Tarp
    Homemade cuben
    Insulation
    Homemade synthetic
    Suspension
    Strap-biner-buckle
    Images

Good carabiner for ridgeline?

Made my first hammock tonight following Jeff's excellent instructions. I'm deeply in love.

One thing I never liked about my HH is that the ridgeline kept it from being a really functional chair. So, on this one, I added a 550 ridgeline with a carabiner at the foot.

I really like this set-up, but I'm using a carabiner of unknown and probably low rating. Can you guys recommend some good ones that are as small and light as possible that will still be good for the 200-300 lbs I'm expecting on the ridgeline?

Also, how good is 550 for the ridgeline? It seems strong, but maybe a bit stretchy. Will it stretch and settle after a few uses or should I use something else?

Thanks a lot. I'll be posting pictures of the hammock in the next few days. There are still some things I want to finish up with it.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I've tried 550 for ridgeline and didn't like it. Definitely strong enough, but definitely too stretchy. I think it's kinda like climbing rope; it's supposed to stretch so it can handle larger dynamic loads. I've tried some small climbing-type cord too (I used some this past weekend) but had the same stretch problem. I ordered some low-stretch cord from the sailing supplier that Jeff lists on his site, but it hasn't arrived yet.

As far as a 'biner, I found some small, light ~200 lb. rated 'biners at my local outfitter. I think they were around $3 apiece. They've worked great so far.

If the ridge on your HH bugs you, you can always cut it and insert a 'biner on that one, too.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    as far as the binner, i would just go into a local outfitter (if you have one close by) & find an employee that climbs & knows the equipment.
    they should be able to show you the lightest binners w/ that weight bearing capacity.
    sometimes they will have a digital scale. that would be helpful. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Homemade 1.9oz
    Tarp
    Homemade cuben
    Insulation
    Homemade synthetic
    Suspension
    Strap-biner-buckle
    Images
    No, no, no. I would have to put pants on, get up, and go outside. What I need is for you guys to show me where on the internet I can get just the right thing. Then I can order on-line with no personal contact whatsoever, all while sitting on the couch in my pajamas eating Fritos.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    https://www.shop.treklightonline.com...0&categoryId=4

I thought about ordering these. Rated at 1100 lbs .8 oz

That is a great price for 2 good Carabiners. I bought a couple of climbing ones at $20 each.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    550 cord is designed to handle repeated stretching so it can absorb the opening shock of a parachute. It won't settle for a long time...or else a few jumps would make it useless and kill somebody. It'll work ok, but I found it too stretchy for a ridgeline, and it's a bit heavier than some other options. Just make the ridgeline shorter than you think you need and it'll stretch to the right length when you're inside.

550 is a king of multi-use, though - so I always carry two lengths...I forget the exact length, but it's the distance between the harness and chute that I cut off. 12' or so. But everything you can do with the inner core makes it worthy to be in my pack...I've sewn shoulder straps back on, sewn chairs from parachute sections and sticks (not while hiking, of course), used it for dental floss, etc.

So if you use it on your ridgeline, you can justify the extra weight by calling it emergency backup for **** near anything. It has to be real parachute cord, though - I bought some cheap stuff once that didn't have the real inner core.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Homemade 1.9oz
    Tarp
    Homemade cuben
    Insulation
    Homemade synthetic
    Suspension
    Strap-biner-buckle
    Images
    Sold, thank you very much. They even have them in a nice green. I went ahead and got the pair.

That's good to know about the 550. I'll switch to something else. I'm going to order some of that AirCore for my suspension lines, maybe I'll just use that it's so light. Jeff, as I said in e-mail, I'm going to go wild and try to pull some through some 550 sheath for purely vain, aesthetic reasons. Maybe I'll give that a go on the ridgeline first and see how it works out.

Thank you again for the link. At my desk eating hummus, but close enough

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Also, re 550 cord, Don't use REALLY OLD stuff. I managed to seperate the outer sheath the one time I used it for ridge line.
    Actually glad it happened, it had (the 550 cord) been my bear bag rope forever (7 - 10 years) & had been left out (weeks? Months?) before I tried it as ridge line. I don't think, in hindsight, I had that much stress on it, & it did'nt actually break, but the inner cords were taking ALL of the stress.

In answer to your question: I have found "key ring" biners actually rated to 150 Lbs. BUT, it would require you getting dressed to get one. Sorry.

I think I got my last one at Home Depot, but I could be wrong.

Doctari.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    I have found "key ring" biners actually rated to 150 Lbs.
    Yup - the ones I have are key ring 'biners and they're rated to 200 lbs. They've got the outfitter's logo on 'em too
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast