Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Check my gear please

This seems like a pretty basic question but I dont want screw up my first real outdoor hammock hang. This is going to be the weather for this weekend where I'm going
    Friday...Mostly sunny in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Highs 74 to 82. Light winds becoming southwest around 15 mph in the afternoon.

Friday Night...Mostly clear. Lows around 46. Southwest winds around 15 mph in the evening becoming light.

Saturday...Partly cloudy. Highs 76 to 84. Lows 46 to 51.

I only have 1/2 of a set up and want to make sure I should be ok
    1 JRB BMBH
    1 REI 3.5'' self inflatable air mattress
    1 Big agnes summit park sleeping bag (15 degree rating)
    1 9'x9' blue painters tarp (if too small I will buy a 12x12 painters tarp)
    Might take large blanket to fill in any cold spots during the night. Weight will not be an issue as I am car camping. I know people are going to dislike the tarp option but that is all I have for now and the wind always blows where I'm going. (Bear canyon lake, AZ)
    Anyway any thoughts will help. I have a lot of nights in my hammock but almost all of them are indoors so I want to make sure this outdoor overnighter goes well. Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    I will go ahead and tell you right now your probably better with the 12x12 tarp if there is any chance at all of rain. Sounds like youll have fun up there in the ponderosas.

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    If you don't already have the air mattress, get the CCF blue pad. The air mattress, with no insulation will still transfer heat from you to the air beneath the hammock, I think.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I agree with the air mattress. I tried one (no insulation inside it), air mats and was extreamly chilly that night. (I think the temps were like 50ish that night) and no wind. I wont be ever using an air mat again. Now if your air mat has some insulation in it, those will keep you warmer.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    This is the sleeping pad http://www.rei.com/product/778153 with a 6.4 R-value. I think it should be fine as I have used it in tents snow camping with the same bag I'm taking this time and stayed plenty warm. I agree with the larger tarp. I was just hoping to use what I had on hand (1 9x9 and 1 10x20) but I think I will spend the 10 bucks on a larger tarp. Eventually I need to get a real tarp but I'm hoping to experiment with different sizes on cheap tarps so I can learn what I like and what works for me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Unless the weather forecast changes significantly, you should be fine with that setup. Enjoy your first hang! BTW, are you going up with Te-wa on the Bear Canyon trip?

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    This is the sleeping pad http://www.rei.com/product/778153 with a 6.4 R-value. I think it should be fine as I have used it in tents snow camping with the same bag I'm taking this time and stayed plenty warm. I agree with the larger tarp. I was just hoping to use what I had on hand (1 9x9 and 1 10x20) but I think I will spend the 10 bucks on a larger tarp. Eventually I need to get a real tarp but I'm hoping to experiment with different sizes on cheap tarps so I can learn what I like and what works for me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by drewboy View Post
    Unless the weather forecast changes significantly, you should be fine with that setup. Enjoy your first hang! BTW, are you going up with Te-wa on the Bear Canyon trip?
    No, I am going with a group of guys from church for an overnighter.

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    6 lbs 11 oz!!!!! Weighs more than my hammock, suspension, tarp, and sleeping bag combined. I'll stick to my blue pad. I can add a second one, if I'm out below 20F.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 silnylon
    Insulation
    CCF, Exped Synmat
    Suspension
    Buckles/carabiners
    Looks good. Here are some things to evaluate:

1. The air mattress would annoy me in a hammock. I'd rather sleep on my 3/4 length blue CCF pad.

2. Do a test setup in the backyard. It's no fun to discover you don't have a piece of equipment (guylines, suspension, etc.) or know exactly how you're going to rig your tarp when the light is fading fast.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I sometimes use a similar pad when car camping and sometimes my shoulders still get cold because they are the widest part of your body. They tend to press against the side of the hammock, compressing your insulation. My advice would be to get a blue pad and run it from side to side in the hammock right at the shoulder area, under your REI pad. It only needs to be 4' at most....just enough to wrap up around your shoulders. They are cheap and worth their weight in gold when needed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast