Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    I am in receipt of your questions concerning use of Hammocks in AZ State Parks. At this time we do not allow Hammocks or anything else tied to our trees or any other vegetation. This rule is primarily due the limited amount of vegetation and trees at our properties and the need to protect them in our mostly desert environment. Although you make some good points concerning your innovative method of using the Hammocks on trees I can not give you any kind of waiver for their use as you describe. I do however appreciate the information you have provided and will make sure it is discussed at our next rule review which happens every couple years or more often when needed.

I thank you for your interest in AZ State Parks and welcome any future comments, questions or concerns you might have. Thanks...Randy

_______

Capt. Randall D. Furnish

Region II Manager/L.E. Officer

Phone: (520) 349-2276

Email: [email protected]

Web: http://www.AZStateParks.com

Good afternoon, David! Regarding your request on a policy for camping with a hammock, Montana State Parks does not have one. If you can find trees to hang a hammock from that does not cause any damage, that would be okay. The problem is that most of our state parks could not accommodate this need. Most campers here use a cot or a camping pad. Thanks for your interest in Montana State Parks.

Deb McRae

Administrative Assistant

Montana State Parks

Ph: 406-444-3750
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tdkoszegi View Post
    Maybe I'm not seeing it, but I'm skimming through the "ad rules" from Illinois, and I don't see where Hammocks are implicitly or explicitly prohibited. In fact, I would say that hammock camp would qualify as a "primitive camp". I haven't combed through it though, so if anyone else cares to maybe you could clarify further.
    I agree. I am a licensed attorney in Illinois and I have been through the rules and regs pretty thoroughly over the past few years. I think Ms. Foster's interpretation is erroneous. It is true that the regs do not specifically allow hammocks, but the type of camping hammocks that most of us use are clearly an accepted use under the regs.

Section 130.40 (a) states: "Camp" means a single family or group occupying one site that is a designated individual site within a Departmentally managed site, established and maintained for the sole purpose of camping, including the use of tents, trailers or any other type of camping device. (emphasis added.)

Section 130.30 (d) defines a Primitive Camp site. That is, a campsite that cannot be accessed by motor vehicle and which, generally speaking does not have any amenities, e.g. running water or flush toilets. Even Primitive sites are usually within a mile or less of a toilet of some sort.

At Section 130.40 (d) A hammock clearly falls under the definition of a "Camp Shelter" - the portable equipment used by the single family or group for bedding and housing.

However, note that usage is limited at any one camp site.
    Section 130.40(g) Where campgrounds are laid out in defined sites, not more than one camp will be permitted on a site. Where campgrounds are not laid out in sites, the number of camps will be determined by the capacity of the existing sanitary facilities, parking areas, soil and turf conditions, potential social conflicts between campers due to crowding, and similar factors as determined by Department staff.

Of course, Section 110.60 (a) says that camping is allowed only on campsites. A park manager may be able to argue that a hammock set up off to the side of the usual campsite is not on the designated campsite.

Section 110.70(b) states: It shall be unlawful For any person to remove, take, alter, construct, mutilate, deface or destroy any natural or man-made property, equipment, improvement, sign, trail or building, except as otherwise provided by permit, law, regulation, or by Department program activity under the direct supervision of an authorized employee.
    Here is a reg that can be interpreted to prohibit hammocks if hammocks are assumed to" alter, ... mutilate, deface or destroy any natural or man-made property,"

I have yet to be approached by any park personnel when using my hammock. But I believe that most park management people will be OK with a hammock if you follow the rules and stay on a designated campsite.

CAVEAT: But, park managers are in charge and if someone authorized to act for ILDNR says "no hammock here" then one should simply pack up and go.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mamajamb
    Insulation
    Down UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by REV View Post
    This is a great email I just got. If anyone is in this state and hammock's, please use the contact info at the bottom to send in some pictures!

Hello David,
    Thanks for writing to us! Using a hammock instead of a tent is a great idea. We certainly welcome hammocks in our Vermont State Parks. There are no restrictions against their use. The only rule we have which might apply is that damaging trees is prohibited, however securing a hammock as you describe would not hurt the tree.

If you come across any, we would love some photos of hammock use in Vermont parks so we can help promote this fun way to camp (or nap).

Thanks again!
    Nate McKeen
    Chief of Park Operations
    [email protected]

Love That Vermont Attitude! Waiting for Maine to respond

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I started a spread sheet that can be edited to keep track of the above info

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...0E&usp=sharing
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DL with Bug Net
    Tarp
    Guid Gear Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Down UQ, SB TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    i havent seen any comments in this thread so far about Indiana unless i missed it, so would i be right in assuming that most if not all state parks in Indiana are Hammock Friendly?

First off thank you Rev for your time and effort, and for informing me of this issue. I had no idea that this was even an issue (I got my first camping hammock in December). I've used my hammock many times on my property but never in any camp grounds, which I planned on doing soon, I would have been surprised to find this out at the camp ground (state parks).

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    Quote Originally Posted by rcam1977 View Post
    i havent seen any comments in this thread so far about Indiana unless i missed it, so would i be right in assuming that most if not all state parks in Indiana are Hammock Friendly?
    right now there are a few that havent checked in or that im talking to to explain what hammockers do and how were different from what i call recreational hammocking (think pawleys island, screw in hammocks.) indiana has not gotten back with me yet.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    DL with Bug Net
    Tarp
    Guid Gear Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Down UQ, SB TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    thanks for your contrabution to the group, i think what you are doing is awesome.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    Did I miss CO, or have they not replied yet?

This is awesome. Thank you.

Hammock
    TTTM single
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    rope and straps
    I'm far outside os USA but reading with interest how this is going. Great job Rev!
    Ride fast
    Live fun

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast