Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by khai View Post
    Whoops - that was a typo. I leave on June 19th. That's not an awful lot of time for procurement and testing, especially when a lot of the purveyors are small operations who don't just pick items off a shelf in their warehouse and ship. Still, I've spent the better part of the weekend and this evening reading HF, and that ever so slight sinking feeling started to settle in a little while ago. It's not that I think I might be unhappy with a HH setup, but I get the distinct impression that I could do better for a similar investment. Changing will never be easier for me as right now I don't have anything at all. Yes, I have HH stuff on order - but that should be pretty easy to send back.

Before I stumbled upon HF, HH and hammocking in general was a new discovery to me. It seemed like the best thing going, having only experienced really cheap quality canvas hammocks with spreader bars that forced a banana like position. I never envisioned camping in a hammock before late last week. Now my eyes are open to what's possible, but my vision is still a touch fuzzy - and yes, I've still got moisture behind my ears. I'm now trying to make the best decision possible given a bit of time pressure.

I read a bunch more threads on the BB, other hammocks, tarps, HH, and the SuperShelter, and I'm now leaning toward sending the HH box back unopened and going with the following:

WBBB double 1.0 - 702g
    MacCat Deluxe Tarp (SpinnUL) - 285g
    2x2 SPE + 1/4" pads - 145g
    Thermarest Prolite - 310g
    ===============================================
    Total weight: 1442g

The cost is pretty close to the HH package (ULB, large hex fly in sil, SS) but it's over 400g lighter and has the advantage of being able to sit up/reach out of the bug netting without modification. I like the idea of the shelf, too.

One thing I've noticed is that most people seem to go with the 1.1oz fabric over the 1oz. The weight rating is only 20lbs less, and I'm nowhere near 240lbs. Unless there are a lot of people worried about pushing the limit of the 1oz fabric, why not go for the lighter one (or the 1.7 if weight isn't a major concern)?
    Your new list is a good list and you'll be real comfortable in the WBBB. When i was getting switched over to hammocks last year i was going for the HH Explorer, realized i would want the zipper mod and decided to go straight to the WBBB with webbing suspension. I don't regret it.
    I still use the stock webbing setup and its easy and works just fine. Just so you know it can sometimes take 3 wks to get stuff from the east coast states to west coast canada and make sure everyone sends their stuff USPS ,,,,NOT UPS. Brandon at Warbonnet is pretty quick sending stuff out. You might want to just ask him when he could send out the BB and spin tarp.He's in colorado so it would be a bit quicker. If you order the Dutch clips from the HF store order the tarp and hammock stakes as well ( you'll need 6 on the new setup), their good one's.
    bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hennessy also makes the new Expedition Asym with a full length side zipper. If you already have the supershelter on the way, then you could swap the hammock. It weighs a little more but the convenience factor would be much better with a side zip entry.

The last I checked their site, they were offering a free large hex tarp and free snakeskins with each hammock purchase.

Cheers

Brian

Ok - so I called up Hennessy this morning and spoke to a very nice lady who told me that I could just send it back; but because I ordered/paid via telephone they'd have to cut me a cheque once they receive it back rather than just reversing the charges on my cc. Whatever - not a big deal. She also mentioned that they now have a version of the ULB with a zipper and no bottom opening. It's not on their website yet, but apparently it is available. She said that it adds "about an ounce" to the weight of the ULB, and to just let her know if I wanted one. I guess enough people were doing the zipper mod/asking for a top/side entry hammock to make it worth their while to add another option.

Not 30min later, Canada Post showed up with my Hennessy! I gotta say, that was extremely fast. I guess the warehouse must be in Vancouver... I refused the delivery and went and ordered the BB. Then I ordered an SPE, a MacCat Deluxe, and emailed Opie to change my Whoopie Slings from the HH specific ends to the normal way.

I guess I'm fully immersed now - in for a penny, in for a pound...

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by khai View Post
    Ok - so I called up Hennessy this morning and spoke to a very nice lady who told me that I could just send it back; but because I ordered/paid via telephone they'd have to cut me a cheque once they receive it back rather than just reversing the charges on my cc. Whatever - not a big deal. She also mentioned that they now have a version of the ULB with a zipper and no bottom opening. It's not on their website yet, but apparently it is available. She said that it adds "about an ounce" to the weight of the ULB, and to just let her know if I wanted one. I guess enough people were doing the zipper mod/asking for a top/side entry hammock to make it worth their while to add another option.

Not 30min later, Canada Post showed up with my Hennessy! I gotta say, that was extremely fast. I guess the warehouse must be in Vancouver... I refused the delivery and went and ordered the BB. Then I ordered an SPE, a MacCat Deluxe, and emailed Opie to change my Whoopie Slings from the HH specific ends to the normal way.

I guess I'm fully immersed now - in for a penny, in for a pound...
    Congrates. You will love all your new stuff. The BB is great,,OES makes great tarps. When you get your stuff go somewhere, forest area or somewhere you can practice setting it up before you go on your trip. Its not hard just takes a little practice getting a feel for the setup. Have a look at shugs tarp video on the various styles of setup,,,good info. Before you go check the Kootenay lake ferry schedule about sailing waits/ if any. If you think you might be overnighting in the castlegar/nelson area let me know as i can make a few suggestions for camping.
    cheers
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Thanks to everyone thus far for all the helpful comments. I didn't know I;d need to take a Ferry!

I swear the madness never ends... (Is this just the tip of the iceberg? How far down does this rabbit hole go?)

I'm now looking at a GoLite quilt to replace my sleeping bag. It should pack much smaller (primary benefit), weigh a full pound less (secondary benefit), and will probably be easier to use/vent in the hammock as well (tertiary benefit).

A decent deal, too ($160 online). Any experience with these?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12