Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.

Backpack capacity for hammocking

Me again with another silly question...

Ive hiked several hundred miles with my Osprey Atmos 50 while I was still a ground dweller and all my gear fit nicely.

Since converting to a hammock, though the gear is lighter, I find it is slightly bulkier (particularly the UQ).

1. Am I the only one who notices this, or am I just imagining things? (or am I doing something wrong?!)

2. What capacity pack are you using? (not looking for brand/model recommendation, but include it if you know it.)

3. How should I be packing my shelter? (on this last trip to the Smokeys, I just stuffed the hammock, fly and UQ into the lower "sleeping bag compartment" and let it fill that space.)
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post

Ive hiked several hundred miles with my Osprey Atmos 50 while I was still a ground dweller and all my gear fit nicely.

Since converting to a hammock, though the gear is lighter, I find it is slightly bulkier (particularly the UQ).

1. Am I the only one who notices this, or am I just imagining things? (or am I doing something wrong?!)

2. What capacity pack are you using? (not looking for brand/model recommendation, but include it if you know it.)

3. How should I be packing my shelter? (on this last trip to the Smokeys, I just stuffed the hammock, fly and UQ into the lower "sleeping bag compartment" and let it fill that space.)
    I use this pack www.fanaticfringe.com/page5.html the Thompson peak pack.
    3600 cu. I've packed all my gear for a 10F hang last winter in it. About 20lbs.

I usually stuff my hammock in the bottom of the pack in skins. The UQ is in the stuff sack and trash bag. The fly is in the outer pocket.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    I usually want to deploy my hammock first so it's one of the last things to go in my pack..since I have a +5000 cu GoLite Trek pack I have more than enough space...it's one of the reasons I bought the thing...my gear is not heavy but it can be bulky depending on the season...and, EVERYTHING fits inside the pack...there is nothing dangling on the outside...

Hammock
    ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    I have 2 packs. The large one is a Jansport external frame with about 5500+ ci. I use it when I go to summer camp and need to carry everything but the kitchen sink. For weekend camps, I have a 3100+/- ci internal frame. I put the hammock, 2 quilts, 4 stake pegs and the fly in the lower section (all in skins or their own stuff sacks). I put the rest of my gear in the top. I don't usually have to carry any food for scout trips, but there is still room for a couple of days worth.
    Peace,
    Joe

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post

For winter use my pack size increases anyway, but now has a bit extra with the UQ.

I'm presently using a McHale demo pack at 3280ci which easily holds my Speer, Peapod, and MacCat Deluxe, along with all the normal winter gear and supplies for five days. I'm ordering a pack very close to this size as soon as my personal physical measurements are perfectly established.

I have the UQ and hammock near the bottom for good weight distribution, but have the tarp near the top in case I have to pitch it in the rain or other inclement weather conditions before taking the other gear out.
    Hope this helps.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti Under Quilt
    Suspension
    Slings/straps
    I am considering buying the Gearskin for this very reason. I have noticed that the gear is great in weight but bulkier to deal with. And I dont have a UQ yet.

Images
    Hmmm... I'm not sure where the "bulkier" part comes in... Its probably all relative.

Compared to a tent/thermarest/tarp/sleeping bag I'd say its less bulky to carry a hammock/tarp and two quilts that work out about the same as a single sleeping bag. There's no poles, there's no need for a big thick BULKY pad unless you really WANT to bring one. That's part of the advantage of hammocks IMO.

I haven't got my whole system together yet but I see it being both lighter and less bulky when I carry my hammock, with rope, not webbing adjustments and just short webbing for the trees. Sleeping warmth will be a pair of down over and under quilts, and tarp will be a sil-cat cut.
    So many projects, So little time....

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I went out for the first time with my potomic UQ last weekend. I also took my DIY over quilt and blackcat tarp. I had to cram everything in my ULA p2 which is the biggest pack I have. Now I have to rethink things because I need iether a bigger pack or and more compressable UQ. I may save the potomic UQ for back yard. Even the down UQ I've seen are pretty bulky. One thing pads have over UQ is it can go on the outside of you pack. I have a GG 1/4 pad I haven't even unrolled yet. Maybe that and a z-rest will be the way to go until I can make a decent down UQ.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Images
    I only save about a pound using a hammock and tarp instead of my tent. The hammock, tarp, and straps however, can be stored in my pack ( a hugh EMS 7000) along with the big agnes insulated air pad. The blue walmart pad is in a stuffed sack tied vertically to the side of my pack, just as it would be if I had a tent instead. If I used my tent, it would be strapped across the top of the pack. For me, the attraction of the hammock over the tent is ease of setup and sleeping comfort.

Images
    My tent is an expedition grade two person tent weighs close to 9 lbs...

My DIY hammock and suspension takes up about a third the volume and weighs about 2 lbs. Adding a siltarp (I have a 10x12 rectangular) that weighs about 1.5 lbs. So far thats a HUGE savings for me close to 6 lbs and is about 2/3 the volume of my tent when packed.

I too carried my tent outside the pack, but still I can do the same with the hammock in a nicely made stuff sack. I happen to have one that's the size of a TIGHTLY rolled thermarest. It'll hold hammock, suspension and tarp without a problem.
    So many projects, So little time....

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast