammock (like WBBB, DangerBird, SwitchBack or others) and a real UQ. The UQ really makes a difference. Even on an ENO.

Thanks Boomer! I already have a Thermarest NeoAir and a Prolite. was thinking the prolite (moslty deflated) for the R factor even though it is heavier? But I was going to try both out before I go.

Ummm, UQ = UnderQuilt? If so, hmmm, more weight! Not a gram weanie but this is certainly turning into a lot more weight than my regular setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    http://store.grandtrunkgoods.com/ham...lon-hammock-60
    2 ounces lighter and a foot longer. Same price and will also hold 400 pounds.
    Nice! Not 400lbs, but I do like that it's longer and lighter! Thanks! I did notice, no reviews... and are those steel beiners? No biggie, planning on modding the suspension anyway but just saying... it will be lighter!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Well, if you want a review:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=49696

Yes, UnderQuilt. Much more warm & comfortable than a pad. You'll usually get a cold shoulder from a pad, as they're not wide enough. They also interfere with the lay of the hammock.

Check out some of Shugs videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Check out some of Shugs videos.
    In fact that is how I found this place! Great information even though the mans elevator might not go all the way to the top if you know what I mean! Really though, he did make learning hammocks enjoyable, and definitely sparked some ideas for me! His vids should absolutely be on the top of every noobs list to watch.

Thanks again Boomer!

• + New Posts