Tarp
    Hammockgear Cuben
    Insulation
    UKhammocks UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Webbing
    Images
    Canīt wait to see pictures of it!
    When and where is it possible to buy one of those?
    No longer with a great "Yukon Yak Fever"

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

My pictures:My Picasa-album

My paracord-webshop:Webshop
    Sorry dudes, only in Swedish (so far).

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

Stavros

I can put it up this afternoon and snap some quick shots if you want or you can wait until we get back from next weeks trip and see it on video contrasted with the 1st gen Dirigible. From a distance there is no discernable difference-up close and personal and one will see quite a few changes. The changes of course gleened from almost a month of nights in the first encarnation.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0DL
    Tarp
    Hammockgear Cuben
    Insulation
    UKhammocks UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Webbing
    Images
    I can wait until your back from the trip and watch it on vid.

Who makes them and is it possible to buy one yet?
    No longer with a great "Yukon Yak Fever"

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

My pictures:My Picasa-album

My paracord-webshop:Webshop
    Sorry dudes, only in Swedish (so far).

Cool stuff guys, looking forward to pics and video of gen 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    I can wait until your back from the trip and watch it on vid.

Who makes them and is it possible to buy one yet?
    Medicine Man and Hang-N-Out make them and they are still testing them. They are on there second prototype.

Jeremy

Hammock
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    TheCoyote is mostly right. Hangnout designed the Dirigible and the Graf and built them. I'm just the lucky guy who has gotten to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    TheCoyote is mostly right. Hangnout designed the Dirigible and the Graf and built them. I'm just the lucky guy who has gotten to use them.
    Mostley right is better than wrong Haha. I was just thinking of how much warmth it would add to say a Dangerbird with the Graf depoyed and the overcover on hammock deployed. Man, I bet that would add some heat lol.

Jeremy

Hammock
    Happy-Medium UL
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    EE Revolt 30·
    Suspension
    Myerstech Becket

Update

Bump for an update!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Per your request for an update.
    We're just now getting to the the HNO series of socks in some cold temps. This past weekend we hit 26F in them.
    As mentioned in this thread and others, these socks are still experimental-that said HNO (Hangnout) has gotten enough info to now be able to offer yet another sock that is much more affordable than the cuben models and still have most of the features but as you might guess a weight penalty.

I'm now over 35 nights in this series of socks, add in another 10 nights in the MacIX sock and I have formed an opionion

Overall the advantages outweigh the negatives and for me by a long shot. The only serious negative is condensation. This would be expected with almost any sock-even a canvas sock where you have a completely breathable material but where under certain environmental conditions the warm moisture from you will hit a much cooler surface before it can all pass through. The breathable cuben has a much lower transfer weight than canvas, duh, but infinitely better than sil-nylon or regular cuben. So a compromise is made in the material choice and at the same time one has to weigh in the weight savings of carrying a tarp (if using a breathable sock like Macs or Warbonnets) and suddenly the temps get above freezing and you're dealing with rain. What this means can mean is choosing a sock based on the expected ambient temps and how much that can vary for your intended location. For example you might be hiking where you absolutely know the temps are going to be 10F as a high for the day with absolutely no chance of rain, or you might be hiking in the southeast in the Smokies where you begin your hike at 42F and before nightfall it's 35, while sleeping it dips into the upper 20s but before waking a warm front has moved in and suddenly its 48F. In the later case with a completely breathable sock, again like Macs or Warbonnets, you'd also need to carry a tarp. In the HNO series of
    waterproof breathable cuben socks you'd be 'covered' over all those extremes of weather without carrying a separate tarp but you will experience some condensation.
    How much condensation is the question and over the last few hikes we've discovered that some old facts still apply, more on those in a bit.
    Have you ever been hiking on a long weekend where it was cold-warm-hot-cool etc. and seen hikers in the mid-afternoon with their sleeping bags splayed out and sunning? Even in the best ventilated tents moisture will slowly build up in down sleeping bags (even in synthetic but to a lesser degree), so thru-hikers and long section hikers will periodically dry them out via the sun (and kill a lot of bacteria at the same time via uv rays). Why mention this, because even our down quilts in hammocks in socks or not will still take on a bit of the watery us!

Now on to some of the facts of old we are re-discovering. Remember the single wall tents? Yes they are still used by the alpinists. If you ever had one you might remember CPC=contact point condensation. This is something that we've just discovered in the Dirigible (and not the Graf yet and more on that too in a bit). This also brings into light another variable in the choosing of a sock-especially a sock like
    the Dirigible or Graf; and that is the size of the hammock in proportion to the inside
    of the sock and the consequent amount of room for quilts inside, because Poof discovered that where her underquilt contacted the cuben condensation occurred. I didn't experience this in the Graf (and note the Graf has much less waterproof/breathable cuben in its construction). The reason is because the Dirigible has less volume in the bottom for underquilts than the Graf.

On the last day of this past weekends hike there was a visible and measurable of condensate in the bottom of the sock she was in...probably a teaspoonful and a half that we could see pooled in the bottom of the sock-doesnt sound like much but if that is what we could see then we know there was more throughout the system.

Now here are some thoughts. It was the last night of a multiday hike and after 3 nights in the system we know moisture was in the UQ and TQ we couldnt see-enough to prevent them from insulating the user? No, still had lots of loft
    and you could feel the moisture on the outer surface of them but not on the inner surface-so moisture transport was still occurring driven by body temp and the evaporative process; a situation where if we were on a longer hike and had a sunny day out in the open we'd spread everything out like the thru-hikers and let it all
    dry out.
    I on the other hand had no visible condensation. In effect Poof and I were both in single wall tents almost begging for condensation (I say almost because each sock does have the panels of breathable material) which brings up another variable that has been mentioned before=wet breathers. Some of us just put out more moisture than others. That and also knowing that my underquilt did not contact the inner surface of the sock.

Lots of variables. Here is another one to consider-hammock size. We learned that if the hammock chosen to go into the sock is too long (Poof's hammock was) then that changes the amount of volume inside the sock for underquilts. So on our next round Poof will be subbing out the longer hammock for a shorter one an this should prevent the contact condensate in our 'single wall tents'.

Condensation was something we've all been waiting for. There are ways to manage it even in a closed system and as it gets colder and colder it will manifest in different ways and we will experiment with different ways to deal with it.

Too many words?

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Excellent update! Thanks for updating.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Thanks Mr.Mike, I could have gone on but didn't want to bore.

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast