WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Yes you are correct. That is how my Claytor hammock is setup. I use grip clips for the Asym tieouts and am using roughly the same ratio for the placement of the tieouts. Functions and looks a fair amount like a Hennessy.

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    First an introduction and then boatloads of gratitude to all of the posters in this thread and many other thread on this forum. I am Turtlelady from the western part of Kentucky. I have been lurking and studying posts here for many months. My gratitude to you all has prompted me to post today. Using the suggestions here I took apart the
    rigging of my modest $16.00 hammock I ordered last spring, rolled the ends, whipped them with a structural ridgeline through the whipping for no aditional costs. This improved the comfort of my lay immensely! Thank you many times over for all your sharing and kind spirits and your multi-talents. A special heartfelt thank you to Shadowmoss for all her very patient encouragement and generosity in so many ways. I am now encouraged that hammocking can work for me and I will move forward to other improvements. My next project will be to make a hammock stand, likely a version of Risk's design, as my basic goal for now is a workable system to use indoors. If I can conquer the challenges hammocking presents for me with my particular needs, then I will get more serious about using hammocks for camping. I look forward to joyfully learning much more from all of you. Happy hammocking to you all. Much gratitude from an aging ground dweller who wishes to leave the ground and fly!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    Exped Poncho/Tarp
    Insulation
    WallcreepBivanorak
    Suspension
    Eno SlapStrap Pro
    Nice job HC4U,
    Did you ever add the bug net?
    Would like to see some pics and thoughts on that.
    Thanks for the post.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Trees View Post
    Nice job HC4U,
    Did you ever add the bug net?
    Would like to see some pics and thoughts on that.
    Thanks for the post.
    Check out page 4 of this thread for pics of the bug net.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    HC4U,
    I have been following you HH clone hammock project for awhile now and I am plannng to make one myself. I was wondering what you used for the main hammock straps (from hammock to tree) and the ridgeline.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Currently I am using the polyester camo webbing from Outdoor Wilderness Fabric and my ridge lines are Amsteel 7/64 or Amsteel Blue.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    I made a hammock based on this tutorial. Great directions, hc4u! Thank you very much.

I used 1.9oz ripstop and noseeum from Ed Speers. I also added the little triangle at the tie-outs to make the zipper run straighter. The bug net is not removable, but has a full-length zipper so it can be flipped over the ridgeline. I did not measure for the bug net dimensions, but wrote a little program to compute the shape. Worked out well. At the end of the zipper, I put a little patch of dyneema ripstop. I put a 3/4" channel in the ends of the hammock and ran a piece of cord through them to gather the fabric. I used a cable tie to hold it in place. The hammock weighs 15 oz without suspension.

Love the hammock! It is very comfortable. I took it on a trip on the Foothills Trail last week and was amazed at how much warmth the bug net added. When I get around to it, I will make an overcover that attaches to the bug net. Below are some pictures.

Thanks again, hc4u, for providing such an excellent tutorial!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    You did a heck of a job. I thought it was a HH before carefully reading the list of your gear in your trip report.

www.meancatcoffee.com

Let me first apologize if this isn't the brightest question, but the searches for the individual materials have been of no use, as they produce far too many results for me to sort through.

I've read that the largest reason for using the ripstop nylon is availabilty and pricing, however while at a fabric store, both 100% polyester and a blend of 50% polyester and 50% nylon were on sale. I haven't found any immediate complaints as to the use of polyester that would affect me, though I haven't found any specific benefits either. As for the blend, I can't seem to locate any information, but from the feel of the individual materials, it actually surpasses the aforementioned and nylon in probable use ( wether that's my personal preference for feel or informatively backed is debateable).

So, I suppose my question is: can anyone think of a reason not to get the blend? and if so, anyone have further oppinions (or more detailed) of polyester in such an application as this thread describes? It very well might be the quality of nylon the store carries, but it didn't feel similiar at all to the ENO i've tried (which is unfortunately my only hammock experience thus far), whereas the other two materials seem perfect (to my untrained eye).

Thanks so much for this thread, and I can't wait to start applying what I learned here.

As a side note, Coffee: Do you know roughly the measurements of fabric you begin with? I am also 6'4 and worry it may be an issue (of my own fault) when I first try.

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    K Trout, Poly is great, Nylon is fine, can't see any problem with a blend. That being said my question is the weight. Seems like most fabric stores often have heavier materials. Your looking for approx 1.9oz/sq yard.
    I'm sure coffee will answer but I think he said he (6'4" tall) used 120". I think it was Burning Cedar that used 130" (he's 5'10") both are common sizes used by Hennessy.
    Last edited by jeffjenn; 03-16-2009 at 15:29.
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast