Hammock
    eno double nest, 12'r, 90x132"r
    Tarp
    kelty noah 12 :D
    Insulation
    DIY down and VB
    Suspension
    cinch/whoopie

Question ENO ember-reflectix-proper design....

ok so everybody is familiar with the shoddy eno under quilt thing.

what if you made a floating pea pod sarcophagus type design out of reflectix based on that "thing"
    to kind of forgo the whole uq thing, no sleeping on pads etc. and dont tell me the hennessey super shelter. nahh, im talking like a hanging reflective box!

mind you this is for serious cold. but i wanted to see some scribbled/paint/adobe/CAD designs you guys can come up with!
    Last edited by ahhhgladius; 04-10-2013 at 11:56.
    Glory to the Fallen, Honor to the Lost. Faith to the Missing. Carry on Forever.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY down and VB
    Suspension
    cinch/whoopie
    i know it sounds silly, but anyone?

Hammock
    Grand Trunk ATHH
    Tarp
    Sky Tent
    Insulation
    ccf pad
    Suspension
    Byer micro ropes
    I was kind of throwing around an idea sort of along those lines at one point. 3 pieces of reflectix set up in a triangle like an emergency "tube tent", maybe with velcro along one seam so it would lay flat and roll up like a bulky CCF pad. Hook it over the ridgeline for a windproof reflective hammock hotbox. Serious condensation issues though I would imagine. Never got around to trying it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY down and VB
    Suspension
    cinch/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by BWCAW hanger View Post
    I was kind of throwing around an idea sort of along those lines at one point. 3 pieces of reflectix set up in a triangle like an emergency "tube tent", maybe with velcro along one seam so it would lay flat and roll up like a bulky CCF pad. Hook it over the ridgeline for a windproof reflective hammock hotbox. Serious condensation issues though I would imagine. Never got around to trying it.
    with the ends being so open though i don't think you'd really have those issues

Jergysion

theres a swiss company that make a huge poncho that can be used for that, on bushcraft theres a link, you can wear it as a poncho and then convert it to a sack to go around your hammock. sorry I dont have the link but theres a lady that sleeps in one with her hammock in 0 degree weather.hopew this helps.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner; Chameleon
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Sounds like an interesting idea. I think you would loose some of the efficiency with it hung over the ridgeline, would work better if held around 2 inches away from the radiant source (you), though ventilation would then become a bigger issue... maybe if it were perforated (maybe with punch).

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    For serious cold, you absolutely have to consider condensation. If you don't you could be building yourself an ice box.

Check out the Frozen Butt hang thread and see what those guys are doing. Some are using a breathable, double layer, cotton canvas hammock sock. The condensation turns to frost between the layers and can be easily knocked loose falling out of the sock.

Kudos on thinking outside the normal conventions. It's what keeps hammock camping moving forward.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Baby Orca IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    This isn't exactly what you're describing, since it doesn't completely encircle you, but it's what I created a couple of years ago:

Picture an SPE, except using Reflectix. It's used a little bit differently, as this is suspended under you in a fashion similar to an underquilt. You could almost call it a stiff underquilt. Like an SPE, it has a bottom and two sides. It's hinged at the shoulders and hips for better conformance to your body. I used aluminum tape for securing all the seams. Mine is full-length, going from the top of my head, to the tips of my toes.

I used this in conjunction with an IX Baby Orca underquilt for when I was anticipating temps lower than 40*. This combo, along with extra clothing I had along, got me down to the mid-20's. My buddies (ground dwellers) were sure I must have been freezing, but I wasn't.

The Reflectix is good about reflecting your body heat back at you. I could definitely feel the difference. The only drawback is that it's bulky to carry.
    ol' daddy

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY down and VB
    Suspension
    cinch/whoopie
    im going to be building one soon. got good ole june bug dawn to help

• + New Posts