how much are they asking?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/SB
    Images
    I started cutting today! Having never done diy, the first cut was terrifying! So far the zipper & shock cord have been removed. I plan on removing the hood & getting some more down for the bag.

Question is: How much down to get? I'm trying to make this an actual 20° bag. I read there's approx 7.5oz of down (no idea of fill power though), would another 6oz do the trick, or is that overkill?

Wilderness Logics seems the cheapest for 850 goose down, but is there any cheaper? I'm fine with duck down as well.

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Likeapuma View Post
    I started cutting today! Having never done diy, the first cut was terrifying! So far the zipper & shock cord have been removed. I plan on removing the hood & getting some more down for the bag.

Question is: How much down to get? I'm trying to make this an actual 20° bag. I read there's approx 7.5oz of down (no idea of fill power though), would another 6oz do the trick, or is that overkill?

Wilderness Logics seems the cheapest for 850 goose down, but is there any cheaper? I'm fine with duck down as well.
    I think the limiting factor here is the baffle size not so much the amount of down. I don't think adding more down to this bag is going to significantly alter the comfortable temperature rating. Adding more down should eliminate cold spots by preventing all the down from migrating to the sides.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    I've been to two walmarts and they're re-doing their sleeping bag sections. I can't find the down bags anymore, and didn't find any in the clearance section either. Was hoping to catch one on sale, but apparently the rest of the world beat me to it! Buy em' if you can find em' !

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    They are at my local store clearanced to I think 65. There have only ever been 2 there, they are both now on a little clearance section near the camping stuff marked down to the 65. I would have picked one up, but just blew all my fun money on a ULA pack.

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps + DutchGear
    Quick question for those of you who made this mod:
    Did you cut the bag into a "quasi rectangle", changing the shape of the bag, or did you make your TQ with a taper ( bottom being a bit narrower than the top ) ??
    It looks like, if I simply open the bag, the foot end is narrower than the head end. Is this the shape you used, or did you square it up before sewing it?
    Any challenges with making it tapered?
    What about adding a couple of darts on each side, and one on each end?
    Would this help it snug up under the hammy better?

Thanks for all the great insights so far!!
    I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, make sure I stay here.

When I see lovers' names carved into a tree, I don't think it's cute. I think it's strange how so many people take knives on a date.

Formerly known as 'Brad49426'.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Fiber de Cuban
    Insulation
    DIY or Wild.Logics
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    I didn't attempt to change the shape. Wider at the shoulder, narrower at the feet, whats not to love.
    I just cut off the hood, and cut down the center of the foot box, where the zipper started, to about the center of the bottom panel where it would lay almost flat. A little natural curve is good for hanging it.

> note: in the pic, the tabs on the side were removed in lieu of a full channel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps + DutchGear
    Southern9---
    Thats what I was thinking of as well.
    Did you find that with this simple mod it hangs perfectly fine under the hammock?
    Also, what temps do you believe this will keep you warm at (without any additional under insulation)?

Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by southern9 View Post
    I didn't attempt to change the shape. Wider at the shoulder, narrower at the feet, whats not to love.
    I just cut off the hood, and cut down the center of the foot box, where the zipper started, to about the center of the bottom panel where it would lay almost flat. A little natural curve is good for hanging it.

> note: in the pic, the tabs on the side were removed in lieu of a full channel.

When I see lovers' names carved into a tree, I don't think it's cute. I think it's strange how so many people take knives on a date.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Fiber de Cuban
    Insulation
    DIY or Wild.Logics
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    With a full channel on each of the 4 sides and shock cord run thru, it hangs perfectly well, no gaps, no fuss. I had mine to 33 degrees. I did have the thin breathable 2QZQ under quilt protector around the bottom too.
    I was very warm.

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps + DutchGear
    Very good intel, Southern9...Thanks!!
    I will be making this mod starting tomorrow, and try it as soon as I can. It is supposed to be right around 30* F overnight here the next 4 days, so it will be a good test.

Quote Originally Posted by southern9 View Post
    With a full channel on each of the 4 sides and shock cord run thru, it hangs perfectly well, no gaps, no fuss. I had mine to 33 degrees. I did have the thin breathable 2QZQ under quilt protector around the bottom too.
    I was very warm.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast