Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overwhelmed!

Overwhelmed!

I have been lurking awhile because I really want to take up this hobby but it is so expensive! So I have been piecing together this and that but I feel like I almost need a special Dictionary to figure out what I need and how to do actually get suspended in the air. It would be ideal to just purchase a whole set up and go but I am a lowly first grade teacher with teens so...I get on here to try and figure out what to get next and look a the for sale forum but I don't know what a cinch buckle whoopie dutch WWBB.o1 0deg thingy bob is and if I need it if I could even afford it and just log off again. LOL Everyone on here is really nice though and one day I will be rolling my eyes at the Noobs who are so lost to the obvious!

Hammock
    Dream hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Nub'a
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by JameyJack View Post
    but I don't know what a cinch buckle whoopie dutch WWBB.o1 0deg thingy bob is
    Dutch is a cottage merchant that is a member
    This is His website http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/cott...-all-products/

He sells a lot of stuff that makes life Ezer

Wbbb is warbonnet blackbird. Warbonnet is the brand name. Blackbird is one of three hammocks they sell a d is very popular on the forums.

Cinch buckles and whoopies are parts of different suspensions. Whoopies are adjustable ropes that don't need knots. Cinch buckles go with a tree strap system. They are heaveyer then whoopies but people like them.
    Pm me for any specific question, but I'm sure up will get plenty of posts in this thread anyway

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Go to Youtube and type in Shug Hammock Essentials, grab your daughter and a cup of coffee, get comfy and enjoy the show and the enlightenment.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Somewhere on here is a thread about all the different hammock acronyms. Maybe someone can post a link to it.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Also, one of the best things you could do is find a group hang in your area and go for a day or the whole weekend (you can camp in a tent if you need to) so that you can see all of the different types of rigs that people have. Most of the people will be glad to answer questions, let you try out their equipment, give you some friendly advice, etc. It's a great way to see what everyone is talking about and ask the experts.

Shugs videos are a treasure too because he gets lots of good information out AND he's a hoot while he's doing it

Also, get a copy of The Ultimate Hang if possible.

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    WB Cinch buckles
    Images
    Hennessy hammocks has a big sale on demo's and repaired hammocks in October. Go to their website and sign up for their mailings to Get notified.

Hennessy's are a good way to get started, I think. I like my Hennessy expedition classic but at 6 foot, I should have purchased the explorer deluxe. I've learned being at the edge for maximum height means to go to the longer size.

I've been saving up for a new longer hammock. Most likely, I'll get a war bonnet blackbird XLC (wbbb XLC) or one of PapaSmurf's dream Hammocks thunderbird or danger bird models

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Depending on what you want to use the hammock for, you can get started very inexpensively. The users on this forum tend towards expensive and fancy because there are benefits (comfort/low-weight/low-price; pick two ) .

If you just want to hang in good weather and don't want to sleep overnight or anything then just buy whatever hammock sounds good and is in your price range. I use a ENO, they are $50-60 and are very durable. you can definitely get cheaper, but you can get a lot more expensive too.

If you are good with a sewing machine or have one and willing to practice you can make your own. Even cheaper you can just grab a table cloth and whip the ends (a fancy name for wrapping the ends of a bunch of time with rope) and be done.

If you want to sleep overnight or take it camping you need some under insulation and over insulation just like when camping. You can use a cheap pad and a sleeping bag for under $30, but you can also go much more expensive if you want.

There is this very helpful thread about creating a set for camping for under $200, it might help a lot: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=80052

Hammock
    DH Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    Somewhere on here is a thread about all the different hammock acronyms. Maybe someone can post a link to it.
    Here ya go. Hammock Acronyms
    Expect the Best,
    Prepare for the Worst
    Attributed to some poor guy who ran into Murphy,
    Too many times

I will definately check these out!

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps