Hammock
    DIY Nest
    Insulation
    Old Bag
    Suspension
    Huggahs

Whats the deal with down?

Hi, I've been into this injection game for a few weeks now, even made myself two real nice hammocks. Since I can sew a sew a straight stitch I purchased materials to make 2 down quilts with matching under-quilts (to be used on the AT this spring/ summer. As my down source I selected a comforter on ebay, it came new with 50oz. of "100% 750fp goose down" for $129 including shipping.

I received the comforter last night and can see through the packaging a tag that says "minimum 75%" down. I contacted the seller and he stated that this was to fulfill a legal requirement, but is that true? I know down can't be separated 100% from feather material, but is 75% adequate for thru-hiking abuse? Last question, know the fill power reflects the volume of the down per ounce, is this shift in volume a result of additional feather material; as in 750fp would always be a min. 75%, and 850fp would be 85% or at least in the vicinity?

Thanks for any help, the seller would take the comforter back, but if it is what I'm looking for I would be very happy.

-Bootsah

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Fill power is measured in cubic inches per ounce. The higher the number, the more loft the down has and therefore insulates better. Using a lower fill power means you need to use more of it to achieve the same insulating ability as a higher fill power. That's my basic understanding anyways.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    The seller is correct. I believe that all down products are sold with similar tags, had a tag just like that in the down jacket I have.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Hammock
    Kammock Roo, HH Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    HeX
    Insulation
    EE 20* TQ & DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dynex Cinch Buckle
    I purchased a pound of down from downlite and I think it was labeled as 95/5.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Items of all sorts which come into contact with human skin must be labeled for content under US law. I don't know about world wide. Beyond that all sorts of games can be and are played. Hypothetical example... 100% of the down is 75% 750 fp but the down only makes up 30% of the total fill. They can still advertise on the bag 100% 750 fp down but the tag on the quilt must be more correct and specific.

It's for reasons like that I tend to steer clear of the quilt/pillow "deals" you find out there. They may not be as good as they appear.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Hypothetical example... 100% of the down is 75% 750 fp but the down only makes up 30% of the total fill. They can still advertise on the bag 100% 750 fp down but the tag on the quilt must be more correct and specific.
    It's the same for bread that advertises "made with whole wheat." The portion of wheat that is whole wheat might be a small fraction.

Another reason to despise modern American corporate "gotcha capitalism." They are no better than snake oil salesmen in many cases and too rarely any better than government regulations require. The few exceptions are stellar if only by comparison.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Does anyone have an opinion on this pillow as a possible source of down?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1200TC-LUXUR.../140864472160?

It claims to be 100% goose down, 750 fill power, with 30 oz of fill weight. If true, that's a very good deal—enough for a 20° top+underquilt set for just $85. It's a little fishy though, as the listing allows you select firmness and size but only lists 1 value for fill weight. The description also looks to be copied and pasted as it refers to a 'comforter' in a couple places.

Images
    75% are guaranteed to be intact down clusters. The remaining 25% can be down fibers or feather portions. A product can be labeled as "minimum 75% down" and still meet the 750fp advertised, but manufacturers might want to label it with the 85% minimum or 90% minimum needed to reach 750fp.

http://www.idfl.com/pdfs/IDFL%20Fill...%20Steam%20EN/

The minimum 75% down label can also be used on 450fp and 550fp. US law does not require Fill Power claims to appear on the law label. For instance, duck down meeting the law label requirements for 75% down might be 500fill power, or to stay within the advertising limits for fill power (a few % tolerance) might be advertised as 450fp.

http://www.idfl.com/pdfs/IDFL%20Stan...SA%20Labeling/

http://www.idfl.com/pdfs/IDFL%20Stan...and%20Answers/
    Last edited by OneEye; 10-12-2012 at 18:08. Reason: clarification

• + New Posts