zpks bivy (fav DH DUL)
    Tarp
    zpacks pocket tarp
    Insulation
    ugq tq-wm ultralit
    Suspension
    ground
    Images
    I can't wait. I'm changing the oil and packing the two wheeler today and most liking leave tomorrow morning to slip out between the wet and cold weather. I haven't decided where ill spend wed and Thursday nights. I thought maybe the panhandle one night and get close Thursday just in case Friday is wet I wouldnt have far travel. How about some ideas from the locals

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    How neat that Shug posted a new video this morning on the very thing I was experimenting with this weekend. Since Tim was starting to get worried a bit about the cold, and we don't have UQs as part of our setup, I tried putting the sleeping bag outside the hammock thinking the bottom would not compress as much and therefore would provide more warmth.

We ordered a couple of really cheap 15 degree sleeping bags from Walmart that I expect to be delivered tomorrow (only $20 apiece). I'm planning to use those on the outside of the bag and either my summer weight liner inside or maybe just my sleep silk.

Is it time to hang yet?

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by terri View Post
    How neat that Shug posted a new video this morning on the very thing I was experimenting with this weekend. Since Tim was starting to get worried a bit about the cold, and we don't have UQs as part of our setup, I tried putting the sleeping bag outside the hammock thinking the bottom would not compress as much and therefore would provide more warmth.

We ordered a couple of really cheap 15 degree sleeping bags from Walmart that I expect to be delivered tomorrow (only $20 apiece). I'm planning to use those on the outside of the bag and either my summer weight liner inside or maybe just my sleep silk.

Is it time to hang yet?
    Terri one of the things I have done with good results, in our milder Florida temps... Use a CCF Pad inside the hammock, then the sleeping bag you crawl into on top of that. The pad provides an insulation barrier.
    This method gets me into the 40's* when sleeping. I'll bring along my pads in case you want to give it a try. I now have a 3 Season 3/4 legnth UQ. The pads I'll now use when the UQ is too warm.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    Terri one of the things I have done with good results, in our milder Florida temps... Use a CCF Pad inside the hammock, then the sleeping bag you crawl into on top of that. The pad provides an insulation barrier.
    This method gets me into the 40's* when sleeping. I'll bring along my pads in case you want to give it a try. I now have a 3 Season 3/4 legnth UQ. The pads I'll now use when the UQ is too warm.
    Thanks! I'll give it a try. To be honest we never really planned on camping much in the heart of winter. With the milder weather we have here 10 months out of the year, I figured I'd never need anything more than a summer weight sleeping bag and a sleep silk.

I'd like to see if our pea pods work out as well. If it does, I think we could be good to go camping year round here in FL.

I know there was some talk about backpacking the Florida Trail along the Suwannee River. I've been wanting to Kayak the Upper Suwannee for some time, so I'll be wanting to take a peek at those maps too!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    I've gotten down to 27 degrees using a 20 degree bag with a air mattress blown with a little air for bottom insulation. Woke up with really cold feet (just had 1 pair of socks on)but the rest of me was good.Gonna bring my 20 degree bag this weekend for that just in case factor.

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks!...I know there was some talk about backpacking the Florida Trail along the Suwannee River. I've been wanting to Kayak the Upper Suwannee for some time, so I'll be wanting to take a peek at those maps too!
    I suspect lots of upcoming planned trips once the larger groups spends the long weekend hanging out with one another.

Hammock
    BMBH/WBBB 1.7db
    Tarp
    11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    MtWash3/Sierra Sni
    Suspension
    w.s./straps/marlin
    I know there was some talk about backpacking the Florida Trail along the Suwannee River. I've been wanting to Kayak the Upper Suwannee for some time, so I'll be wanting to take a peek at those maps too![/QUOTE]

Hey Terri, I set off on the Suwannee hike in White Springs, which is a popular starting point for canoes and kayaks.
    While I was paying for the parking the Ranger stated that the upper part of the river is impassable due to the lack of rainfall. He had a board in the station that showed the river is currently at 48ft. He said the lowest it has been is 47ft.
    Looking at the river from the trail I could see there would be quite some porting over the limestone bottom. However, further down river more creeks flowed into the Suwannee making it very passable, but it was still low.
    I ended at Gibson Park, which also has a nice boat ramp and free parking overnight.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Looking for an OES
    Insulation
    Kelty 20° down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Wish I could make this one. Hoping there's another group hang later in the year.

Have fun guys and take tons of pics!

Hammock
    Blackbird Double Layer 1.0
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3 Season Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Terri, I am bringing along an extra 3/4 UQ that I am trying to sell. You are most welcome to give it a try if things cool off too much. I am kind of a weeney when it comes to cold nights, so I bought a full length UQ to use instead. I think we may drop down to the low 30's Saturday night.

A paddle down the Suwannee sounds great. I know they have the huts along the way, but are we allowed to hang as well? ANother river to keep in mind is the Oklawaha just outside the Ocala NF. Nice quiet paddle with campsites along the way. About a 20 mile paddle, if I remember.

I'm sure there will be lots of talk about future trips coming out of this weekend. I can't wait.

edhess

Thanks! I'll give it a try. To be honest we never really planned on camping much in the heart of winter. With the milder weather we have here 10 months out of the year, I figured I'd never need anything more than a summer weight sleeping bag and a sleep silk.

I'd like to see if our pea pods work out as well. If it does, I think we could be good to go camping year round here in FL.

I know there was some talk about backpacking the Florida Trail along the Suwannee River. I've been wanting to Kayak the Upper Suwannee for some time, so I'll be wanting to take a peek at those maps too!

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by edhess View Post
    Terri, I am bringing along an extra 3/4 UQ that I am trying to sell.
    edhess
    Ed do you have a price tag on that yet?
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

• + New Posts
  • Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast