Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images

WBBB and BIG pad--Help

Need some quick help with determining pad width.

I am getting a BlackBird (1.1DL) sometime later this week, USPS willing, but I have to leave for a week of boyscout camp Sat. morning.
    I am planning to take along a pad to use for any cool weather. I have a new 1/4" 36x48 and a 1/16" (more like 1/8) 72x48 ($8!) Minicel ccf pad (linked from WB site).
    I spent last night out in my ENO DL with just my cheap ~30 deg bag (no pads) and it was 58-60 deg out. I noticed an occasional slight coolness on the backside, but I slept well and felt very comfortable (I have always been a hot sleeper - ask the S.O.).
    So, I need to do some cutting before I leave. I know the standard camp pads at 20" are too narrow, and I also know I'll need to find what works for me, but I need a starting point. I don't want to end up trimming off 10 - 1" strips and waste what I could turn into a set of wings.
    I won't really have time to make an SPE, or fix wings onto it before I leave.
    I am looking at Sgt. Rocks site and he has a fancy pad sandwich thing that starts at 28 inches, goes for 3 feet and then tapers down to 18 inches over the last 2 feet (his starts at 60").

Is that a good starting size for the blackbird - those of you who do use pads with the DL? What width works for you?

3 directions come to mind:
    - Starting with just the 1/4", cut like above, but 48" long. Rig up something for the foot box. Doesn't leave much extra 1/4"materal.
    - I could try something more complex with a narrower central section (~20-24") of the 1/4" on top of a wider 1/16" layer for better flexibility and comfort but still with good side coverage. I like, but what widths?
    - Start cutting a full length pattern with the just 1/16" pad.

Going with #2, using a 20" 1/4" central section would leave a nice chunk of pad for other things, but I am 6' and 190 and I don't want to make it too small.
    I am kind of flying blind with this as I have never used or seen a pad in a hammock and I really don't want to ruin nor waste my foam. I am looking for some starting points or alternative ideas.

Thanks and sorry for length,
    Jason

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I would bring the 36x48 and cut me a short chunk of the other for my footbox. Just toss it in and get your heels on it.
    done deal........ off you go.
    You could trim down the sides of the 48 width in increments as needed and felt.
    Shug
    Last edited by Shug; 06-27-2011 at 09:11.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    what shug said!
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtonGT View Post
    what shug said!
    What Newton said. Also, if you were more or less ok at 58 with NO pad, then it is unlikely you will need anything at all under your feet. Unless you are expecting significantly colder temps of course.

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Thanks guys.

It looks like I'll have Wed to mess around with it - I got the package today!

Jason

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    So, let us know how it worked.

I use a wallyworld CCF pad, but it's too narrow thru the shoulders. I was thinking about cutting it for width and taping it to another section for my kids.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Wallyworld sells two size pads. The smooth blue pad is 20" wide and the waffle pattern pad is 24" wide. I use the 24" wide pad and find it wide enough for my dainty 6ft2 and 285lbs.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    So I'm heading off tomorrow morning for a week of hanging at Goshen Scout camp In VA. I can't think of a better way to break in the new Blackbird. I only had a short time to work on the pad. I took the 36" X 48" and cut it down to 28" Wide. I tapered the last 16" down to 20". It lays in the hammock well, feels fairly comfortable. The width only seems to cover/wrap the the lower half of my shoulders (only a size 42). I'll have more time to play with it this week - should be able to give a better report and pictures.
    jason

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB, HG + Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Wallyworld sells two size pads. The smooth blue pad is 20" wide and the waffle pattern pad is 24" wide. I use the 24" wide pad and find it wide enough for my dainty 6ft2 and 285lbs.
    Hope all works well for you at camp. I took my WBBB with me to camp this year (week ago) and it was the best sleeping experience in several year's of camp. Although you have left, +1 on gunner's experience. The wide pad from wally was fine for me. I have also doubled this up for colder temps with a TR pad. That said, I have had a 3S Phoenix for several months now and will not go back to pads (other than footbox) except in an emergency. Several adult leaders love the feel of hammock now.
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 Double Layer
    Big Mamajamba Sil
    20D Black Mamba, 40D Burrow, 20D Phoenix
    DIY Whoopies and straps

• + New Posts