Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RAW View Post
    I guess I'm surprised to hear that there's still shoulder squeeze for someone your size. I thought the increased weight capacity would come with a revised design for a wider feel.
    With a lot of time in a lot of different hammocks under my butt, I've come to think that the first impression of "shoulder squeeze" in a bridge hammock is due less to "squeeze" per se, but the fact that the hammock fabric under the shoulders comes up the sides at a sharper angles. _more_ of the bottom part of the shoulder is in contact with the hammock and it feels different.

Now you can surely get shoulder squeeze proper, where the walls are pressing on the _sides_ of the shoulders, if the shoulders are width enough relative to the spreader bars.

You know when you're getting squeezed that's the voice of experience there...

You can come not to be bothered by the shoulder presence sensation, but shoulder squeeze is down right uncomfortable.

Grizz

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    <snip>..."shoulder squeeze" in a bridge hammock is due less to "squeeze" per se, but the fact that the hammock fabric under the shoulders comes up the sides at a sharper angles...<snip>
    I think this is probably a more accurate description of the issue. Hits the nail right on the head.

Thanks for the clarification, Griz.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    At least for me, the so-called "squeeze" is only an issue if I lay in a very unnatural sleep position. If your a side sleeper, which I am, I find it very comfortable.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RAW View Post
    I guess I'm surprised to hear that there's still shoulder squeeze for someone your size. I thought the increased weight capacity would come with a revised design for a wider feel.
    With a lot of time in a lot of different hammocks under my butt, I've come to think that the first impression of "shoulder squeeze" in a bridge hammock is due less to "squeeze" per se, but the fact that the hammock fabric under the shoulders comes up the sides at a sharper angles. _more_ of the bottom part of the shoulder is in contact with the hammock and it feels different...................................
    You can come not to be bothered by the shoulder presence sensation, but shoulder squeeze is down right uncomfortable.

Grizz
    That is pretty much the conclusion I came to after I tried a second one. With my first use, I thought "shoulder squeeze" which ended up causing me to return it. I proved that to be a mistake, though, after I decided to try again and took my time on the second try. I also ended up deciding it was more a matter of feeling different than squeeze per se.

I think most folks, regardless of size, are going to get a first impression of shoulder squeeze the 1st time they lay in the BMBH flat on their back. Because the hammock has a curved shape, once you are in, and your shoulders sort of assume that shape. As though you have bad posture and your shoulders are somewhat curved forward. But I finally came to realize that, for me, this was not actually uncomfortable, just different. And in fact, if I just didn't try to have my arms by my side ( a way I would never sleep any way), the over all impression was one of total comfort. As long as I either had a pillow or at least was far enough to one end for my head to rest on the end caps a bit.

Not only that, but I soon realized that if I just shifted side ways just an inch or two, then only one shoulder was really even in contact with the hammock, so zero shoulder squeeze.

And of course, a wide pad helps. The BMBH is the king of hammocks for pad use, IMO.

Glad you are liking it, keep us posted. If it is not definitely my favorite hammock overall, it is at least tied for 1st place. It has a couple of positives that are pretty much unmatched, though some other hammocks have their strong points also.

Great ......my Blackbird v BMBH inner conflict just increased.

Nice mini review and pics.I must admit I have always thought this hammock looks sharp.

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Has anyone gone back and tried their old hammock after using a BMBH for a while?

I tried my Hennessy EUL a few months back and it felt like my whole body was being twisted. I never noticed this for the two years I used it prior to getting my BMBH. Just another case of a different sensation than what you are used to.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    With a lot of time in a lot of different hammocks under my butt, I've come to think that the first impression of "shoulder squeeze" in a bridge hammock is due less to "squeeze" per se, but the fact that the hammock fabric under the shoulders comes up the sides at a sharper angles. _more_ of the bottom part of the shoulder is in contact with the hammock and it feels different.

Now you can surely get shoulder squeeze proper, where the walls are pressing on the _sides_ of the shoulders, if the shoulders are width enough relative to the spreader bars.

You know when you're getting squeezed that's the voice of experience there...

Grizz
    Except for the fact that I have ever tried only 3 different hammocks (HH ULBA, HH Safari, Bridge), I agree.

The only hammock in which I have never experienced the "rounded shoulders" is the Safari which is just too big to feel confined in any way whatsoever.

When others would complain about the "shoulder squeeze" I was always confused since the Bridge feels, to me anyway, the same as the HH ULBA in the shoulder area. Yet I have never heard anybody complain of shoulder squeeze in the ULBA.

So I think you have accurately described what is happening.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Except for the fact that I have ever tried only 3 different hammocks (HH ULBA, HH Safari, Bridge), I agree.

The only hammock in which I have never experienced the "rounded shoulders" is the Safari which is just too big to feel confined in any way whatsoever.....
    That is the sho nuff truth! But, I also have never really "noticed" rounded shoulders- much less actual squeeze, with my HH UL Exp. At least certainly not with a diagonal lay. Can't say for sure about a midline approach. But I have never tried the smaller ULBP.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    DownMat 9
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    I field tested my new Exped Downmat 9 (not deluxe) this weekend with the BMBH, and I found that the setup got very wobbly. I suppose it's because the center of gravity got shifted upwards a few inches, and maybe also because the pad made the whole thing a little bit stiffer, instead of clinging to the body.

It wasn't a problem, I didn't fall out or anything. I just had to get used to the new way the hammock shifted when I shifted in it. Did you notice the same thing?
    - Tanstaafl.
    - Whoever said "No smoke without fire" never went camping.
    - It's just badass to have a yak.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Joz View Post
    Did you notice the same thing?
    Yes, I noticed the exact same thing when I was testing the BMBH + DownMat setup. However, it did get a bit better when I only used just enough air to inflate the DownMat to my liking instead of inflating it all the way.

Still takes a bit of getting used to, though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast