Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Guys you are making this toilet thing too hard... Rent a porta John... Be protected from the wind and rain and snow while using it... Put it on a pick up, use it, return it... $50-75...no issue ...The JRB raffle will cover it and the one who uses their truck will get cash repayment at the raffle.

Real issue is... First... Does the head ranger support us in the group camp with the preveously assumed water and toilet caviats?

Pan
    I forgot you said you would cover the cost of a Port-a-jon. I was just doing some back up research anyway. I knew we could take care of that issue.
    Note that in the Ranger's email that she said she would check on the company that supplies GHSP w/ Port-a-jons. She may get us a good deal... delivered & picked up.

I'm not sure I understand what you were asking when you said "Real issue is... First... Does the head ranger support us in the group camp with the preveously assumed water and toilet caviats?"

Ranger Holland's above email was sent after talking it over w/ the head Ranger & he's good w/ it.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Alright, I talked to Slowhike & Here’s what we have:

The park people are allowing us to use the Group Campground which is behind the little camp store across from “Our” parking lot.
    They are arranging for us to have a Privy (Aka Port-a-Potty). OR we can get our own (that seems like more work to me).
    The cost will be about $2.63 per person based on 6 people per site / $15.75 per site cost. “Normally, groups are confined to a smaller space due to other campers in the numbered sites, however, you will be able to spread out quite a bit.”
    Firewood will be available for purchase, [$4 per bundle (normally 9-12 sticks of seasoned locust) and you are welcome to bring your own in as well.] & we can gather our own “As for firewood, anything that is down is fair game, although with the snow that we have had so far, don't expect it to be dry.”
    Water is available: There is potable water available at the park office during regular business hours - generally 8-4:30 unless the ranger on duty is out on patrol or at lunch. I will likely be getting my water at the first stream crossing on the way to the Wise, but that is just me, & I have walked further for water on the AT. I may even bring in a 3-gallon jug of water, but that may freeze in the Jeep. I’ll cover it with insulation.
    We have been asked to not use the dumpster if it is there, Trash cans MAY be there, but if not: take your trash to your car please.
    There is an amphitheater nearby for use as a gathering point “Out of the weather” but we have been asked to not cook there. I see no problem with that.
    There will be picnic tables to enhance the dining experience.
    This site is nearly at the road, but there is little to no traffic, after all who would be crazy enough to go camping in the winter?
    There will be the same hiking opportunity as if 1.5 miles away at the Wise shelter & on Friday I will either be doing my planned trip to the Scales or maybe even go to the top of Mt Rogers.
    Arial view of the campground shows a lot of trees, AND we will be to the lee of a large hill.
    A flyer with a list of the park rules can be downloaded at http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_pa...s/graysonh.pdf
    Park weather can be found at
    http://weather.graysonfriends.org/
    A slide show of the park (camera atop the park HQ building) is somewhere in this form, I just can’t find it, sigh!

Additional thoughts from ME:
    Bringing a folding chair will be easier.
    Though I love my pulk & have worked hard on it, not having to bring it will leave more room in my car for extra food & comfort items.
    This will not be quite the “wilderness experience” as at the Wise, but as we will likely be the only ones there it will be close enough.
    The park service has worked VERY HARD to accommodate us & I for one very very much appreciate this opportunity!

To me, it looks like we have a new home. What say you all?
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    these developments sound good to me.
    we are in the park- sleeping in the "woods"- albeit not the wilderness feel as doctari said.
    however, with trail access, this sounds like a win/win, and is the closest thing to the "original".

+1

*and thanks to everyone who worked so hard with the Forest Service (+1 to what JJ said below) - most notably as far as i can tell slowhike and doctari leading the charge- and bugman for offering up private land.
    Last edited by rip waverly; 12-21-2010 at 22:25. Reason: add more info
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    One thing to keep in mind...this is a great opportunity to start building a relationship with the Forest Service. Many HF members have talked about the need become involved in educating policy makers on the LNT benefits of hammocking, so that we can positively affect the future policy re: hammocks (or hopefully convince them that there's no need for a FS-wide policy). This is a great way to engage the FS on a personal level and start building a relationship that could pay dividends in the future, both for us and the FS.

We've talked about the need...now it's time to put deeds behind our words. I wish I could attend this one, but since I can't...I'll simply encourage you all to accept the Rangers' offer and build something very positive from what looked at first like a setback.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    +1 for the new "home". Glad to hear a reasonable solution is amongst us. Kudos to the park staff for working with us. We are a passionate group with great intentions just as they are.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yep, the Park Rangers have been very gracious in this offer. The few guide lines things they have pointed out are easy enough to understand the reasoning for & are no problem to respect.

If they are not able to find suitable metal trash cans before the trip, simply keeping trash bags in the vehicles will work just fine to keep any mice out of it.

It will be easy enough for a few folks to bring fire wood & save having to buy it or even gather it from the snow.

I'm in full agreement w/ what Jeff said about this being a great opportunity to build respectful relationships with the people working to take care of our forests & parks.
    A lot of folks, including those who work in places like this, simply haven't seen the development of hammock camping & how environmentally friendly they can be, so I'm excited about a few new folks seeing how great hammocks are, even in the winter.

I know we have enjoyed being able to to do a short backpacking hike to get away from the cars & have a better feel for the wilderness, but as you can see, having a few dependable details for a group of any size becomes of great importance, especially in the winter.

So unless we have a number of folks in this "HF Annual Hang" group that feel strongly that we need something different, I'll suggest that by no later than Thurs, Dec 23, we let the GHSP Rangers know that we are good to go on the group site.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx FL
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Question how far of a hike is it from the campsite to to the top of Mt Rogers ?

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    Question how far of a hike is it from the campsite to to the top of Mt Rogers ?
    I don't know what the mileage is right off, but I'd guess close to 5 miles.
    You could make it a little shorter by driving back up to the parking area on the main park road, but you will still gain better than a thousand feet in elevation on that hike.
    If there is very much snow, don't forget to take that into account.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    This will be my year for this event. I have been following the developments on the planning of this event with great interest. I tried to make it last year but circumstances prevented me form doing so. So I have been anticipating this event all year long. I did not feel that it was appropriate for me to chime in till now. I want to thank all of you that have worked so hard to put this thing together. Especially Slow Hike, Doctari and of course the Park Rangers. As Just Jeff said I believe that we have a great opportunity and responsibility ahead of us. The Rangers have graciously opened the camp grounds for us and are working hard to accommodate us. You can bet that they will be watching us and will see for themselves first hand. That we are good stewards we are of our precious natural resources, and that hammock hanging does no harm. When the word spreads to other Park Rangers through out the country. This one event can very possibly help hammock hangers every where to be seen in a positive light and hopefully create more hanging opportunities for all. I whole heartily support this development. I am very much looking forward to meeting everyone.
    Terry

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Looking forward to meeting you too Poppabear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast