DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben,12x8.5
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Wopi,Togl,TreHugr

Help w/ curved baffles

Going to make three UQ's and three top quilts with 1.1 ripstop have 7lbs of 800 down. UQ1-72x44x4 UQ2-66x42x4 UQ3- 60x42x4. Not sure on how many baffles for each quilt thinking 8 to 9 baffles. Also will dart 4 to six inches going to do more research on it as well as pleat the ends. What exactly is pleating by the way guessing has something to do with closing the ends. Baffles will run length of UQ.. The latest tweak going around the grape vine are to cut your no see-um on a curve. Are there any general guide lines to cutting these baffles. My best thought is to give it a 2" overall curve. Interested in good links are helpful critical advise for figuring and sewing darts, pleats, and radial baffles. If you have any interesting ideas or thoughts for these quilts share them please they might make it in to my design. For the top quilts I have not come up with the dimensions yet but still deciding on the best foot box configuration. I am used to closed foot box but I want it to look nice. I am open to the idea of having a cinched foot box with snaps haven't decided what are your thoughts. Will have curved baffles as well. I have ordered 18 yards of noseeum because of the curve cut I figure there will be loss of material but I am looking for the best performance with these quilts. Baffles will be cut at 5 inches to allow for a 1/4 to 1/2 inch seam allowance to sew to liner and shell. Well I hope I can find some good answers and get some good feedback thank you. Also ordering 16 yards of cuben fiber with cuben tape 8 yards of ultra sil, a couple hundred feet of dyna glide, zing it, and enough dutch hardware to climb mount Everest. Plan is once these quilts are knocked out making two cuben tarps possibly one with doors other without and a sil tarp not sure what I'm gona do with it thinking about making a clone. I have made quilts and tarps and garments so these projects will pretty time consuming but lots of fun.
    Last edited by SamuelJD; 09-27-2011 at 21:29. Reason: fix errors

Hammock
    11' Mutton Chop
    Tarp
    Camo Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    Loco Libre!
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images

Thumbs up

Wow! Doood, take lots of pics!
    Have you made much gear before? Looking forward to following your progress.
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben,12x8.5
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Wopi,Togl,TreHugr
    Sewing is in my blood. Yah I have made three other quilts a tarp and some jackets.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuelJD View Post
    ...have 7lbs of 800 down.
    Seven POUNDS of 800 fill???

At normal prices that would be over $1000 worth of down. Do you have a special, low price source? Care to share your secret?

Thanks,
    Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Here is one way to get it done...
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=26542
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ditto on knowing if you have some super down hook up.

Wouldn't mind getting a buttload of this stuff if the price was right.

Fronkey

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben,12x8.5
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Wopi,Togl,TreHugr
    Looking for some advice on making quilts. Enjoyed your link Mad77 read all the way through will refer to it when making quilts. I havent decided on dart length. Also I plan to run the noseeum to the end of the liner shell and tuck the material fold raw edge inward pin sew I'll see when the fabric is in front of me. Mad77 from your post do you think my outer shell should be 4 inches wider on each side to account for the 4 inch baffle height. On the curve of the baffles would cutting them to the sag of the hammock be to extreme or allow it to fit like a custom mold around your body in the hammock hmmmm.

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben,12x8.5
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Wopi,Togl,TreHugr
    Found Cuben Fiber .5oz for $20, .7oz for $21. Picking up Cuben Fiber this week looks like the tarps will be finished before I finish the quilts going to use cuben double sided tape, reinforce the edges with cuben probably 11'x8', 11'9, 12'9 are possible dimensional. Looking at making one tarp w/ doors one without and planning on making a sil tarp. Funny just thinking about it when I sew it I will have to use masking tape instead of pinning hehe. But tarps are easy to make I am much more concerned with making and dealing with the quilts.

Hammock
    DIY insulated
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuelJD View Post
    Found Cuben Fiber .5oz for $20, .7oz for $21. Picking up Cuben Fiber this week looks like the tarps will be finished before I finish the quilts going to use cuben double sided tape, reinforce the edges with cuben probably 11'x8', 11'9, 12'9 are possible dimensional. Looking at making one tarp w/ doors one without and planning on making a sil tarp. Funny just thinking about it when I sew it I will have to use masking tape instead of pinning hehe. But tarps are easy to make I am much more concerned with making and dealing with the quilts.
    Looks like you might be close enough to pick up the cuben in person.
    That will be nice since they charge a $15 packing fee plus about twice that for shipping. (I understand these costs, just want to make sure people are aware.) The OD green is more expensive, but I felt it was worth it for my projects.

If you haven't seen this write up and video yet, check it out.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=36990

For the underquilts, the question can be difficult to answer.
    The main reason is because of the stretch in your hammock.

some folks have alluded to loading their hammock, and taking measurements, etc.

The problem is that you (I) will not always lay in the hammock the same way, and things stretch differently when you move around.

UQs can be tricky to keep adjusted right, but a lot of people deal with it.

The reason I answer like this is because I get the feeling you are ready to attack this with the "perfect" shape built into the quilt.
    Unfortunately, that shape is ever changing. Including when the humidity makes big changes.

Using other successful quilts as a guide will get you going in a decent direction.

Good luck, and many comfy nights await you

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben,12x8.5
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Wopi,Togl,TreHugr
    Absolutely I live where Cuben is made. Its like being at the center of the DIY ultralight enthusiast dream. I have to say that the video will help me out a lot thank you. As far as your underquilt comment loading, stretch, perfect shape, humidity, by loading do you mean the weight of the UQ? Stretch is good it gives the underquilt give and pull.This can be accounted for in size, shape, and the suspension on which it hangs. This answers perfect shape as in the construction of a underquilt designed to hang under a hammock can have critiques designed in to the construction such as darts to consolidate UQ when head and foot end are cinched and to remove excess. Pleats which give the UQ a cosmetic as well give the hammock extra room for loft and a solid time tested way to sew material together in conjunction with use. Radial baffles alowing for less compression when someone lays in a hammock. Taken in to account the size, shape, materials, the way it is suspended.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast