Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Jarbidge River UQ
    Suspension
    Becket/poly straps
    Images

First Hang - WV Newbie

Hi, everybody. I just finished my first night in a hammock and thought it a fitting finish to the adventure to make my first posting in the forum to introduce myself and say thanks. My adventure wasn’t exactly an adventure since it was only in my back yard, but it is really cold and wintery here in WV now, so it seemed smart to do my first hang in a safe place to try some things out that I have learned while lurking here.

I’ve done quite a bit of camping and hiking, mostly in connection with hunting and backpacking in a younger life, but have never used a hammock before. Last night was my first overnight hang. We recently had two huge snow storms here in WV and still have lots of snow on the ground. The temperature was 24* F when I crawled out of my HH Expedition and headed back inside to warm my cold feet at 5:30 this morning. Other than my feet getting cold about 4:30, my set up worked great. I was toasty with several layers of clothing (poly/fleece/wool/down vest), a blue CCF pad (the wide ones from Wal-Mart), a 1/8“ poly 3x6 ft. auto carpet, a square piece of 1/4“ poly carpet pad and my old down/fiberfill combo bag. The down in the bag is pretty much shot, but the fiberfill kept my backside nice and warm. I’m still working on my cold weather set up and look forward to getting it just right with the great information that is available on this forum.

With that thought, I must say that my successful first hang would not have been possible were it not for the great information I have found here. Thanks to all of you have posted such great information, tutorials, and videos. Because of you I have been able to take my new HH and upgrade it with Amsteel 7/64 suspension and MSHs, make a top cover with some old parachute cloth that helped keep the inside of my hammock above 40* last night, made several whoopie slings, learned a bunch of new knots, and have found a DIY heaven. I love DIY projects - find they are good for the mind and spirit, not to mention the check book.

I look forward to learning so much more and eventually maybe being able to post information that might help other newbies like me.

Looks like a great community here. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and for letting me play.

Hammock
    SB Pro
    Tarp
    12 X 12 Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Molly Mac Insultex
    Suspension
    rings & webbing
    Welcome neighbor. I'm relatively new here too, but I'm sure not prepped to give a winter hang a try. My hat's off to you.

We recently had two huge snow storms here in WV and still have lots of snow on the ground.
    I see you have a penchant for understatement!
    montani semper liberi

I wish I had a cabin on the top of some big hill
    I'd build a fire every evening and listen to the whipporwill
    Eat my food out of a garden and drink my whiskey from a still

Darrell Scott I Wish

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    That's funny. It was cold and wintery in my back yard, too - almost the same temp here in Frankford. Go figure. I didn't sleep in a hammock, though (but have several times in the past week or so). You're brave with the wind blowing - hope you've got a sheltered spot to hang. It's good to work out a system of insulation under you - you'll appreciate at least a thin layer on cool summer nights in the Cranberry. Welcome! Give a shout if you want to compare notes or need some DIY materials. I made some of my first prototypes with a bunch of ripstop someone from Hillsboro gave me, and I need to pay it forward.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Oops. I confused Falling Waters with Falling Spring (a suburb of greater Renick) - only 7 miles from here, so you're not as close as I thought. The good news is that you're so close to South Mountain and Gathland State Park. Watch for the MAHHA group hangs there, a great way to meet other hangers and see different hammocks. The next one is April 16-18th. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=14178
    The offer of info and materials still stands.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Watch for the MAHHA group hangs there, a great way to meet other hangers and see different hammocks. The next one is April 16-18th. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=14178
    Another WV hanger saying hi! Wow, you've certainly done it up right. What a great first hang. My first one was in my backyard too, but not at that temp. Congrats.

WV is right. You are perfectly positioned to come to the MAHHA in the spring! Great way to meet many of the people who post here. U-all come!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    DIY-gathered end, dbl, ripstop
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Jarbidge River UQ
    Suspension
    Becket/poly straps
    Images
    Thanks for the info about the April 16-18 MAHHA - that's very close. I've put it on my calendar and look forward to meeting everybody. I'm going to try to get my son to come along. He's the one who got me back into things this summer with a hike on the Laurel Highlands Trail in PA. I haven't introduced him to the HH yet, but plan to in the next couple of weeks.

And thanks for the offer to compare notes and materials for DIY projects. I think my first "big" project will involve making a larger tarp and/or an undercover for my HH. My old parachute cloth won't work for the tarp, but it might do for an undercover.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome. Hope to see you one of these days soon.

(Hope I'm posting/replying correctly. Not exactly sure of what I'm doing just yet.)

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Welcome to HF, Seleggs!

There sure is a lot of info here at HF, but it's a lot of fun learning and trying things out for yourself. diy is very rewarding when things function nicely!

Glad to have you with us

Hammock
    DIY-gathered end, dbl, ripstop
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Jarbidge River UQ
    Suspension
    Becket/poly straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkolady View Post
    Welcome to HF, Seleggs!

There sure is a lot of info here at HF, but it's a lot of fun learning and trying things out for yourself. diy is very rewarding when things function nicely!

Glad to have you with us
    Thanks for the welcome. And there is an encyclopedia of info here! It's a bit mind boggling at this point. The deeper I dig the more I find.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A Whoooo Buddy Welcome SeLeggs!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven